Quantcast

the Wings thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hi, my name's jonkranked and i'm a wingaholic. i've finally found an excellent method of cooking wings that isn't deep frying. wife got me an air fryer for fathers day. tried 3 different methods for wings with it.

the first 2 methods involved just straight cooking them; 24 minutes at 375F, then 6 minutes at 400F. I laid the batch out, half i left plain, no coating of any kind. the other half i did a light coating of vegetable oil. both turned out well cooked, and very crispy, then tossed in wing sauce. the ones with no oil were slightly crispier. awesome wings, no oil at all? WIN.

the next batch i used a dry rub. cooked for about 20 minutes. also excellent.

will continue the wing experiments. for science.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
So I picked up a double layer rack for it to increase how many I can cook at once. I did 16 dry rub wings last night. They didn't turn out as crispy as the first batch, which was only 8 in a single layer. I don't think there was enough space for airflow. Will try again with 12, but might have to stick with 8 ultimately for ideal results.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anybody have any luck smoking wings with an electric smoker? Tried various methods but the skin always ends up gummy.
I think someone I know has... I'll ask.

There's a pizza place by me that does wings in a wood fired brick oven. Hands down best wings I've ever had.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Rice flour works like a champ for the added crisp. Honey, butter, and lemon to finish.

Edit: I like them. However others do not. I make really good wings with other methods. People like them better. I understand.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cook them with salt and pepper. Once you perfect them plain. Then proceed to sauce them. I made Lemon Pepper butter wings in the air fryer. Oh my.... I thought I was in Atlanta...

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
I have found some recipes for it online. But I’m not sure as they maybe just be pale imitations of the real thing.

On the plus side I am really keen try some wings in the air fryer.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
We have to figure out a way to get him some Old Bay? I put some on Supermarket Macaroni salad today for the win. It also transforms Tuna salad into a flavor fest. Old bay Tuna melts... Who knew?
I'm in.
I have found some recipes for it online. But I’m not sure as they maybe just be pale imitations of the real thing.

On the plus side I am really keen try some wings in the air fryer.
Don't worry, we got this! And you will not be disappointed with the fryer.