Quantcast

The Whiskey THread...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I like whiskey... anyone want to reccomend some good ones.

My most bought brands are, Weller 107, Old RipVan Winkle, Old Grandad 114. These are bang for the buck whiskeys, not to pricey but stilll have good flavor.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Acadian said:
I have tried:
Maker's Mark
Rock Hill Farms
Woodford
Jack

but I always keep coming back to MM :drool:
I always come back to Weller 107 Antique... and I've had all those too. My favorite of the bunch you listed is Woodford (good shizz right there).

I just dont understand the Makers and the knob obsession with people. They are just okay whiskey in my book. I'll take Evans single Barrel over either one (thats if I want a weak whiskey).

crapacity

Chimp
Jul 20, 2005
Buffalo Trace, fine Kentucky bourbon. It falls somewhere between Makers and Knob Creek in sweetness and bite, and is one of the best for the price. I am not sure how widely available it is...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like the Woodford Reserve very much. Finest I have ever had. My Grandpa always said "better to catch a buzz on the goodstuff the get drunk on cheapstuff".

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
golgiaparatus said:
I like whiskey... anyone want to reccomend some good ones.
Well, lots of good ones in this thread, but I'll reccomend one NOT to drink.
Old Crow :dead:
Back in May I had a little Derby Day festival, and we were drinking mint juleps. The first couple of rounds were with Jack (no need to waste the good stuff on sweet & mintys) but someone brought over a bottle of Old Crow. It went into the last batch, but with some left over.

Now I'm not typically a whiskey drinker in the summer, but this & the other whiskey thread got me thirsty for some. Came home, saw the Crow, thought WTF, and poured myself one.
:blah:
Might harsh, mighty harsh.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Benchmark. $8/liter and it kicks the crap out of Jack (as if that's difficult)

Walker Red/Black/Green aren't too bad either.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I like bourbon so I can be happy just sitting down with a glass of Beam. So I'm prolly not a good person to ask. But I've been trying some of the "specialty" bourbons lately. I bought some of that Booker's, which is really good. Knob Creek is tasty. Can't go wrong with Makers. Damn, now I'm getting thirsty. :drool:

Aug 2, 2005
The Island
Makers, Knob Creek, Crown Royal = all good choices, But when I want to go real smooth I reach for the real old stuff.....I got my hands on a 1976 Canadian Club that is sooooooo smooth, or some '83 vintage. Good stuff indeed! Now I need to go get some ice! :thumb:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I bough a handle of Jim Beam Black last week on sale. Pretty good schtuff.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Haven't really developed a taste for anything other than good old scotch. Macallan, Oban, etc....I've had MM, Woodford, Jack, etc., can't really get into it.