Quantcast

Theft Warning - Issaqueena - Parking lot - Catalytic Converters Theft

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Catalytic Converter Theft Warning For SUV & Truck Owners. Seems there has been a Rash of Catalytic Converter Theft there in the main Parking (Old Six Mile rd.) lot area. It happened last thursday to a White Dodge 4x4 last Thursday around 4:30 then just got a call from a friend saying that the whole lot and road parked vehicles were hit this past Monday afternoon. Cars don't seem to be the target, big trucks and suvs because they're easier to get under.

Keep on the lookout for suspicious activity and please report anything out of the ordinary - with the 133 bridge out the makes the Issaqueena area a little more remote, less road activity makes that a prime spot for thieves to get in and out with little notice. so if you see a vehicle riding around report it! If you have any information that you think we would be interested in you may call the Pickens County Sheriff at (864) 898-KOPS (5677)

evidently the rampant theft of SUV & Truck catalytic converters for the recyclable materials $$$ and not for the converter resale itself (who knew there was a market for this?) seems like the police should be going after the junkyards.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Doesn't suprise me really with everything being more expensive.

How the heck are they getting them off;with a blowtorch or plasma cutter ?
Must be interesting driving up into your driveway after that happens.All the neighbors will instantly think your a big redneck!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
sawzall. This is very popular in baltimore especially in the state parks. I almost nothing you can do except park somewhere that makes it akward to get at your cat. Chop shops and junkyards take them without question.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Man that sucks. I heard on the local news recently about this going on and getting worse. There must be enough platinum and other metals to make it worth while for those losers.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Foreign catalytic converters are also more valuable than domestic and the bigger, the better. (for them) These suckers are worth money too, i sold some before (legally) and was astounded at the amount that you get for each one. Its still not worth quitting your day job for though.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Both Cars that had the cats stolen were Toyotas. A 2008 Tundra and a 2007 Sequoia. I rolled up for an XC ride about 10 mins after my buddy dave got back to his Tundra and discovered the theft. He was only riding for an hour and his truck was in the main parking lot among about 10 other vehicles. There was a clean 4 foot section taken out of his exhaust before and after the O2 sensors for the cat. It was obviously done with a Sawzall.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
reportedly they are getting $300+ for them. It's really bad up here in Michigan. Theifs are hitting ride share parking lots with sawzals and typically getting 20+ cars at a time.