Quantcast

The White-Trash Privilege and Sedition Thread.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
@kidwoo , we know exactly how you feel about Patagonia, the virtue signaling is a bit cloying. But Yvonne just put his money where is mouth is here.
Not entirely sure what to make of it. There is an REI opening here, so that probably factored into the decision somewhat.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
@kidwoo , we know exactly how you feel about Patagonia, the virtue signaling is a bit cloying. But Yvonne just put his money where is mouth is here.
Not entirely sure what to make of it. There is an REI opening here, so that probably factored into the decision somewhat.
LOL

more virtue signaling bullshit

Many companies would probably endlessly boast that their clothing is good enough for the world’s toughest soldiers, working in the world’s toughest conditions, but Patagonia is pretty quiet about that. Then again, some of Patagonia’s more stridently liberal customers, who see the U.S. military as an inherently imperialistic or destructive force, might not see the company’s military contracts as a sin that they can excuse or forgive.

Patagonia’s pro program, for “qualified outdoor professionals, environmental grant recipients, and outdoor industry partners,” stops short of police, but a Google cache of a law enforcement discounts detail page from this winter explains the terms of the company’s unspecified “not public and highly discretionary” discount, one which is “only offered to a very select section of the armed forces and law enforcement.”

They're an image company as much as they are a clothing company (a very opportunistic clothing company at that). They are literally the brand of the biggest gentrifiers while blathering on about equity and equality.

How much you wanna bet that decision came only after a robust analysis of how much merchandise actually moves through the ski area stores? They know they don't need them.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
We won’t talk about Camelbak and Smith for now.
Camelback I know they come FROM military supply to the gentry vanlife, don't know about smith. They just do shootin shades?

Either way, patagonia definitely wants you to know certain things about them and will shout it loudly, and they'll also just straight up hide things from the public under different names when they think it doesn't mesh with the signal they want to send to rich white liberalia

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yea, Smith makes a ‘tactical’ line.
Just looked this up:

Wow, they don't even mention it. Camelback was an invention for desert storm in the early 90s. They didn't use to hide it, they actually used to brag about it back when everyone was scared to be called unpatriotic. I don't doubt the little story they tell is true but they got their first big cash infusion from kuwait invasions.

Note the "30+ years" part, and then think about when you first saw them sold to bike riders

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I think I got my first Camelbak in ‘90/91 or something? I won it at a local race.
It was just a sleeve With straps on it. it was before Kuwait.
it was called ‘thermal bak’

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think I got my first Camelbak in ‘90/91 or something? I won it at a local race.
It was just a sleeve With straps on it. it was before Kuwait.
it was called ‘thermal bak’
I have one of the "classic" versions. I find it useful for some stuff, especially under a jacket in the winter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
it was before Kuwait.

timeline

They used to tout their contractor status regardless. Needless to say you and I both know they didn't blow up (heh) until the mid 90s. I do know by the time I got ahold of one around then, they were being sold as "this is the shit soldiers use." I worked at a bike shop then and that was the rep talk.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have one of the "classic" versions. I find it useful for some stuff, especially under a jacket in the winter.
I have one from Desert Storm somewhere. It might be in a box, my daughter used to use it on rides, I have had a Mule since the mid 90's?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
even if he had already been sentenced, they still could have charged him after the fact since it was new evidence.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout