Quantcast

The White-Trash Privilege and Sedition Thread.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Prison is not exactly what this lady needs

“I’ve been on a spiritual journey,” St Cyr said, then she launched into a bizarre 45-minute rant — until the judge cut her off with a stern warning to wrap up — on a series of topics, including her beliefs about the air we breathe, her spiritual being, radio frequencies, her difficult upbringing, and a woman she watched get arrested on a playground during the Covid pandemic.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Why is this not all over the real news, if it has legs?
Or was it all ‘legal’, and he is bragging about it?
The screenshot that @jonKranked posted kinda makes it sound like there were mail in ballots that were actually filled out and blocked. According to the links below, he sued the Supreme Court of Texas and prevented the application for the ballots even being sent. All legal-like and shit.

ETA: Also that’s old AF news. Like, summer of ‘21 kind of old.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The screenshot that @jonKranked posted kinda makes it sound like there were mail in ballots that were actually filled out and blocked. According to the links below, he sued the Supreme Court of Texas and prevented the application for the ballots even being sent. All legal-like and shit.

ETA: Also that’s old AF news. Like, summer of ‘21 kind of old.

so he stopped them from being sent out, not stopped them from being counted, correct?

1698848306471.png

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
so he stopped them from being sent out, not stopped them from being counted, correct?

View attachment 202959
He introduced litigation that prompted the TX Supreme Court to block applications (requests) for mail-in ballots from being sent out to ~2.5 million people.

I agree that the screen capture you posted is technically correct… from a certain point of view. But the choice of words could be interpreted that he blocked completed mail-in ballots from being counted, which could have a much more heightened emotional response in my opinion. “Spin” like that only serves one purpose, and that’s to entrench an “us vs. them” mindset on the viewer.

That’s why I think that details and nuance matter in situations like this. That is, where we are in effect demonizing “the other side” for not playing fair. I think it’s important to be quite exact in the specifics, those actual pesky facts, and be as objective as we can.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending Paxton here. 100% believe that mail in voting is fully legit and should be more widely utilized than it is. And I‘m of the opinion the actions that Paxton took are quite undemocratic, even though they were “legal“. It’s absolutely another example of a conservative player effectively taking the right/ability to vote away from the people.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
He introduced litigation that prompted the TX Supreme Court to block applications (requests) for mail-in ballots from being sent out to ~2.5 million people.

I agree that the screen capture you posted is technically correct… from a certain point of view. But the choice of words could be interpreted that he blocked completed mail-in ballots from being counted, which could have a much more heightened emotional response in my opinion. “Spin” like that only serves one purpose, and that’s to entrench an “us vs. them” mindset on the viewer.

That’s why I think that details and nuance matter in situations like this. That is, where we are in effect demonizing “the other side” for not playing fair. I think it’s important to be quite exact in the specifics, those actual pesky facts, and be as objective as we can.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not defending Paxton here. 100% believe that mail in voting is fully legit and should be more widely utilized than it is. And I‘m of the opinion the actions that Paxton took are quite undemocratic, even though they were “legal“. It’s absolutely another example of a conservative player effectively taking the right/ability to vote away from the people.
oh certainly agree that the devil is in the details on procedural stuff like this. effectively the same end result though.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
oh certainly agree that the devil is in the details on procedural stuff like this. effectively the same end result though.
Not likely the same end result.

Blocking applications for or actual mail-in ballots from being sent out does not necessarily mean votes are not being counted, as those people are still able to vote in person. Granted, a certain percentage of those people who would have mailed in a ballot may elect to not cast an in person vote, but they do have that option. At least in theory.

Blocking actual ballots/votes from being counted is different, for what are hopefully obvious reasons.

Again, in my opinion it’s about the spin. The sensationalism. The memes that serve only as a divisive mechanism. It’s not just this specific example, there have been plenty of other posts made about “Republicans have done this or that or the other thing and they’re totally fucking terrible” that play a bit too fast and loose with actual facts and have that sensationalist spin on them, and personally I think we need to check our biases and make sure we’re not just being part of the (overall) problem.