Quantcast

there be some snow

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
http://blog.sfgate.com/ski/2016/01/31/work-or-play-the-300-club-and-other-inducements-to-play-hooky/

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Work is overrated. Skiing is impossible to overrate.

Especially in a season like the one we’re wallowing in now. Ullr and the rest of the snow gods are smiling down on us.

If that isn’t enough to get you to take a day off, consider these reports from the High Sierra:

“Kirkwood Mountain Resort and Northstar California Resort have joined the “300 Club” as, today, both mountains not only reached but surpassed 300 inches of natural, season-to-date snowfall. Additional flakes are in this week’s forecast.”

“Looks like we’ll be getting free refills all day at Sierra-at-Tahoe! Our latest storm dropped another 5 inches of freshies overnight and it is currently dumping at the base. That brings our storm total to an amazing 15 inches and counting, with another 3-7 inches forecast to fall throughout the day. Now that we are in the thick of the storm, the snow is getting lighter and fluffier …”

“The experience [of skiing Alpine Meadows] was one of sliding through untracked butter. Four inches of soft, white, smooth and delicious snow. We skied God’s Knob, Gentian Gully, and the areas under High Yellow and Sherwood Cliffs. It was another good morning at Alpine Meadows.” Andy Wertheim on UnofficialAlpine.com

Mt. Rose is reporting powder and all trails open. Boreal says they got nine new inches in 48 hours. Tahoe Donner’s entirely open with a 90-inch base. All trails at Mammoth are open, and there’s 150 inches of snow covering the summit.

So. Work or play? Snowy slopes or Super Bowl crowds? Sierra sunshine or office fluorescent?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Skied Homewood last week...great time, and free. I know I am getting old when I am okay skiing alone and dont always seek out the steep and deep. I was perfectly content cruising the wide open groomers and jumping right onto the lifts...

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sh!ttiest winter ever around here.
No snow, warm and sh!tty weather too.
There are only a few areas with a lot of snow. But guess what, the avalanche risks there are through the roof at the moment.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have become so good at skiing dogshit. That when I finally get some good snow it makes it all the better. I love those kind of days so much I justify buying good equipment just for them.