Quantcast

The Zerode thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That's a lot of dough, but it looks real nice.
Yeah the frame is spendy its the same as a Nomad and Eagle set up basically. I can sell complete bikes for mid $6K with Hope/ i9 and real parts but at this point the frame/fork option for $5K is what I would rather do it's just easier and a bit less work overall....

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Rob METZ & 0De(railleur) 'Taniwha' P1.12 at PINION booth, 2016 EuroBike, Friedrichshafen, Bodensee Northern lakeside (Lat. Lacus Raetiae Brigantinus), BW, 'Göhrmanee'.

Courtesy of Pinion.eu

Courtesy of PinkBike.com

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
This article says that the suspension remains active while braking: "I just had to go and smash some steep roots so we shot down V-trail to hit the 10cm high root bed before a hard right berm. This is where I was sure things wouldn't go so well. Boy was I surprised to float over that section under hard braking like never before."
But the antirise value is slightly above 100%, see here http://linkagedesign.blogspot.se/2016/09/zerode-taniwha-275-2017.html?m=1 which should imply that traction is a bit compromised in that situation.
Do you agree with my analysis or I am just being too analytical..? :D

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I really hope this catches on. Dropper posts are heavy AF compared to a Thompson Elite, but they are on everything now. Obviously a compromise, but I'm having a hard time being excited about the "latest and greatest" 50t sprocket and an XL clutch derailleur yanking on the suspension.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Wow! $5,125 for the frame and drivetrain. Plus another $2500-3000 for fork, wheels, post and brakes... I know some people are willing to throw down that much, but no thanks. Besides the drivetrain, what makes it so great?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
They were on a pre-order basis for the fist batch which should be shipping soon, and it was 5200 with a fork. I decided to wait due to house $$$$$ expenses and now am on the fence, between this and the peregrinebikes, leaning towards the later....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wow! $5,125 for the frame and drivetrain. Plus another $2500-3000 for fork, wheels, post and brakes... I know some people are willing to throw down that much, but no thanks. Besides the drivetrain, what makes it so great?
when you compare the price against the eagle groupset, the cheaper version is $1200 and top end version is $1500, both with a smaller gear range, the frame pricing is inline with what you'd expect for a high end carbon enduro bike.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Plus (according to the manufacturor and a few other sources), maintenance on a Pinion is near non existent. Compared to Eagle which will need new cassettes and chains on a fairly regular basis. So upfront cost needs to also take into consideration a few extra cassettes, several hours of maintenance and a far lower chance of snapping a chain out in the middle of nowhere

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Any plans for an aluminum model for those of an anti dentite persuasion? Really exciting bike, but price probably rules it out for me :(

Edit: probably like most "frame up" carbon build options at the moment

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bullshit, everyone knows you'll need a new bike in a year, two maybe, and three, you're some sort of fucking retro-grouch.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ali had his at my shop last weekend and was racing it in the Karori round of the local DH series.
Apparently all the frames are at the paint shop and should be ready to ship shortly.
I'm wondering how big of a tire will fit in the back.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Agreed^2. Now if only they could do some something about the twist shifter.

I know, I know. Some people love them. I don't. I've tried pretty much every iteration of grip shift going back to the days when the company was called Grip Shift and spent two seasons with a Rholoff on my mtb so it's not for a lack of trying.

If Pinion made a trigger shifter for this bike Zerode would have had my money months ago. Or just wholly embrace the future a put a couple Bluetooth buttons on there and go straight to wireless electronic shifting.
Yeah, the grip shifter is kind of a non-starter for me. I admittedly haven't got as much time on one recently as it sounds like you do, but just... no.

I'm also concerned about a 12 speed with 600% range. That's 50% bigger average jumps between gears than the 11-40 Shimano 11 speed setup that I run (and am very happy with). As someone who is kind of picky about not having monster jumps between gears, and being able to maintain a happy cadence, I can see that bugging me too. To each their own and so on, but I really, really don't need a 600% range and would much rather have a tighter spread.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The P1.12 = 17.7% where Eagle = 16% not a giant difference....not sure what the old 9/10 speeds had.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The P1.12 = 17.7% where Eagle = 16% not a giant difference....not sure what the old 9/10 speeds had.
Okay. I have the same problem with Eagle though, so saying it's not that much worse than that doesn't really make me feel any better.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay. I have the same problem with Eagle though, so saying it's not that much worse than that doesn't really make me feel any better.
Is the Eagle spread between gears greater than the 11spd? The 11spd 1/2 the time is to close especially when going downhill though on uphills my old ass likes it close. I haven't ridden eagle and don't really plan on it the derailure is like 3" off the ground maybe.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Is the Eagle spread between gears greater than the 11spd? The 11spd 1/2 the time is to close especially when going downhill though on uphills my old ass likes it close. I haven't ridden eagle and don't really plan on it the derailure is like 3" off the ground maybe.
A little, yeah. And Sram 11 is a little more than Shimano 11.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I find 11 speed on my Intense Tracer not low enough on the up and hot high enough on the way home.
I ride 8-10 miles of road to the trail then climb 4000 ft to the top of the mountain.

I got to have pretty low gears 26/42 up and pretty high on the road home 34/10.
Is the pinion gonna cut it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's a 549% total range, so the pinion does have significantly more. Whether it'll be enough for you, I can't say.