Quantcast

The Zerode thread

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I was wondering how they got their builds to 31 lbs. 33-35 sounds more realistic.
I dont think that is very easy to do. I am at high 34LBS with a 1280/1180 Tire weight combo. So I could shave 1 LBS off with 900 gram tires. I could shave 1lbs more with Magura brakes so maybe high 32lbs. I have 1800 gram wheels BTW.

dwojo

Chimp
May 20, 2017
Hi all, new to the thread but I really do appreciate everyone's input so far. I've got my XL on order so I should be rolling derailleur free before long. Just finalising the last build components. Rear hub is where I'm at. I've seen it mentioned that the pinion hub is built by acros and has 120 POE but it's really hard to get specs online anywhere that states this. Can anyone help with a spec sheet?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Hi all, new to the thread but I really do appreciate everyone's input so far. I've got my XL on order so I should be rolling derailleur free before long. Just finalising the last build components. Rear hub is where I'm at. I've seen it mentioned that the pinion hub is built by acros and has 120 POE but it's really hard to get specs online anywhere that states this. Can anyone help with a spec sheet?
The new hub has more engagement points than the one last used. I have i9 hubs on mine with 120 points it isn't really enough. I build another it will have Profile 208 or Onyx hubs BTW.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The new hub has more engagement points than the one last used. I have i9 hubs on mine with 120 points it isn't really enough. I build another it will have Profile 208 or Onyx hubs BTW.
How many points of engagement are Onyx hubs?

Now that you've ridden the bike for a bit, how is the drag on the pinion? I ride a lot to the trails, so I ride some road. Just curious to if you can feel the drag or not.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
The ONYX is totally active so no points! It is heavy though......

It is there but very minimal. It has gotten better the last few months. You can hear noise but actual drag I don't think is huge. I ride about 2 miles each way to the trail on the road.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
How many points of engagement are Onyx hubs?
If you are interested I can talk to Profile or ONYX and see what kind of pricing they can do on hubs. I have no clue what they typically charge. Just email me....

Dec 9, 2015
I am looking at either an Onyx or Profile rear hub also for running with the pinion. It is not too noticeable going dh as long as you don't really back pedal.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I will say I do use the easiest gears, but doubt I will use the hardest, but every thing is steep and tech here, otherwise it seems spot on.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I will say I do use the easiest gears, but doubt I will use the hardest, but every thing is steep and tech here, otherwise it seems spot on.
Yeah the stuff I am climbing isn't super steep. Ideally I would be able to push a much harder gear the whole time but haven't been riding as much the last few months.

Thanks

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The ONYX is totally active so no points! It is heavy though......

It is there but very minimal. It has gotten better the last few months. You can hear noise but actual drag I don't think is huge. I ride about 2 miles each way to the trail on the road.
Profile is 363 g
Onyx is 453 g
I9 is 280 g

Last edited:

dwojo

Chimp
May 20, 2017
When new bike parts are arriving but the frame is still a little way away the new bike dreaming gets taken to another level.

XL Taniwha should be here soon and I can't wait to take it for a spin. Truth email told I've be completely obsessed with this bike when the prototype was released at Crankworx 2-years ago. I've been pouring over every review and pick since.

The bike build just released on fanatik bike is a lot of fun. Gives a build weight total too and the end result is pretty respectable.

https://www.fanatikbike.com/products/bike-builder

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
@Rembrandt I wasn't overly happy with the tensioner arrangement - wore through about a 1/4 of the pin within 4months of owning the bike.

I designed and machined an igus bushing tensioner which doesn't require lubrication. I haven't annodized it yet so will wear a little faster on the shaft but so far so good. After I have tested it for a while I'd be happy to get a few made up for other Taniwha owners. It's a one part swap out + igus bushing.

I've spoken to Rob @ Zerode and Pinion. Pinion are bringing it up at their next monthly meeting. Will be interesting to see how quickly they resolve the issue as I see it as a major design flaw on an otherwise great product.
Jeremy how are you going with the mass production of your tensioner ! ? Mine is creaking quite a lot I am not sure how to fix it, it is the spring I think, although it maybe a guide wheel pin/shaft ?

wblh

Chimp
Nov 24, 2016
Hi
how much travel are you guys running in your forks . I currently run a 170 Lyrik on my Taniwha but I am keen to hear views from anyone who has run both 160 and 170
cheers

dwojo

Chimp
May 20, 2017
When will the new frames be available?
Mine should be delivered next week. Final payment being made Wednesday. I'm hoping for financial amnesia straight afterwards.

My first build will be 160mm front & 26" wheels. I'm calling it my "back to the future" build.

Build 2.0 will be when I can afford a new fork and wheelset. Tossing up between 160/170mm x 27.5 or 160mm x 29 front/27.5 rear.

wblh

Chimp
Nov 24, 2016
got a mate whos 1.73 tall and normally rides a medium, his current weapon is a medium Bronson 1 and it fits him well, however he is being advised that he should go with a large Taiwha, I would be interested to hear you guys thoughts on this along with what size you are currently on and what your height is. Thanks

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
got a mate whos 1.73 tall and normally rides a medium, his current weapon is a medium Bronson 1 and it fits him well, however he is being advised that he should go with a large Taiwha, I would be interested to hear you guys thoughts on this along with what size you are currently on and what your height is. Thanks
It isn't a big bike. In fact it is damn close to SC sizing. The MD Bronson is 16.73" reach and the Taniwha is 16.53" what length stem is he running now?

