Quantcast

The Woman vs. The Black Man

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Great column (IMO) from Mark Morford in the SF Gate (Chronicle) today:

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/morford/

He barely touches on my biggest concern as an anti-Bush person: This is our election to lose - my guess is that all we need to do is nominate a reasonably competent, non-controversial candidate and the election should be a lock. Instead, it looks like we're going to nominate a candidate that will be difficult for lots of people to support, right or wrong.

I'm all for progressiveness and equality in politics and life, and I personally would have no problem voting for either a woman or an african american. I also know that this is a great opportunity to make it happen. But the stakes are so damn high and I'm just not sure the nation as a whole is ready.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
As a right leaning person who is "unsure where to turn to find a candidate who will hate gays and slam women's rights and mistrust foreigners as much as Bush promised" that is "poisoned by the Christian right's woman-in-her-place mentality"....I'd vote for Obama before I'd vote for any current Republican nominee. This guy loves him some sweet sweeping generalizations.

It would be nice to get past this whole "us VS. them" mentality and do what is best for the country.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
project much?

this is no better than the right wingers who put forth the idea that a democrat president will attempt to convert all kids to homosexuality, and those who resist will be impregnated by browns, only to be aborted in on-campus abortion clinics. and to deal with this strife, all drugs will be legal & gov't funded.

oh, & i love this trifecta of intolerant bigotry
There's the chipper creationist nutball who loves him some Chuck Norris, the stupefied Mormon mannequin who simply cannot believe the world is so icky and complicated, the doddering Iraq-loving war vet who seems to be getting more unstable by the minute, and the cross-dressing former New York mayor who has "9/11" tattooed on his ego in fake blood
yet john edwards gets a pass, even though he "channeled" dead babies to get his pockets stuffed in a single case to the tune of $6.5M as a personal injury lawyer? (it's all good, as he was taking money from evil doctors)

and why does hillary get a pass on all things war? she's quite the "war-monger" as her record clearly shows (a
, for that matter).

what were we talking about? oh yeah, the black guy vs. the cunt. i can has some black guy, given the choice of the two.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is not about which side of the "say silly things for kicks in media" is better or worse, obviously the language is inflammatory.

The question is, do you think a woman or a black man is electable in '08, or are we just giving the country another reason to vote republican again even though most people are ready for change?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a black guy or a woman is more electable than an unmarried person. that, i believe, was condi's glass ceiling. no way the GOP would support any run for high office. maybe sneak her in through the back door as veep if the republicans had a much stronger showing that this time around.

let's be clear about one thing: hillary does NOT represent women. just man-hating kleptocrats. to see that we are indeed ready for a female leader, recall that we're most like the u.k. (or at least close behind canada & australia), and they did splendidly under thatcher.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
But the stakes are so damn high...
Could not be more wrong. The stakes were never ever higher than in 2004 and american screwed up there.

Thing is, there are a few Repub candidates that don't suck, so if one of them gets the nomination, then for the first time in a while, it's not an absolutely lose-lose situation or a lose-reallyFockinLose situation.

NOW is the time to take a chance. Now is the time for independents to exercise their judgement. But the next time the USA finds itself with a Bush-type candidate, independents better stand-the-fock-up and vote for the lesser of two evils.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I don't think being black (half black, by the way) is an issue at all. I think being female is a small issue because it's harder to walk the balance of tough and likability, but the bigger issue is not that the sweet spot is small but that Hill can't find it.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Could not be more wrong. The stakes were never ever higher than in 2004 and american screwed up there.
Thanks. I didn't say "highest stakes ever," only that the stakes are high for this election. In any case, the damage from the last eight years is done and we need a big change. Failure to make that change will be our third strike, leading the world to believe that all americans actually support what has happening the last 8 years.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I seriously doubt in my lifetime there will be a Black president...maybe a woman president but a Black man as president...uh no not going to happen...the US is no where near ready for that!!...D

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
not sure how obama's blackness affects him as much as the fact that he's a very junior senator (who won practically unopposed). think about it: when's the last time we elected a sitting senator? incumbent veeps & governors do far better at the polls.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I seriously doubt in my lifetime there will be a Black president...maybe a woman president but a Black man as president...uh no not going to happen...the US is no where near ready for that!!...D
I regret to say it, but you might be right.

