Quantcast

the Wings thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Air fryer Pirogies. Cannot believe how good they were... We used Sauer Kraut and sauteed Mushrooms instead of Bacon and Onions. No Butter or Sour Cream either...

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
8 months. basket handle gave up the ghost. BB&B let us return it. naturally i replaced it with the next size up.
When i was looking at how to use mine, i accidentally hit the button to release the 2 parts of the basket and sent it to the floor. Dented the metal catcher and broke a small piece of plastic. Didn't affect the air fryer but still irritated it didn't last 2 minutes out the box unscathed. Thought it gave up on me because the timer was still going but wasn't getting power but it worked after i unplugged it and plugged it back in. When it does go, i will replace it with a better one. Its now my second most used appliance next to my toaster oven.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
fun thread. I hate boston wings. They are all breaded sysco wings that are fatty and grisly. it makes me sad. We've found one place in our current town that does wings well, but they only do buffalo sauce and they do small or large orders (like 8 or 12) not 20, 40, or 7000.

I've baked wings, which is OK, but there's no replacement for a high quality deep fry. I will have to try the airfryer as I'm getting desperate.

As for smoking, usually you smoke first (to get the flavor) then throw them on the grill for a few minutes to crisp them up. I tried smoking them once and it was disgusting (as stated) like steaming. Yuck.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When i was looking at how to use mine, i accidentally hit the button to release the 2 parts of the basket and sent it to the floor. Dented the metal catcher and broke a small piece of plastic. Didn't affect the air fryer but still irritated it didn't last 2 minutes out the box unscathed. Thought it gave up on me because the timer was still going but wasn't getting power but it worked after i unplugged it and plugged it back in. When it does go, i will replace it with a better one. Its now my second most used appliance next to my toaster oven.

the handle on mine crapped out due to heat distortion, which i find weird for this kind of appliance.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
is there any way to replicate what an airfryer does in a convection over? We have a fancy oven but I don't really know how an airfryer works

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
I've baked wings, which is OK,
Have you even tried steaming them first? I saw you disliked my post. Steaming first helps keep them moist when they go into bake. Also, as i said, fall of the bone. If you put some hot sauce in with the water, you can infuse it with the meat. Then slather it in hot sauce again to bake. My mama has been doing this for years, even commercially and people love it.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
is there any way to replicate what an airfryer does in a convection over?
They work by using coils and fans to superheat air as it flows at high speed through out the system instead of heating stagnant air trapped inside the oven. It creates a much more even cook vs traditional oven. They also use exhaust systems and fresh air to regulate pressure and keep internal parts cool while keeping air hot inside the basket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is there any way to replicate what an airfryer does in a convection over? We have a fancy oven but I don't really know how an airfryer works
an air fryer is basically a convection oven on steroids. it's a smaller volume and moves the air faster. I don't think you'd be able to achieve the same results.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My go-to wing spot has great wings. I mostly prefer dry rub wings, but their rub is without any real kick. I talked with one chef and asked him if he could fire them up a bit. He mixed up some cajun + ghost dry season and tossed the wings in that. OMGZ so good. I told the owner his chef took care of me and we started talking about it, and now he's experimenting with different peppers/ratios to get something on the menu. Last experimental plate was a bit over the top but we're getting really close.

/coolstorybro

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My go-to wing spot has great wings. I mostly prefer dry rub wings, but their rub is without any real kick. I talked with one chef and asked him if he could fire them up a bit. He mixed up some cajun + ghost dry season and tossed the wings in that. OMGZ so good. I told the owner his chef took care of me and we started talking about it, and now he's experimenting with different peppers/ratios to get something on the menu. Last experimental plate was a bit over the top but we're getting really close.

/coolstorybro
hellz yea man i love a good dry rub wing. IMO dry rub wings are probably the best way to make them in the air fryer. i actually have the recipe for the dino bbq dry rub, and that makes an AWESOME wing.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Jeremy is from Atlanta. I had no idea they had such a huge wing culture there. He makes the best wings I have ever had. Gochuchang style...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
what, my method?
Yes. I was just coating them and grilling them. They would come out kind of greasy. Marinating them for 24 hours works like a champ. I coated them with Dino BBQ seasoning before I threw them on the grill (I will skip this step next time). I coated them with franks straight out of the bottle also. I did them on the Weber and charred the fuck out of them. They were still juicy and are now my favorite method of doing wings. They make a huge mess however. I like them better then fried.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes. I was just coating them and grilling them. They would come out kind of greasy. Marinating them for 24 hours works like a champ. I coated them with Dino BBQ seasoning before I threw them on the grill (I will skip this step next time). I coated them with franks straight out of the bottle also. I did them on the Weber and charred the fuck out of them. They were still juicy and are now my favorite method of doing wings. They make a huge mess however. I like them better then fried.
nice. yea, it's not the neatest method, but the results are excellent. i will typically let mine marinate for 2-3 days prior to grilling. i marinate mine in a gallon freezer bag, toss in the wings, add bbq sauce and franks, then close the bag to get all the air out. toss em around and put them in the fridge. i flip them 2 or 3 times a day to keep things moving. the charring makes a world of difference.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
just curious - about what temp and how long did you cook yours?
I used the hot side cold side method. No idea what temps I used. The Weber is huge and I build the fire on only oneside. I started them of on the hotside. Move them to the cold side after I sear both sides. Then I sauced them with BBQ sauce franks mixture. Then I added another chimney of lump charcoal to the hot side while they cooked on the cold side for 10/15 minutes (maybe longer). I coated them again with just franks. And put half the batch on the warm side until I got your level of char. Only a few wings were left over. The non charred ones. I put them back on the grill to char them. They were gone after that. The fire seems to make the franks hotter? I will use my own sauce next time as the Wegman's sauce I used is to sweet. If only you could buy them that way. I want to try dry wings the next time. I used Perdue wings because I like the skin on my chicken and the flats are huge...

Last edited: