Quantcast

The White-Trash Privilege and Sedition Thread.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
And probably some legislation further loosening hammer restrictions on airplanes and courtrooms
True story: I had to go to the courthouse to get out of jury duty. Actually remembered to leave my pocket knife, all 1.5" of it, at the studio this time. When I got to the Bailiffs and the metal detector, one asked if I had any weapons. To which I replied by pulling out my reading glasses and asking, "Do these count ?". Without skipping a beat the Bailiff said, "only in North Carolina". :rofl:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
True story: I had to go to the courthouse to get out of jury duty. Actually remembered to leave my pocket knife, all 1.5" of it, at the studio this time. When I got to the Bailiffs and the metal detector, one asked if I had any weapons. To which I replied by pulling out my reading glasses and asking, "Do these count ?". Without skipping a beat the Bailiff said, "only in North Carolina". :rofl:
reading glasses arent allowed in court there?

I have so many hillbilly judge jokes forming, my head is swimming...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Ah, I see on twitter all the election law, viral disease, foreign policy, global economy, climate experts all the sudden know everything there is about hammers.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Canadian's cause violence?!?!?!?!
Oh dear god..... It fits! It's always the quiet ones that are the psycho's.
humor...

as far as talking points....

hmmmm....

first saw it on sirius xm app....thought san francisco....crazy white guy...normal day...

saw news crawl on muted tv in pizza place for about 2 seconds...ignored it...

read something later on cnn....crazy guy...nudist...lives in storage building...types stupid shit on the internet....where's nancy...only thought....crazy fucking white guy...

another day in the usa...

not once did i think jan 6 bullshit....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
mayo that isn't dukes and sweet tea that is not sweet enough.....could be viewed as poison...

Screenshot_20221029-081305_Instagram.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
All of Garden was jumping.

$400?

Four hundred dollars??????

I can't tell if that's supposed to be a lot or a little.
That's like 10 dudes. Why is that caged like some kind of scandalous thing? Family reunions are going to really blow their minds.

Hey @slyfink Remember when I talked about pRoUd lIBeRaLs ignoring things that actually matter because there was a template for hating poor white trash that just felt better? And you lost your shit for some reason? Here's an example. The fucking oath keepers, who tried to literally overthrow our government, get a headline about an investigation that just makes fun of their shitty restaurant choices, and not really why they're even relevant. The point is not to inform anyone of anything significant, but to make rich people feel better about their own lives.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
$400?

Four hundred dollars??????

I can't tell if that's supposed to be a lot or a little.
That's like 10 dudes. Why is that caged like some kind of scandalous thing? Family reunions are going to really blow their minds.

Hey @slyfink Remember when I talked about pRoUd lIBeRaLs ignoring things that actually matter because there was a template for hating poor white trash that just felt better? And you lost your shit for some reason? Here's an example. The fucking oath keepers, who tried to literally overthrow our government, get a headline about an investigation that just makes fun of their shitty restaurant choices, and not really why they're even relevant. The point is not to inform anyone of anything significant, but to make rich people feel better about their own lives.
It's not so much that I disagree with the point that wealthy people contribute to climate change at a greater rate than most, or even that it is easier for them to "take climate action", even if it's just tokenism (see this article here, I fully agree), it's just that any time climate action is mentioned, you immediately point the finger at other people. it's always someone else's fault, and someone else should be responsible.

The fact is, climate change is a 'tragedy of the commons' situation. no one pays for the pollution, but everyone feels the effect. there is no 'pure' market solution to this (in a libertarian sense), and so government actions that correct the market failures are necessary. there is also no perfect policy to solve this. governments look at what the largest source of emissions are, and try and develop policies that address those. (I know this because this is what I do, and we observe what other governments are doing, and often interact and share with them). Some policies are more palatable than others, while some - however effective they might be - are just not 'sellable' to the voting public. so we have to be pragmatic. not let 'best' get in the way of good.

In a sense, it's the "ignoring things that actually matter" part of your statement that I have a hard time with. I don't think that's true, and I don't think anything you have contributed to the debate/discourse helps. so in that sense, you're part of the problem too. that's my beef. and what's frustrating is that you're obviously a smart person, and I bet you know all this already.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's not so much that I disagree with the point that wealthy people contribute to climate change at a greater rate than most, or even that it is easier for them to "take climate action", even if it's just tokenism (see this article here, I fully agree), it's just that any time climate action is mentioned, you immediately point the finger at other people. it's always someone else's fault, and someone else should be responsible.

