Quantcast

The Zombie Thread

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So how do Zombies differ from infected? Don't infected people become zombies? :panic:

Great game, I played the first one for a little bit last night. Blowing zombie/infected heads off never gets old. That's awesome you are on the soundtrack for it.
Zombies aren't infected by anything, they're the undead.

Geez....:rolleyes:

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
If zombies are the "undead" and regular people are "alive" aka "not dead", does it follow that zombies are people too or that regular people are zombies?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
World War Z - brilliant! Go get it NOW!
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies - uninspired. Great cover art though.

My question is why the fascination with zombies/the undead in the first place? Personally I have a couple of possible explanations. 1.) As members of a consumer society, the zombie is simply an outward reflection of ourselves. There is a reason that the best zombie movie of all time (Dawn of the Dead - both versions actually) takes place in a shopping mall. 2.) There does seem to be a growing sense that the way we collectively understand the world is no longer working. All of our concepts and categories don't explain the things that they are supposed to explain, and everybody can see the harm that continued use of these categories causes, and yet they just won't go away. Things like the nation-state or "true religion" (read fundamentalism) are dead but are still shambling around wreaking havoc. Again, the fascination with the undead (for example, the Twilight or Underworld book/film series, along with all the zombie stuff) is an unconscious recognition of just how f*ed up things are, and an attempt to make it all comprehensible.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA

My question is why the fascination with zombies/the undead in the first place? Personally I have a couple of possible explanations. 1.) As members of a consumer society, the zombie is simply an outward reflection of ourselves. There is a reason that the best zombie movie of all time (Dawn of the Dead - both versions actually) takes place in a shopping mall. 2.) There does seem to be a growing sense that the way we collectively understand the world is no longer working. All of our concepts and categories don't explain the things that they are supposed to explain, and everybody can see the harm that continued use of these categories causes, and yet they just won't go away. Things like the nation-state or "true religion" (read fundamentalism) are dead but are still shambling around wreaking havoc. Again, the fascination with the undead (for example, the Twilight or Underworld book/film series, along with all the zombie stuff) is an unconscious recognition of just how f*ed up things are, and an attempt to make it all comprehensible.
My roommate is fascinated by zombies.....in fact I think he truly does believe they are real.

It's good entertainment for me.:rofl:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Zombieland - Saw it yesterday. Solid flick. A bit predictable, but I wasn't expecting deep art here (nor do I expect anyone else is). Definitely fun, and the cameo was pure money!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
"World War Z" by Max Brooks is a great book. It's a collection of first person accounts of a world wide zombie outbreak. A must read for the people of this thread.
Justin we listened to that on our roadtrip up the gold coast in Austrailia (but only when it was dark), amazing read/listen.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

My favorite zombie film is "The Omega Man".

When I first saw it as a child, it was cool to watch Charlton Heston shoot a bunch of guns at the living dead.

Now that I am fully immersed in the zombie culture, I can appreciate the more sophisticated concepts.

One idea that especially comes thru in The Omega Man is urban angst. For those who live in apartment buildings in overpopulated neighborhoods, there is nothing more annoying than the late night car alarm or the gansta cold-lamping. So there is something satisfying watching Neville respond to harassing zombies outside his brownstone with a Browning Automatic Rifle with an infrared scope going full auto.

There were the classic themes of urbanization and overpopulation, but there were also a few ideas unique to the film, such as counter-culture, cults, and interracial relationships.

Ah, forget all the intellectually mamby-pamby. Who doesn't get turned on by this:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Omega Man - remade as I Am Legend with Will Smith
I had real low expectations, and there were met with I Am Legend.

Will Smith did not seem like a very solitary man, someone who can operate alone in a fascinating way.

If you think movies like Never Cry Wolf, Lonely Are the Brave, or Silent Running, the lead actor are able to generate interest when alone (or with their animal).

But my biggest complaint is the zombies. CGI just looked ridiculous, like we were playing Doom.

I've said this several times: there should be a zombie movie every month. It might sound silly, but considering how small of budget they require (just white makeup, fake blood, and a few limbs), I think they should replace horror flicks as the low-budget thriller.

P.S. I would watch Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. Closer to the book by Richard Matheson and much more interesting to see a physically weak actor survive in the zombie world.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I had real low expectations, and there were met with I Am Legend.

Will Smith did not seem like a very solitary man, someone who can operate alone in a fascinating way.

If you think movies like Never Cry Wolf, Lonely Are the Brave, or Silent Running, the lead actor are able to generate interest when alone (or with their animal).

But my biggest complaint is the zombies. CGI just looked ridiculous, like we were playing Doom.

I've said this several times: there should be a zombie movie every month. It might sound silly, but considering how small of budget they require (just white makeup, fake blood, and a few limbs), I think they should replace horror flicks as the low-budget thriller.

P.S. I would watch Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price. Closer to the book by Richard Matheson and much more interesting to see a physically weak actor survive in the zombie world.
**** movies, think reality TV/game show.

-Fence in downtown Detroit.
-Lobotomize a bunch of violent prisoners with life sentences, shoot them full of PCP, rabies and LSD.
-Throw in a handful of contestants with helmet cams and home made weapons.
-Contestant with the most kills wins a Hawaiian vacation and a lifetime supply of Big League Chew.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
**** movies, think reality TV/game show.

-Fence in downtown Detroit.
-Lobotomize a bunch of violent prisoners with life sentences, shoot them full of PCP, rabies and LSD.
-Throw in a handful of contestants with helmet cams and home made weapons.
-Contestant with the most kills wins a Hawaiian vacation and a lifetime supply of Big League Chew.
Isn't that Detroit right now? Except for the helmet cams...

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
That's what I had always expected the show Survivor to be. Where's the fun if there's no risk you won't survive?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Zombies aren't infected by anything, they're the undead.

Geez....:rolleyes:
The undead are indeed zombies, but not all zombies are undead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie said:
A zombie is a creature that appears in folklore and popular culture typically as a reanimated corpse or a mindless human being.*** Stories of zombies originated in the Afro-Caribbean spiritual belief system of Vodou, which told of the people being controlled as laborers by a powerful sorcerer. Zombies became a popular device in modern horror fiction, largely because of the success of George A. Romero's 1968 film Night of the Living Dead.[1]
See also:
Serpent and the Rainbow
28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
***The crowd at any Megadeth concert