Quantcast

the world is coming to an end!!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
3,359
0
Malaysia
good news is that santa cruz updated their web site, bad news is that they dont make the bullit no more. whats next? no more heckler and super light? what happened to simply advanced? :mad: :( :dead:
www.santacruzmtb.com
edit: i just saw that the vp-free is 9.4 lbs, i thought that it was around 12 lbs? maybe they shaved some weight. :confused:
 

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
427
0
Still about 1 milion Bullets on the used market !
Guess they just have the time & money to make the VPFree & V10...I think that's a good choice really ! I have had 3 Bullets & don't miss them that much..
Hope you feel better soon bro...Go to the pub....
 

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
615
0
rado
too bad they didnt make sure it was 100% correct before they launched. the juliana states its a vpp not a single point
 

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
1,563
0
Charlotte, NC
bullit was: heavy, really plush, and made you want to marry it, rest in peace, oh heavy hitter, never know maybe they'll re-introduce it in a couple years with a more efficient design. with the vp free and the v10 they don't really need the bullit though, its just a past time but i guess thats the end of the superheros
 

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
218
3
VA
FS: 1 used Bullit. Collector's item, not made anymore, get it while you still can. Rootbeer in color. Asking $3000. :devil:
 
J

JRB

Guest
It's because it doesn't have a stupid looking top tube.

RIP Bullit.
 
bagtagley said:
FS: 1 used Bullit. Collector's item, not made anymore, get it while you still can. Rootbeer in color. Asking $3000. :devil:

Ha....after seeing the "Ebay find of the day threads" i can't wait to sell my rare collecters edition hardly ridden mint condition Bullit for an absurd mark up. Buy it now for ........drum roll......................$5,000 :rolleyes:
 

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
11,818
1
Slacking at work
I remember when they stopped making the Super 8, all these people were like "NO! That was the bestest bike EVAR!!!!". Does anyone miss the Super 8 now?
 

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
6,181
2,835
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^
No, I don't think peeps really missed the Supa 8 because it had a lot of problems with frame failures...Not so with the Bullit...The Bullit was (is) a solid bike because it's simple (i.e. don't have to worry about multiple pivot maintenance), bomb proof, good geo for trail riding/FR/lite DH, cheap, pedals really well when equipped with a platform shock, and can be set it up for just about anything...Throw an air shock on it (or maybe even a DHX) and a nice single crown fork, then it's a plush XC/trail rig - or load it down with heavy wheels + Zoch Monster and it's FR beast...And I don't think it's really that heavy compared to 7" Stinkys and Big Hits...

However, it does seem a little redundant to have a Nomad, VP-Free, and Bullit in your FR lineup...But, now SC really doesn't have a entry-level (in terms of price) FR rig...So who knows, maybe they'll tweak it a little (rate modifying link, ala AS-X) and bring it back...
 

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
937
0
kol-uh-RAD-oh
manhattanprjkt83 said:
the bullit was great back in the day, i think it can die now...:dead:
I agree.

Santa Cruz has too many models that are designed for the same type of riding. Bullit/VP-Free, Heckler/Nomad/Blur LT, Superlight/Blur XC. And the single-pivot models are still too expensive to be considered "budget" models.

Is the VP-Free really 9.5 pounds? Dang, that could be a good race bike!
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
WheelieMan said:
Is the VP-Free really 9.5 pounds? Dang, that could be a good race bike!
Except for a 15" BB height and a steep H/A. There's more than weight to think about for a race bike.
 

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
6,181
2,835
in a single wide, cooking meth...
And the single-pivot models are still too expensive to be considered "budget" models.
I sorta agree with this, but the Heckler & Bullit ARE pretty inexpensive when compared to the Nomad & Free...In otherwords, while they may be kinda pricey for a fairly primitive design, they fit nicely into SC's specific price structure...Also, aren't the Stinky and Big Hit frames about the same cash? I guess I'm trying to think of another basic, FR design that is significantly cheaper...Haro maybe? And quite frankly, I'd take a Bullit over an Haro X-treme any day...

That said, I always thought the AS-X was the ultimate Bullit killer in that it was about the same money, and had the rate modifying link...Although, I'm not sure it was as bomb proof - but I'm just basing that on a few cases I'm familiar with...




On a side note, did anyone else notice the VP-Free is now listed as having 203 mm of rear travel? I coulda sworn I'd seen 215mm published somewhere...Not a huge deal I guess, just interesting...
 

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
3,430
0
Charlotte, NC
jackalope said:
I sorta agree with this, but the Heckler & Bullit ARE pretty inexpensive when compared to the Nomad & Free...In otherwords, while they may be kinda pricey for a fairly primitive design, they fit nicely into SC's specific price structure...Also, aren't the Stinky and Big Hit frames about the same cash? I guess I'm trying to think of another basic, FR design that is significantly cheaper...Haro maybe? And quite frankly, I'd take a Bullit over an Haro X-treme any day...
Excellent points. Not to mention that SC will want ot keep it's "Boutique" brand while still offering affordable options.

Why do you think Porsche originally offered the Boxter? :thumb:
 

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
937
0
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Zark said:
Except for a 15" BB height and a steep H/A. There's more than weight to think about for a race bike.
Obviously, but I can think of so called "race bikes" with similar travel that have more freeridish geometry. And I didn't realize that the bottom bracket height was 15 inches, I don't think that's correct.
 

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
184
0
CA
Zark said:
Except for a 15" BB height and a steep H/A. There's more than weight to think about for a race bike.
Throw a 2.5 inch stroke shock on their and you have 7.25 inches of travel, a slacker head angle, and a lower bb. So, yes, it definetely could be a sick light race bike.
 

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
789
0
Santa Cruz Mountains
jackalope said:
^^ maybe they'll tweak it a little (rate modifying link, ala AS-X) and bring it back...
your right on the money, there redoing the bullit frame and adding that extra link (just like the as-x) for stifness.

so dont worrie, the bullit lives on
 

rumor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2004
31
0
I heard SantaCruz was in process of shifting the manufacture of the bullit to Taiwan and production was on hiatus till that time
I hope they don't put that "hump" on the top tube of the bullit :mumble:
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
rideagainst said:
Throw a 2.5 inch stroke shock on their and you have 7.25 inches of travel, a slacker head angle, and a lower bb. So, yes, it definetely could be a sick light race bike.
Wouldn't that mess up the sweet spot that the VPP wants to sag into? I'm pretty sure messing with shock lengths is a no-no for those bikes.

BTW I think the VPFree is great bike, just not my choice for a DH race bike. That said you can DH race anything really, so its up to you :)

And the Bullit......I never cared for it really:sneaky:
 

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
390
0
NZ
rideagainst said:
Throw a 2.5 inch stroke shock on their and you have 7.25 inches of travel, a slacker head angle, and a lower bb. So, yes, it definetely could be a sick light race bike.
um, no.
 

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
3,359
0
Malaysia
i personally dont like the vpp design. well, exept the short travel ones.
lets just wait and see when they take away the heckler. :angry:
 

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
1,011
0
the mid-west armpit!
dhkid said:
good news is that santa cruz updated their web site, bad news is that they dont make the bullit no more. whats next? no more heckler and super light? what happened to simply advanced? :mad: :( :dead:
www.santacruzmtb.com
edit: i just saw that the vp-free is 9.4 lbs, i thought that it was around 12 lbs? maybe they shaved some weight. :confused:
As for the weight, I can tell you that my Med vp-free with the fox 5.0 weighs in at 10lbs however, if I switched the shock to a fox air it would be in the 9.4 weight range
 

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
789
0
Santa Cruz Mountains
dhkid said:
oh sorry, so it would be all the same just with a little extra link? pics? release date?
the only reason i know this is because one of my friends dads works at santa cruz and he told me. so as far as i know theres no link or pics saying anything but it should be available some time next year
 

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
268
1
israel
i dont know if its a mistake or not , but did anyone checked out the prices of the V10 for 06 ????

