Quantcast

the zero drop scam.....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ruh roh...

Major shoe companies like Nike and Brooks jumped on the bandwagon also making barely-there footwear. A Washington Post writer says, "such footwear made up 10 percent of the $588 million U.S. running shoe market and had grown by 303 percent between November 2010 and November 2012, compared with 19 percent for running shoe sales overall."

But despite massive popularity and presumed health benefits, Medical Daily reports that a
study from 2013 clearly spells out the shoes can lead to more cases of foot bone marrow edema than traditional shoes.
Vibram will have discontinue claims that their footwear strengthens muscle (until they prove it)
what say ye running sadists?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Where do you think the cycling marketing lackeys got the idea for 27.5?

Sales flat? Run out of graphics ideas for the same old ****? Start a fad!
It's Enduro 101.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I dunno. I run in a zero drop minimalist shoe. I love mine, but I also spend pretty much every moment at home barefoot, mostly as a result of years of growing up near water in southern California. I do know that people who transition from a "traditional" shoe to something "flat" often have foot issues. Stress fractures, muscle injuries etc. That said, they work for me, and I doubt I'll ever run in a "padded" shoe. YMMV.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Every shoe I wear is zero drop. I tried the Vibram thingies, but they're made for people with stub toes, mine run to two and a quarter inches long, allows me to play keyboard while my hands are otherwise occupied. :weee:
fvcking finger toes!

digitalsoul

Chimp
Jun 20, 2002
Utah
I jumped on the bandwagon, but not the Vibram shoes or toe shoes. I was running in some old Asics shoes and developed pain on the top of my foot. I chalked it up to old shoes, and bought some new Asics shoes. I encountered the same pain on my new shoes. I found a great deal on some Altra shoes and magically the pain is gone when I run with them. You will pay for it if you don't stretch out your calves enough, but I love them and doubt I will go back to traditional shoes.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I wear the "toe" shoes sometimes. Filas. I typically wear them to the Gym and use them for squats and deadlifts. Sometimes I run in them, but I usually alternate with standard running shoes.

I'm undecided on whether they are any better than regular shoes.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I have vibrams, I bought into the whole barefoot running thing when I was actually attempting to not be fat.

They are totally a fad, but they're a fad that isn't actually BS. If you can run barefoot, you can run in vibrams. The problem is all the knuckledraggers who didn't bother to actually learn how to run barefoot properly. I feel like you can't advertise anything nowadays without some stupid soccer mom suing for unreasonable expectations.

You have to start super slow with these shoes, like 200m on a treadmill. Then you ramp up...SLOWLY. Then you take it outside. The pain in your calves if you do it wrong...or try and go out and run 2 miles...yikes. I absolutely loved mine, but they are exactly what they are- thin shoes that protect your feet from cuts and rocks, that's IT.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have vibrams, I bought into the whole barefoot running thing when I was actually attempting to not be fat.

They are totally a fad, but they're a fad that isn't actually BS. If you can run barefoot, you can run in vibrams. The problem is all the knuckledraggers who didn't bother to actually learn how to run barefoot properly. I feel like you can't advertise anything nowadays without some stupid soccer mom suing for unreasonable expectations.

You have to start super slow with these shoes, like 200m on a treadmill. Then you ramp up...SLOWLY. Then you take it outside. The pain in your calves if you do it wrong...or try and go out and run 2 miles...yikes. I absolutely loved mine, but they are exactly what they are- thin shoes that protect your feet from cuts and rocks, that's IT.
coincidentally, the target demograph. IE people with more money than common sense.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Kirk Pacenti laughs at you.
Not as hard as I've laughed at him over the years.
He's going to make the least amount of $ off 27.5 than anyone and is the Greg Herbold of bike innovation.