Isn't Nascar something like the second most popular sport in the US? I wonder just how prevalent this mentality is throughout fans of the sport.
http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/sports/2008/01/14/Nascar-and-Race

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This is always a tough one for me: should we vote for the most winnable candidate or the best one?

I can't vote for Hillary for a thousand reasons, and Obama and Edwards seem ok.

Do I think Hillary will win against the Republicans? No way.

Obama? Sure.

Edwards? Probably.

BussaFrame

Monkey
Apr 19, 2005
I completely agree with this statement.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I for one think it's awesome that the race and gender issues just don't seem to be that big of a deal. (Yet?) Who remembers the Geraldine Ferraro VP run?? It was all they could talk about. Seems like this race is much more issues-focused...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
"Iron My Shirt!"

"Pick My Cotton!"

Why is one acceptable, but the other not? No, not saying they're equivalent.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I for one think it's awesome that the race and gender issues just don't seem to be that big of a deal. (Yet?) Who remembers the Geraldine Ferraro VP run?? It was all they could talk about. Seems like this race is much more issues-focused...
That was a woman????

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Just wait'll 012....

Black women president..

Oprah.

You'll see it on her TV network first.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
not sure how obama's blackness affects him as much as the fact that he's a very junior senator (who won practically unopposed). think about it: when's the last time we elected a sitting senator? incumbent veeps & governors do far better at the polls.
I don't know the last time we elected a sitting senator, but we've NEVER elected a black president.

I think perhaps you are giving the American public too much credit for caring about his status as a junior senator v. caring about his race. Unfortunately race will cloud the judgment of a lot of people. Hopefully most liberals and progressives will be able to look past it. But people on the fence might not, the result could be a diluted democratic vote.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I think perhaps you are giving the American public too much credit for caring about his status as a junior senator v. caring about his race. Unfortunately race will cloud the judgment of a lot of people. Hopefully most liberals and progressives will be able to look past it. But people on the fence might not, the result could be a diluted democratic vote.
i'll do you one more: i hope that if both parties recognize him as the most qualified they'd elect him, not just the progressives/libs.

and looking at the current field of republican candidates, there's no one worthy of nomination to the party, to say nothing of being electable in the gen'l election.

...and ron paul smells like boogers.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
i'll do you one more: i hope that if both parties recognize him as the most qualified they'd elect him, not just the progressives/libs.
I hope so too, and I appreciate the comment. My concern is that our mutual hope plus the reality of a nation full of knee-jerk, bigoted voters could add up to four more years.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
A look back on how we got here... Tom Tomorrow comic From 9/17/01

and another from The Onion, also 9/17/01

"The insanity is over," Bush said. "After a long, dark night of peace and stability, the sun is finally rising again over America. We look forward to a bright new dawn not seen since the glory days of my dad."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'm rarely one to defend the general population (the stupid, bigoted lot that they are), but I don't expect Obama's race to be a major factor for most of them.

As long as he doesn't start talking all black like Jesse Jackson or Justin Timberlake.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
more than race, i care about lifestyle; particularly a bunch of single guys living in my neighborhood would keep me keenly aware.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
locally: "Obama quip stuns Citizen of the West banquet crowd"
A Greeley businessman apologized Wednesday after a joke about Illinois Sen. Barack Obama fell flat during the National Western Stock Show's annual Citizen of the West banquet.

William R. Farr was pretending to read telegrams congratulating this year's award recipient, University of Colorado President Hank Brown, when he pulled out a piece of paper and said, "I have a telegram from the White House."

Then he added, "They're going to have to change the name of that building if Obama's elected."
quickly: was the guy telling the joke white, or black? this part should help solve the puzzle:
Afterward, Farr said he regretted making the remark and apologized to anyone offended.

"I apologize for that," Farr told a reporter as soon as the banquet ended.

"I mistook it to be humorous, but it was something I shouldn't have said."
would he had apologized if he were black?
should he have if he were black?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The worst thing the Democrats could do is nominate Hilary. That would polarize all the fence sitters who hate her for whatever reason into voting GOP. I think there are more people who would vote for a "half black" man then there are who hate Hilary.