1499 for the basic 5th element frame !!!
1649 for the floater frame (do they realy have a floater for 06 ?)

those are some insanly low prices for such a rig . if its true than im gussing a new model is on the way or thier building it in taiwan or somthing.
 

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
7,536
20
Montana
ilfreerider said:
i dont know if its a mistake or not , but did anyone checked out the prices of the V10 for 06 ????

1499 for the basic 5th element frame !!!
1649 for the floater frame (do they realy have a floater for 06 ?)

those are some insanly low prices for such a rig . if its true than im gussing a new model is on the way or thier building it in taiwan or somthing.

If those are the prices those are not crazy prices. They are what frames should be selling for. The prices of bike frames are getting waaay out of hand these days.
 

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
2,435
0
Los Osos
Just checked the website, a VPFree and a V10 both have a 14.8" bb height. I guess the V10 is a little lower because it has more travel, almost 250mm rather than "only" 215mm. The head tube on the VPFree is 67 degrees, and the V10 is 67.5 degrees. The VPfree, in the small and medium sizes, also has a longer wheelbase. The biggest difference between the two bikes is the seat tube angle. The VPfree would make an excellent race bike, but if you like to sit down through corners and fast sections, the V10 would be a lot more preferable. I don't know if the linkages are different on the two bikes, or how a VPfree rides in real life, but from the numbers it appears both are great race bikes, just built for different rider styles.

I agree, mountain bikes are ridiculously expensive. Several big companies charge around $3000 for simply a frame. And many of these frames will break. That's great the V10 isn't rediculously expensive, because it's also very strong and reliable. Go Santa Cruz. Peace.
 

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
3,135
273
Chapel Hill, NC
ilfreerider said:
i dont know if its a mistake or not , but did anyone checked out the prices of the V10 for 06 ????

1499 for the basic 5th element frame !!!
1649 for the floater frame (do they realy have a floater for 06 ?)

those are some insanly low prices for such a rig . if its true than im gussing a new model is on the way or thier building it in taiwan or somthing.
Looks like a mistake to me. They probably copied over the info from the old V10-all the forks listed are old.
 
dhkid said:
just read this,there is a roumour going around on interbike that sc is trying to sign steve peat, no way its gonna happen. but just imagine steve on a bullit since he likes single pivots soo much.
http://www.nsmb.com/gear/interbike05_inside2.php
I saw that blurb and also that SRAM is close to a deal in buying E-13 components! :eek:
Go to NSMB.com andd see for yourself.
 

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
9,854
290
NORCAL is the hizzle
bikenweed said:
Just checked the website, a VPFree and a V10 both have a 14.8" bb height. I guess the V10 is a little lower because it has more travel, almost 250mm rather than "only" 215mm. The head tube on the VPFree is 67 degrees, and the V10 is 67.5 degrees. The VPfree, in the small and medium sizes, also has a longer wheelbase. The biggest difference between the two bikes is the seat tube angle. The VPfree would make an excellent race bike, but if you like to sit down through corners and fast sections, the V10 would be a lot more preferable. I don't know if the linkages are different on the two bikes, or how a VPfree rides in real life, but from the numbers it appears both are great race bikes, just built for different rider styles.
It has been posted here a bunch of times that there is more to the difference between the free and the v10 than a little less travel and some different angles. They don't do a great job of explaining it on the site but the two bikes have different shock rate curves. The v10 is mostly a rising rate specifically for racing whereas the vp-free has a falling initial rate that gives it a rising rebound rate as you extend the suspension, so it gives you a boost off jumps and is otherwise easier to get off the ground. The free is more versatile and works for racing if that is only one part of how you ride, but if you want a race bike the v10 is the way to go. And yes I know people that are running shorter stroke shocks on their vp-frees with 6" forks like a fox 36, they seem to like that set up and don't complain about missing out on the sweet spot, but they usually run a little less sag.

As for the head angle on a free, I don't know why people always say it is too steep but they may be riding 7" forks. With an 8" 888 and go-ride flat crowns mine is about 65.5, that is about as slack as I can tolerate. With the stock crowns it was 64.5.