The fact is, climate change is a 'tragedy of the commons' situation. no one pays for the pollution, but everyone feels the effect. there is no 'pure' market solution to this (in a libertarian sense), and so government actions that correct the market failures are necessary. there is also no perfect policy to solve this. governments look at what the largest source of emissions are, and try and develop policies that address those. (I know this because this is what I do, and we observe what other governments are doing, and often interact and share with them). Some policies are more palatable than others, while some - however effective they might be - are just not 'sellable' to the voting public. so we have to be pragmatic. not let 'best' get in the way of good.

In a sense, it's the "ignoring things that actually matter" part of your statement that I have a hard time with. I don't think that's true, and I don't think anything you have contributed to the debate/discourse helps. so in that sense, you're part of the problem too. that's my beef. and what's frustrating is that you're obviously a smart person, and I bet you know all this already.
My point was that the NYT piece is the exact right audience, when you said it was the wrong one.

I've worked in environmental science my entire adult life. Because real problems need real solutions based on real data. I grew up in a very polluting state where the rivers smelled like diesel. It's disgusting. I actually do work that helps address things like that in real life, not make people feel good, which is what a lot what's caged as 'real climate action' really is.

"Real climate action" is not some dumbass discovering receding glaciers 30 years after everyone else knew well and good it's been going on, thinking it was a result of some sort of nebulous concept that still wasn't quite yet real, until his idiot self gets on airplanes and boats to go help advance it just so he can see it with his own eyes. Yet in many ways, that's exactly what a lot of the NYT reading audience still continues to live like. Jet setting douchebags who think they're on the right 'side' just because they bought a tesla or give money to the sierra club. It's just more shitty consumerism with a coat of paint. And yes think they're smarter than everyone else because they bought carbon credits and understand 'the real problems'.

The only thing I despise more than belligerence is blatant hypocrisy from the worst offenders who point fingers. See christian evangelicals in the US, and at least 90% of the so called environmental movement in this country. They sell feel good, not solutions. It's as bad as exxon putting out misinformation in the 80s to suppress data. Because it makes people think they're making some kind of difference when it's just smoke screen to keep them consuming without guilt. Trust me. I know these people. They all take ski and bike lessons from friends of mine. They buy up entire gated neighborhoods located right next to the municipal airport so their private drivers can have them in their 8th home in 5 short minutes.

What you see as 'shifting blame' is not me trying to get out from under anything. You just keep making assumptions about where I'm coming from that are just incredibly off base.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My point was that the NYT piece is the exact right audience, when you said it was the wrong one.

I've worked in environmental science my entire adult life. Because real problems need real solutions based on real data. I grew up in a very polluting state where the rivers smelled like diesel. It's disgusting. I actually do work that helps address things like that in real life, not make people feel good, which is what a lot what's caged as 'real climate action' really is.

"Real climate action" is not some dumbass discovering receding glaciers 30 years after everyone else knew well and good it's been going on, thinking it was a result of some sort of nebulous concept that still wasn't quite yet real, until his idiot self gets on airplanes and boats to go help advance it just so he can see it with his own eyes. Yet in many ways, that's exactly what a lot of the NYT reading audience still continues to live like. Jet setting douchebags who think they're on the right 'side' just because they bought a tesla or give money to the sierra club. It's just more shitty consumerism with a coat of paint. And yes think they're smarter than everyone else because they bought carbon credits and understand 'the real problems'.

The only thing I despise more than belligerence is blatant hypocrisy from the worst offenders who point fingers. See christian evangelicals in the US, and at least 90% of the so called environmental movement in this country. They sell feel good, not solutions. It's as bad as exxon putting out misinformation in the 80s to suppress data. Because it makes people think they're making some kind of difference when it's just smoke screen to keep them consuming without guilt. Trust me. I know these people. They all take ski and bike lessons from friends of mine. They buy up entire gated neighborhoods located right next to the municipal airport so their private drivers can have them in their 8th home in 5 short minutes.

What you see as 'shifting blame' is not me trying to get out from under anything. You just keep making assumptions about where I'm coming from that are just incredibly off base.

Relax and have a zero carbon beer

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I recently ordered a Qalo ring, because I've lost some weight and I didn't want to lose my wedding ring; it's gotten a little loose with the weight loss and cooler weather. They tacked on a small fee to make the order carbon neutral. Goddamn, that felt good. I'm a little bit better than the average citizen now.