Quantcast

The "wherethefuckdoesthisbelonganyway" thread

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Portland is a hot mess and things need to change for sure. But it's a no win situation.

I can think of a winning situation

But siccing cops on destitute people is never it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just spoke with someone who lives near Hollywood and went to visitPortland. I almost fell over when he said they don’t have homeless on the streets like we do here. I told him he might’ve just been in a good part of town.
When I last worked downtown, there was a spot at the bottom of the Morrison bridge that started with one tent that quickly became 5 tents and 20ish people. My desk looked right at it. They would come through with hazmat trucks and clear it all out. Then a week later, they would be back.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
When I last worked downtown, there was a spot at the bottom of the Morrison bridge that started with one tent that quickly became 5 tents and 20ish people. My desk looked right at it. They would come through with hazmat trucks and clear it all out. Then a week later, they would be back.
I took a drive down Sunset Blvd last night and the number of folks I saw on the street was depressing. It’s a “no win” situation here too. We have the same tents to cleaning crew back to tents cycle. Multiple vocal locals have differing opinions on how to clean things up, but nobody can agree on the “how” despite wanting the same end.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I almost fell over when he said they don’t have homeless on the streets like we do here. I told him he might’ve just been in a good part of town.
"good part"

sidenote: I just googled 'white people' looking for an image to drive home the above point. Like I've googled 'white people' probably a hundred times before. Both duckduckgo and masked google searches bring up image after image of either black civil rights leaders, george floyd, or similar.

We've done it! We've finally replaced™ the white people! :rofl:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I took a drive down Sunset Blvd last night and the number of folks I saw on the street was depressing. It’s a “no win” situation here too. We have the same tents to cleaning crew back to tents cycle. Multiple vocal locals have differing opinions on how to clean things up, but nobody can agree on the “how” despite wanting the same end.
They have been building safe stay places, but some folks have zero interest in a "drug free space" in which to do heroin. What we need is a drug space where folks are free to shoot up whatever they want because this is America, or something.

<edit> last I heard Portland still had the cheapest black tar heroin in the country, so there is that, too

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
They have been building safe stay places, but some folks have zero interest in a "drug free space" in which to do heroin. What we need is a drug space where folks are free to shoot up whatever they want because this is America, or something.

<edit> last I heard Portland still had the cheapest black tar heroin in the country, so there is that, too
The lack of interest in adhering to curfew and substance restrictions is definitely an issue that comes up here.

Did the Boise ruling around 2019 seem to trigger a shift in the situation? It certainly seems like it did in my part of town.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan

Media dude killed by a wrecking jeep in an offroad race. My buddies were there race mechanic-ing for another team. Guess the dude was killed instantly.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Seriously.

Kanye is what happens when Mental Illness meets Tons of Money. He gets to be "eccentric", whereas if he were poor, he'd have been murdered by a cop by now for some minor traffic infraction.

I actually feel a slight bit of sympathy for him. He has enough money to get the help he needs, but he's surrounded by hangers-on and yes men who feed his ego and delusions of grandeur. It's only a matter of time until he dies an easily preventable death.
Crazy in the coconut.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
this tears me up. I was a dive master for Truth Aquatics in the 80s. I know the owners of Truth Aquatics, The Captain of the Conception, The trip leader was my ex bosses daughter, She burned to death in the fire, I knew her since birth

I remember this. How can he live with himself? He and the other’s just jumped ship no? No Alarm on the Ship Eric? The Cap is the Last Leave ship. I would Love to read more of you’re thoughts on this tragic story Eric.

Avy