Quantcast

the Wings thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I used the hot side cold side method. No idea what temps I used. The Weber is huge and I build the fire on only oneside. I started them of on the hotside. Move them to the cold side after I sear both sides. Then I sauced them with BBQ sauce franks mixture. Then I added another chimney of lump charcoal to the hot side while they cooked on the cold side for 10/15 minutes (maybe longer). I coated them again with just franks. And put half the batch on the warm side until I got your level of char. Only a few wings were left over. The non charred ones. I put them back on the grill to char them. They were gone after that. The fire seems to make the franks hotter? I will use my own sauce next time as the Wegman's sauce I used is to sweet. If only you could buy them that way. I want to try dry wings the next time. I used Perdue wings because I like the skin on my chicken and the flats are huge...
but how long? a time duration. in minutes. just curious for comparison.

i got more wings marinating last night.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
but how long? a time duration. in minutes. just curious for comparison.

i got more wings marinating last night.
About a hour. Would have been faster If we had the wings reach room temp first. I forgot to take them out. I have some also. I may just hold onto them for Camping tomorrow night.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey i finally used my air fryer for wings. very impressed. took less time than the oven and came out nice and crispy. a little dry from overcooking, but thats just the learning curve.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey i finally used my air fryer for wings. very impressed. took less time than the oven and came out nice and crispy. a little dry from overcooking, but thats just the learning curve.
what method do you use? i do them for i think about 22 minutes at about 350 to cook them, then 5 or 6 minutes at max temp (about 400) to get them nice and crisp.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I did the automated protocol, which is 28m @ 380, i think. I could probably have done 5m less.

I might try your method though, as the crispiness was bang on but they were a little dry.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Used Stubbs sauce and Franks instead. Came out awesome. Perdue wings are the way to go. They are meatier and taste better. Finished with Franks, Sherry, and Butter for extra greatness. 90 minutes at 325 for the most part. First 15 on the hotside, one of 2 coatings at that point. I tried not to flip them or keep the lid on. I failed on both points. No Salt and Pepper, or garlic powder in the Ziplock bag this time. Must say with my grill I have perfected them to my taste. May add wood chips to the fire next time.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did the automated protocol, which is 28m @ 380, i think. I could probably have done 5m less.

I might try your method though, as the crispiness was bang on but they were a little dry.
Yea, that's the reason for doing it a little lower the majority of the cook time.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Went to the local meat market. Wings are now $4/lb. Pork Loins $3.50/lb. Bought them instead... Product of Canada...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Used Stubbs sauce and Franks instead. Came out awesome. Perdue wings are the way to go. They are meatier and taste better. Finished with Franks, Sherry, and Butter for extra greatness. 90 minutes at 325 for the most part. First 15 on the hotside, one of 2 coatings at that point. I tried not to flip them or keep the lid on. I failed on both points. No Salt and Pepper, or garlic powder in the Ziplock bag this time. Must say with my grill I have perfected them to my taste. May add wood chips to the fire next time.
i've been using sweet baby rays, but i am also a big fan of stubbs, so i will give that a try. i've been getting my wings from costco.

i'm entertaining the idea of trying a dry rub on the grill.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a Gas Grill now. Its a Craftsmen. Basically new. I wheeled it home the 2 blocks from where I found it. All my neighbors were jealous as I was joyously parading it down the street. I could tell by the expressions on their faces. I bought a bottle with a gauge. Seemed like a good idea. Got it filled and all fired up $28. Cleaned it up. Works like a champ. I am going to do them your way now. No rub. Rub denotes poor quality meat in my opinion. Zip lock bags and time practically inject the flavor into the meat and keeps it juicy. My friend Lauren has a Oxygen theory about the bags. I wasn't paying attention so I cannot recall what it was about... The Salt in the Rub extracts the water from the cells of the meat. Making the finished product dry. If the marinade is robust enough you will get a much better result. She was right about Pomegranate Juice and Vodka so I will assume she is right about that also.... Life is so much better when you go with folks who know things, as compared to your not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
went to local bbq place last night, their spicy peanut wings are amazing. i wasn't paying attention, but they were so hot (temperature, not spicy) that they must have launched them straight from the fryer to our table. or the fryer was set to 1000°.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I will have to resort to plan B if Johnkranked doesn't hurry up and post his workable recipe for Spicy Thai Peanut wings.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cooked them up plain. Coated them in Maggi sauce and a little Dino Rub just before I put them on the new Gas Grill. Kind of greasy and they had a odd flavor. Used the same method with the bone in Pork Chops I also made. They were great. Salt Potatoes for the rescue. The Wegmans wings are cut with a saw. So you get the sharp bone knub sticking out. Unacceptable...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Batch getting ready. Bought Perdue wingettes. $9/lb. Worth every cent...Mainating in Speedie sauce and franks...
fwiw the wings i get at costco are already prepped (ie segment cut) and are something like $6 / lb. they're not jumbo, but they are generally a good size, and come in preportioned packs (3 packs of about 12-15 wings each) which make them easy to freeze.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for the world cup last weekend i prepped 136 wings to take (about 11 1/2 dozen). i came home with just over 2 dozen. each bag below was about 2 dozen wings.

1568296414116.png

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The Salt in the Rub extracts the water from the cells of the meat. Making the finished product dry.
Wet and dry brines (like a rub) work similarly when it comes to salt. At first moisture is extracted, but if you give it enough time the moisture is reabsorbed (with whatever extra flavors you add). The brine also tenderizes the proteins. For both you just need to give it enough time, ideally at least 24 hours. Science!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wet and dry brines (like a rub) work similarly when it comes to salt. At first moisture is extracted, but if you give it enough time the moisture is reabsorbed (with whatever extra flavors you add). The brine also tenderizes the proteins. For both you just need to give it enough time, ideally at least 24 hours. Science!
this plus after the appropriate amount of time, the salt on the surface helps seal in moisture when you sear it.