Quantcast

The Zerode thread

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
If I lived in an area where regularly pedaling the bike to the top of the hill was needed, I think I would choose the derailleur bike. I generally don't mind grinding a heavy bike to the top of the hill, but the 17kg gearbox brute was a bore. I couldn't calculate how much, but the Pinion bike does drag more than the derailleur bike with a clean and lubed chain. The derailleur bike had more inherent anti-squat in easier gears, which made climbing easier by sitting the bike higher in the travel and pulling the bike up and over steps more easily. Technical climbing is also made more difficult on the Pinion bike; the pair of freewheels increase the engagement interval, which hampers quick, half-pedal strokes when things get trialsy.

:mad:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I still can't agree with his geometry choices... Why the heck would you ask for a bike with a two-yard-long top tube, only to run your saddle slammed forward?
I am not sure how tall he is but guessing under 6' 2" I was talking to the guys at GeoMetron about a bike and they suggested their 2nd from largest for me. I would have gone with the one under that personally. I would guess he didn't have an option of size choice.

I still haven't been able to ride but I could see rock crawling as being tricky if you needed to back pedal to clear rocks etc. although the Zerode BB isn't crazy low so that may be a non issue 99% of the time.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well, I'm 6 ft tall and looking at the reach/stack numbers in Zerode's site I'd go for an XL... I mean, if I had the money :monkeydance:
Yeah I have the LG now and a 40mm stem its fairly short. The XL will be out soon so I wll end up with one of those. May use a 55mm stem on this for now....

Dec 9, 2015
Personally, I will never go back to a derailluer bike. The whole weight thing for me is a non-issue. And when you get too light I either break stuff (and I have a hard time trusting the wall thickness on these light carbon frames when you have a good crash) or it can feel like you get bucked offline more on really rough trails. A certain amount of inertia in gravity riding is actually a good thing in my opinion.

Once I dialed in our tensioner device, I have never dropped or skipped a chain. And being able to shift anytime without pedaling is a HUGE performance gain. I have a couple people on these and they prefer them over a derailluer.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Rode the bike today was 600 feet in 1.8 miles and a total of a 5 mile loop. The bike climbs good if X2 is in FIRM or OPEN mode. I did about 80% in FIRM then switched. It has crazy traction the trail was super wet and sandy with some rock sections. There where a few times that shifting up into easier gears caught me off guard when approaching a steep section. I forgot I had to let off and it wouldn't shift. The range is crazy I haven't ridden in 2 months and I never went past 3rd gear. The bike felt good going down. I have ridden all the trail bikes on this trail and have a record on The Megatrail pushing hard. I got my second fastest time today 30 seconds back on a 7 minute trail and I was taking it easy. The bike seemed to offer great traction going down. It was dead quite except the I9 hub was clacking away.....

Dec 9, 2015
Sounds sweet ianjenn. And yes the range is incredible with the P12. Forget the SRAM Eagle with a big old derailleur. No 1 x setup can compete with the range. And the problem with a 1 x is when you are on a DH run in the small gears out back, there is so much chain slop and not enough tension. It is just ridiculous how they are trying to run a 34 or 36 up front and put a 52t out back to try to cover the range people want. I always stuck with a dual ring up front and used a 22t for climbing and a 36t for the DH. I would switch the chain by hand and had a custom chain guide i made and ran on my Specialized SX trail, Transition TR450 and then my own frames. Never dropped a chain with it. Now i don't even have to screw around with that with the trusty Pinion gear box. It is a dream come true.

My frame is setup in DH mode so it is on the heavier side, but with how good the range is with the P12, I can pace myself on a 3 mile climb with some pretty steep grades and still have enough leg strength for the DH run.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Just finished mine, and of course it is raining....:banghead:

Build is 34lbs sans stans.

I checked the pinion engagement, not precise but I got 28pts in 12, and 14 in gear 1, gear one is climbing/12 is speed.

Build quick sketch
I9 enduro wheels
X2 float shock
MRP stage 160mm
2013 Codes w/ 180mm icetech
Minion dhf wt 2.5 fr/r
KS lev 150 (not integra....)
Kore ocd-35 bars
Gt 40mm stem
Welgo mg-1 pedals
14874680597022112768334.jpg

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah seriously, you've angered the Enduro gods. Now they're going to cry and shave their legs.

SlinkySam

Chimp
Feb 20, 2017
Got mine in a a week or so ago and am almost done with the build. Just waiting on some parts I didn't realize I still needed. The downfall of living in Hawaii is things not available at the LBS and long ship times.

I'm a little worried about the size being small. I thought it was closer to my current ride but it's actually an inch shorter on the reach. I may need to get a much longer stem to compensate some. We will see. Can't wait to feel the experience.

IMG_0924.JPG

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I was told it could be routed inside.
You mean through the shift cable area? I wouldn't there is barely enough room for the two cables I don't think you could fit #2 pencil lead in there.

Z Taniwha Frame-3.jpg

Last edited:

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
Just finished mine, and of course it is raining....:banghead:

Build is 34lbs sans stans.

I checked the pinion engagement, not precise but I got 28pts in 12, and 14 in gear 1, gear one is climbing/12 is speed.

Build quick sketch
I9 enduro wheels
X2 float shock
MRP stage 160mm
2013 Codes w/ 180mm icetech
Minion dhf wt 2.5 fr/r
KS lev 150 (not integra....)
Kore ocd-35 bars
Gt 40mm stem
Welgo mg-1 pedalsView attachment 124680
Nice looking bike, I went for the green, ridden about 500k in a month, still summer here.. shod with minion 2.8 front, rekon rear also 2.8. Minion would have touched the tension spring. The bike is incredible, grip shift took about three rides to get muscle memory, now love it. Many advantages. Only thing I will do sometime is swop out the rear hub with more points of engagement. Another gearbox convert, and I figure I will save about $500 a year on cassettes sprockets bottom bracket cables chains...

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
Yes, front or rear, front I have fitted a minion. Grip incredible, gearbox great, suspension extraordinary. Thank you Mr Metz.
No sorry meant to say minion front, not rear, side knobs will or may catch the tensioning spring if you put on rear, I put rekon on rear

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
all of this just to avoid derailleurs. :hmm:
No, that is a very pleasant side benefit though, derailleurs are medieval and it is a joke building dinner plate size gears and thinner weaker faster wearing components... oh maybe not, if you are selling all that crap happily and endlessly to the bike junkies..... had my Taniwha for three months now nothing has been adjusted, ride about 75 k a week on all different trails, its quiet fast sturdy and a joy to ride. I have owned and ridden many high quality bikes this beats them all. After each hard ride I flip the bike and lube the chain and the the tension spring, the spring needs it as it can creak.
No derailleur for me again ever, this is the future.

Dec 9, 2015
I agree Rembrandt. I really would not care to keep mountain biking if I had to go back to a derailleur bike. I have had no chain or shifting issues. It is just a clean setup where not much can go wrong on the outside.

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
@Rembrandt I wasn't overly happy with the tensioner arrangement - wore through about a 1/4 of the pin within 4months of owning the bike.

I designed and machined an igus bushing tensioner which doesn't require lubrication. I haven't annodized it yet so will wear a little faster on the shaft but so far so good. After I have tested it for a while I'd be happy to get a few made up for other Taniwha owners. It's a one part swap out + igus bushing.

I've spoken to Rob @ Zerode and Pinion. Pinion are bringing it up at their next monthly meeting. Will be interesting to see how quickly they resolve the issue as I see it as a major design flaw on an otherwise great product.

Attachments

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
That is cool idea, though probably needs abit more for true longevity.

I thought it would be a problem when I assembled mine.
I should lube i too!

So for loving it, the fat tires are odd after being on maxxis 2.35 for so long

Shifts are improving every ride, I still need a spacer in air shock though, probably 2, Ian, did it have one in it?

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
That is cool idea, though probably needs abit more for true longevity.

I thought it would be a problem when I assembled mine.
I should lube i too!

So for loving it, the fat tires are odd after being on maxxis 2.35 for so long

Shifts are improving every ride, I still need a spacer in air shock though, probably 2, Ian, did it have one in it?
Without lube mine would make a really annoying squeak on any compression.

I think it will last ok - shaft loads are pretty low (I estimated 50N for design) and no lube to drag in dirt. The most basic Igus bushing should yield a 10,000 hour service life according to their design calculator. Even if it need changing out once a year it's a 5 min job :)

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
@Rembrandt I wasn't overly happy with the tensioner arrangement - wore through about a 1/4 of the pin within 4months of owning the bike.

I designed and machined an igus bushing tensioner which doesn't require lubrication. I haven't annodized it yet so will wear a little faster on the shaft but so far so good. After I have tested it for a while I'd be happy to get a few made up for other Taniwha owners. It's a one part swap out + igus bushing.

I've spoken to Rob @ Zerode and Pinion. Pinion are bringing it up at their next monthly meeting. Will be interesting to see how quickly they resolve the issue as I see it as a major design flaw on an otherwise great product.
Hi Jeremy, that sounds like a good fix, I am in NZ so not far to ship and will happily pay you for one if possible when you are happy with the design

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
So what is the biggest tire you can fit in the back? 2.8 Rekon?

Is there a way to space over the tensioner and then space over the rear ring?

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
I think the tensioner could be done a whole lot better which would allow for wider tires. With a leaf spring instead of a torsion you'd remove the chance of hitting the tire - opening your options up. It's a design on my to do list....

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Sorry for an offtopic, but @jeremy_2640 I can see the Jezken G-boxx proto in Your profil picture. What had happened to those bikes?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
Maxxis 2.8 should be fine then, I should measure space.

I am super happy with my maxxis 2.5 wt, though might swap for something a bit faster rolling.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
My new Taniwha build:

Fox 36
Float X2 rear
Race Face ARC 35 rims
Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.6 SG tires with 60ml of sealant in each
Zerode hubs
XT brakes w/ 203 front
Race Face SIXC bars