Quantcast

the Wings thread

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Got a tray of wings for 8 dollars and need to try out this air fryer thing. It's actually an instapot, which can be changed over to air fryer. Can get two layers of wings in there (with layered rack). Think that'll affect cooking at all?

Will grill the other half of them. I really need to fill my second propane tank before I do though...we all know how that ends.
Yes, running two layers they won't get as crispy.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Jon cooks his wings in an Egg. It's an older one. No idea why that matters. However, his wings are on point.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Jim is teaching me to Sous-vide. He has an egg. After we sousvided. We grillded the wings on his Egg. Must say they were good. Dinosaur wango tango sauce which is also good on wings. He has an Oven that air Frys. Pretty cool setup. We did air fried Tator tots. Fucking awesome.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
The air fryer is an amazing invention. Which means we’re all eventually gonna find out it causes all kinds of health problems, right? Nothing that good comes without a little bad to balance out the universe.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My friend Jim is teaching me to Sous-vide. He has an egg. After we sousvided. We grillded the wings on his Egg. Must say they were good. Dinosaur wango tango sauce which is also good on wings. He has an Oven that air Frys. Pretty cool setup. We did air fried Tator tots. Fucking awesome.
Ooh, I’m gonna order some Dino-sauces tomorrow.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
oh, i took your initial comment to mean that they needed some work to get them right. wife got me a sous vide for father's day and now i'm trying to think of all the things i can put in it. i might do some ribs this weekend.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Straight up Sous Vide the wings. I don't care what anyone's says. Disjoint them. Build a fire. Roast them until crispy on the hotside of a Weber works. I used charcoal. It's a pain in the ass but worth it. Butter base wing sauce will just flame up. A thicker sauce works best. I will trust you all have a favorite. Pay attention. They will come out awesome. We did baby backs. Cheap ones from walmart. They were falling apart after the sous vide part. Getting them on the grill proved futile. Just made a mess. Sauced them in a Cast Iron pan making a bigger mess. They were tasty. Kids loved them. We had the Uncle Jimmies hot one's campfire hot sauce challenge. I won. Eleventy Billion Scoville units. Fly by Jing Chili paste and sauce.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
TreagerWings.jpg

Traeger wings. Took forever. Folks went home before they were properly done. I held out... Lemon Pepper. Just OK.

Last edited:

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I like your open pit with the steel screen method for the best wings. Takes forever also. But folks like to stand around by the fire and sometimes help.
The true BBQ pits are great if you don't have anything else going on for the entire day. Treager is nice for throwing some dead yard bird parts on there and doing something else for an hour.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
That’s it,no more. I’ll give you you’re Healthy AirFried Chicken Wings which is less cleanup. Putting a Ton of chicken wings on the BBQ is a waste of time unless they are whole. Which I have done many times. Otherwise,Fry um for me. Cast Iron is how I Fry ,though I do have a deep fryer I bought just for those cute little wings.

Now,if you use a Sous for a Steak,then I have nothing nice to say. It’s a fucking steak,how long will it take? Not very long. Even a Tri Tip does not take long. Start the coals,wait till ready,grill steak. Pork Ribs you say,no again. Soak um in pickle juice with your favorite rub. You need the right Sear,which the sous robs you of. Though there is trick for that,still I would not do it.

Avy

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Uncut.jpg

Could have cut them up better. Cooked them longer. Or Yinzered them. I made fried rice with all the flats and celery and carrots leftover. Huge mess. Go Bills.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My air fryer game is getting good. Skipping the sous vide step now. Gave the Traeger to the neighbor. Excluded from the Egg. I miss it. I will someday get one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
now attempting to master traditional buffalo sauce on the grill. first attempt wasn't bad, but definitely need to be more crispy. i think i need either more grilling time, temp, or both. may also attempt to grill, sauce, then toss back on the grill.

1682428964456.png