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Jeremy how are you going with the mass production of your tensioner ! ? Mine is creaking quite a lot I am not sure how to fix it, it is the spring I think, although it maybe a guide wheel pin/shaft ?
Hey Rembrandt, so far so good, it's smooth, quiet and I haven't had too lube it :banana::brows: - and the tensioner works well too! :p I'd be happy to make up a few to replace the dodgy ones shipped with it. Would make it a whole bunch cheaper if a few people were keen. PM me your email and we can chat.

Anyone else interested?

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
Hey Rembrandt, so far so good, it's smooth, quiet and I haven't had too lube it :banana::brows: - and the tensioner works well too! :p I'd be happy to make up a few to replace the dodgy ones shipped with it. Would make it a whole bunch cheaper if a few people were keen. PM me your email and we can chat.

Anyone else interested?
Will do thanks Jeremy. Mine is getting worn so I think there will be a few other Taniwha owners out there who would benefit with a stronger part. I have clocked about 1500k on mine.

dwojo

Chimp
May 20, 2017
Finished the build yesterday. This is Taniwha 1.0 or my 'Back to the Future' build. 26" wheels and fork because I couldn't afford to go the whole way straight up.
Took it for a spin in the street and was blown away. Here are my findings so far:
Gripshift - no issues whatsoever.
Slight pause to shift - no issues whatsoever, you can quickly shift at the bottom of a pedal stroke, its super quick, fractions of a second and the pause is no longer than what you should do on a derailleur drivetrain.
Weight - I haven't weighed it but it feels lighter overall than my alloy AM rig it replaces.
Gearbox drag - for me it's imperceptible. There's a cool whir from the box but I didn't find the unit holding me back any and perfect shifting, perfect gearing, perfect chain line everytime is a huge benefit. From all reports it just gets better with time as well. Can't say that about a regular drivetrain.
Gearbox engagement - probably only downside but it's manageable. Nothing that you won't get used to
Cost - well it's not cheap but it's a small brand and it's a huge effort to get it off the ground. I'm stoked Rob has gone through with production. Hopefully we're leading the charge for more of these to come and with that scale things get cheaper. Buy once, buy right. I haven't been disappointed yet when I've done that.

I'll report back after clocking some dirt miles with a longer-term review.

Attachments

Rembrandt

Chimp
Mar 25, 2017
Finished the build yesterday. This is Taniwha 1.0 or my 'Back to the Future' build. 26" wheels and fork because I couldn't afford to go the whole way straight up.
Took it for a spin in the street and was blown away. Here are my findings so far:
Gripshift - no issues whatsoever.
Slight pause to shift - no issues whatsoever, you can quickly shift at the bottom of a pedal stroke, its super quick, fractions of a second and the pause is no longer than what you should do on a derailleur drivetrain.
Weight - I haven't weighed it but it feels lighter overall than my alloy AM rig it replaces.
Gearbox drag - for me it's imperceptible. There's a cool whir from the box but I didn't find the unit holding me back any and perfect shifting, perfect gearing, perfect chain line everytime is a huge benefit. From all reports it just gets better with time as well. Can't say that about a regular drivetrain.
Gearbox engagement - probably only downside but it's manageable. Nothing that you won't get used to
Cost - well it's not cheap but it's a small brand and it's a huge effort to get it off the ground. I'm stoked Rob has gone through with production. Hopefully we're leading the charge for more of these to come and with that scale things get cheaper. Buy once, buy right. I haven't been disappointed yet when I've done that.

I'll report back after clocking some dirt miles with a longer-term review.
Sounds good Dwogo, the experience only improves. The gearbox is amazing and the bike rides superbly.
The only issue I have had is a creak which I have now deducted is the rear hub, which I am servicing. I had to ride my Transition today which is a nice bike but I had forgotten how limited the gear changing options are with the prehistoric derailleur ... oh well in a few days will be back not the Taniwha.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
I might be interested in the spring tensioner upgrade too, any idea on $$?

For size, I have always ridden medium on older size bikes and decided to go large for this, it feels good, i am 5'10" and wear 32" pants, I was skeptical for sure but I test road a few other bikes with similar geometry and the large fit, though I installed 800 mm bars, too wide and am now on 740ish, I think now.

I too have a creak, but I am not having luck with location, I will check my hub, but I think it's crank related, as I forgot to check tighten the arms for my first ride......oops

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
I might be interested in the spring tensioner upgrade too, any idea on $$?

For size, I have always ridden medium on older size bikes and decided to go large for this, it feels good, i am 5'10" and wear 32" pants, I was skeptical for sure but I test road a few other bikes with similar geometry and the large fit, though I installed 800 mm bars, too wide and am now on 740ish, I think now.

I too have a creak, but I am not having luck with location, I will check my hub, but I think it's crank related, as I forgot to check tighten the arms for my first ride......oops
Will get back to you early this week on $$ just getting a couple of quotes out... Shouldn't be too bad and really tops of the low maintenance/silent operation aspects of the Taniwha! :) The little squeak was so annoying - I was sometimes getting it even after I'd lubed at start of ride with some T9.

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Hi all,

I have got quotes in for parts and you're looking at $50AUD for the Hard Annodised Tensioner/ Igus J bushings + shipping (~should be pretty cheap worldwide as they are a small parts) Please send me a PM if you need more details and are interested.

The retrofit will consist of the following:

New pivot made from 6061-T6 Hard Anodised Aluminium - hard anodising increases the life significantly over regular anodising
Igus J polymer flange bushings X2 - one to fit up straight away and a spare if the first ever wears out - they are pretty cheap so and easy maintenance item.

The fix is intended to be permanent. The main wearable part is the polymer bush, however this should last for a long time. The bushes can be replaced and are low cost. I will also include 2 bushes in the retrofit.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Last edited: