Quantcast

the Wings thread

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
now attempting to master traditional buffalo sauce on the grill. first attempt wasn't bad, but definitely need to be more crispy. i think i need either more grilling time, temp, or both. may also attempt to grill, sauce, then toss back on the grill.

View attachment 192975
Those look beautiful J. The wings on Left were once on the on the right? Is that correct? The Skin is critical to a wing. Everything is important as I am sure you are aware. You are being to hard on yourself. A bbq to a fry is impossible to create. They will be different,again the skin takes on a different texture. For me,for what you are trying todo is like this.

season the wings,whole wings only for me. I would only Cut them after cooking,before the sauce. BBQ the wings and eat a whole wing when you think they are done. The skin must break away as you bite through it. Not springy,or need to pull on it for a clean bite,nor can it be or mushy,soft. Just a little effort. Then I put them in a Huge bowl and toss,then serve asap. Anyway,hope this helps.

Avy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Those look beautiful J. The wings on Left were once on the on the right? Is that correct? The Skin is critical to a wing. Everything is important as I am sure you are aware. You are being to hard on yourself. A bbq to a fry is impossible to create. They will be different,again the skin takes on a different texture. For me,for what you are trying todo is like this.
no, the wings on the left were cooked plain then tossed in sauce. the wings on the right were coated with dry rub prior to cooking. the dry rub method i've been using for a while, but am working on developing a way to grill wings with traditional buffalo sauce the way i like them. i think they weren't quite crispy enough because i was cooking them alongside the dry rub wings and as didn't get cooked hot enough or long enough. also i was hungry and being impatient. i only did a few that way in case i didn't like how they turned out i wouldn't be unhappy with the entire batch.

impossible to recreate? i'm not tryin to recreate it. i'm trying to make it better. or get as close as possible that you can tell the difference. i call it wings for science because i will repeatedly try different methods making tweaks along the way to improve them as much as possible. last night i tried a different method - grilled at a higher temp for longer, which improved it, but not as much as i was hoping. a couple of them i threw back on the grill after tossing them in the sauce, and that was what got it where i want it. now to experiment more from there.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Yinzers cook them on the Weber. Hot side cold side method. Takes forever and diligence is needed. They use frozen wings from Tops. Grilled plain. Butter and Franks then returned to the cold side to finish. Edit: Found the quaker state bottle in the garbage. They took all the leftover wings to the Hotel.

Last edited: