Quantcast

The Zerode thread

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Im having trouble with the cable stop staying on the Alfine, since Ive changed to the new shifter. The line indicators line up and it shifts perfectly... but every once in awhile the cable comes unhooked at the Alfine.
Try rotating it a touch on the cable so the cable isn't wound up and trying to twist it out. That's my guess, unless somethings worn or broken from installation.

My new G2
577469_10151326146941643_1020658331_n.jpg

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
That looks sick, how are you finding the bos stuff?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
That looks sick, how are you finding the bos stuff?
Cheers. Bos seems good so far, but haven't had the chance to point them down a decent hill yet, and still getting them dialed. Air has some benefits, but makes setting up air pressure and comp damping a PITA. Then balancing front to rear. First impressions are good though.
Will get it as soon as I can. Struggling to find time to ride it, let alone drive it somewhere with decent scales.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

This is Zerode USA's Light Build Kit bike it is a LG and came in at 38.15 with pedals so mid 37's for all you weight weenies. Also the Fox 40 AIR will be used once available and that will shave another pound off the build. I will list whole kit in a bit!

1. Zerode G2
2. CCDB Air
3. Chris King 1.5 Inset
4. Manitou Dorado Pro
5. Hope Stealth V2 203mm floating Rotors
6. Enve DH Bar
7. Hope DM Stem
8. Sram PC 1051 Chains
9. Renthal Grips
10. SDG I-fly Aluminum Post
11. SDG I Fly Saddle
12. Stans Flow ZTR EX Rims
13. Profile Elite 20mm and 150mm by 12mm rear hubs
14. DT Comp spokes
15. Maxxis DHF EXO 3C tire MAX TERRA
16. Maxxis High Roller rear tire MAX TERRA

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
whats the weight with real DH tires?
It would add about 600-700 grams the pedals were 350 Grams so say 350 grams more with no pedals. We ran Butcher SX casing's for over a year here. Lancaster ran some very rock trails at 24PSI and no issues. He only rides every blue moon but can still hold his own in the Pro ranks. So lets say we pump DH casing and the Fox 40 AIR it would be 37 LBS no pedals. Also I can run MT8 brakes and save 200 plus grams.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
He is about 155 riding the steep trails in San Luis Obispo now keep in mind we had DH Tubes. I weigh 218 riding Tunnel in SB no issues and I am a frickin hack hitting rocks of all sizes I used about 26 in the rear a bit more then him. It should be good we will find out the suspension design is pretty light on wheels so that is a plus.

This was on Specialized Butcher SX tires I am not sure if they are better than these Maxxis or not in sidewall toughness.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
whats with this weighing bikes without pedals thing? do you also ride without any pedals?
No major companies weigh for sale bikes with pedals oh wait no major companies offer a build like that :)

Last edited:

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand

This is Zerode USA's Light Build Kit bike it is a LG and came in at 38.15 with pedals so mid 37's for all you weight weenies. Also the Fox 40 AIR will be used once available and that will shave another pound off the build. I will list whole kit in a bit!

1. Zerode G2
2. CCDB Air
3. Chris King 1.5 Inset
4. Manitou Dorado Pro
5. Hope Stealth V2 203mm floating Rotors
6. Enve DH Bar
7. Hope DM Stem
8. Sram PC 1051 Chains
9. Renthal Grips
10. SDG I-fly Aluminum Post
11. SDG I Fly Saddle
12. Stans Flow ZTR EX Rims
13. Profile Elite 20mm and 150mm by 12mm rear hubs
14. DT Comp spokes
15. Maxxis DHF EXO 3C tire MAX TERRA
16. Maxxis High Roller rear tire MAX TERRA
It's here uiuiui??

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
That sounds unusual. The only thing I can think of is that the barrel is not locked into the hook correctly, or the cable is not in the correct path. Here are the shimano instructions:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Alfine/SL-S500/SI-6M20A-001-ENG_v1_m56577569830657998.pdf

Note at the bottom-right it mentions the cable routing, and shows an OK / Not OK diagram.
Also, the six-sided nut is to the outside, but I don't think it will go the other way.
Let us know if you sort it out.
Thanks. I rotated the end piece and that seemed to work so far. I need to cut the cable shorter too. If the cable is too long it hits the frame and pulls it out. You have to make sure to bend the cable end too.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
ianjenn, you get some quality ride time on that G2 yet ?
I did 3 runs today. The CCDB Air needs to have the air can messed with. It is much to linear right now. I have 30% sag and bottomed off about a 4 foot drop.

The bike is VERY LIVELY noticeably more than the last. This is in part due to lower weight alot of which is in wheels I would guess. It still seems to handle the rocks better than other designs. I still need to mess with the AIR but am gonna bolt the RC4 up tonight so I can ride some this weekend.

I am gonna wait until I get the AIR 40 on and have more saddle time but the 38LBS mark may be about as light as I would want to go....

Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
I'm stoked to hear some feed back on the G2. Do you have the larger air can on the CCDB air? Will be good to hear how the RC4 compares. Does very lively mean that it is rougher riding or that it is easier to maneuver, or both?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I'm stoked to hear some feed back on the G2. Do you have the larger air can on the CCDB air? Will be good to hear how the RC4 compares. Does very lively mean that it is rougher riding or that it is easier to maneuver, or both?
Easier to move around on the trail and change lines with. The last G1 I rode had the offset cups in the headset set so the same HA the G2 comes with standard. But the trail I rode on wasn't steep so that really didn't come into play. The CCDB Air includes different air can spacers. I am gonna use a bigger one once I have time to open it up like below...

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I thought the bigger can made it more linear?
Could be I am waiting to hear what Malcom suggests it came with a few different spacers to use. So if I put the largest spacer in there it will make the CAN SPACE smaller and less linear I think.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay opened the CCDB and there were no spacers in it. I added the tallest one. It got real progressive real fast. May go with a mid size will get saddle time tomorrow or later today....

Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
Cane Creek's description of the Air Volume Options and how they work

AIR VOLUME OPTIONS

As an additional tuning tool, the spring rate of the DBAIR can be adjusted through the use of air volume reduction spacers (included with the DBAIR). For bikes that have a more progressive leverage ratio, Cane Creek offers new XV (Extra Volume) air cans.

Air volume is not the same as air pressure adjustment. Air pressure should be used to achieve the correct sag value (see Tuning Field Guide). If the bike bottoms out harshly, or too frequently, reducing the air volume (using spacers) can provide a more progressive air spring. A more progressive spring will prevent harsh bottom-outs, since the spring will be “stiffer” as the bike gets closer to full travel.

http://www.canecreek.com/resources/products/suspension/dbair/air-spring-graph.png

Having more air volume (using an XV air can), is recommended for a sub-class of bikes that have a significantly progressive leverage ratio. More air volume will provide a more linear (less progressive) air spring. A less progressive air spring will allow a rider to ride with more High Speed Compression while still allowing full travel of the bike.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Well looks like the CCDB Air doesn't quite clear the rocker. It touches when the bike is sitting. So I am running it by a local machine shop and having them grind about 1mm of metal off it to clear the can.

So we will not be offering the CCDB Air as an option :(

Jul 31, 2010
Salt Lake City
To bad. While looking around on Cane Creek's site I noticed that Cane Creek has setting recommendations for the non air version of the Double Barrel on the G2. Do you know how they decide on those settings? I just rode a carbon Devinci Wilson with a CCDB and using the recommended settings from CC made for a really, really good feeling rear suspension. Hoping the G2 would feel as good or better.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
I just finished building up the frame that I bought, it was Taylor's old G1 frame. Extremely happy with it, these bikes ride really well. Mine is all saint drivetrain and brakes and Fox 40 hybrid air up front.

E441

Chimp
Jan 29, 2002
MD
Does the G1 jump better then a Canfield Formula 1 Jedi (2010)? I am thinking of replacing the Jedi with a G1 but I don't want another bike that can't jump. Thanks.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Does the G1 jump better then a Canfield Formula 1 Jedi (2010)? I am thinking of replacing the Jedi with a G1 but I don't want another bike that can't jump. Thanks.
We tested the Jedi I never found it had an issue getting into the air. So I do not notice the G1 having that issue either Demo 9 has owned and raced both see what he thinks maybe.....the picture below is of Kendall Norman we did a photoshoot with him he barely rides MTB's so...

Last edited: