Quantcast

There could be a large amount of awesome in store for me!

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So on a whim, I just applied for transfer to the School of Biological Studies at University of Auckland (NZ). If I'm accepted I'm definitely going for at least a semester. :thumb:

On top of New Zealand being awesome its much cheaper to study there. Tuition at my current school is $32k a year (I have scholarships so I don't pay anything close to that) And if I go to Auckland tuition comes out to about $4500 a year.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm really excited about this! :weee:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Shiiiit. I wish I was still in the find a university market. Have fun with that. Post a lot of pictures if you succeed.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
definitely do it.

Great riding and attitude to sport in general in NZ plus it's good to see what life is like elsewhere for a bit.

Only reason i can think why you shouldn't is if it will affect your scolarship.

best of luck with the application.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I will definitely invest in a good camera and take tons of pictures if I go. As for my scholarships here, I plan on taking a leave of absence, so if I want to come back I should be able to pick up right where I left off.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
So on a whim, I just applied for transfer to the School of Biological Studies at University of Auckland (NZ). If I'm accepted I'm definitely going for at least a semester. :thumb:

On top of New Zealand being awesome its much cheaper to study there. Tuition at my current school is $32k a year (I have scholarships so I don't pay anything close to that) And if I go to Auckland tuition comes out to about $4500 a year.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I'm really excited about this! :weee:
This is starting to look a little BIGHITR'ey with the smilies. I am worried. :D

Get on it. Hopefully you get great news.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
When you do go, there's a lady in the Massey/Henderson/Glen Eden area I'd like you to look up for me. Went out with her when I was there, then lost track. Otherwise, have boatloads of fun...............

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
When you do go, there's a lady in the Massey/Henderson/Glen Eden area I'd like you to look up for me. Went out with her when I was there, then lost track. Otherwise, have boatloads of fun...............
No offense but I'm more in the market for girls in the 18-21 range... But if this girl is in that range good for you! I'll definitely look her up!

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
No offense but I'm more in the market for girls in the 18-21 range... But if this girl is in that range good for you! I'll definitely look her up!
None taken. All I'd need is her phone number and address, if at all possible.

No, really, that's all I'd need, I'll do the contacting part myself.................

Oh, and congrats on getting in. Enjoy the time there.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I saw this on Vital earlier. Soooo awesome! I need to figure out my bike situation for over there. I'd love to have my DH bike but I may just end up bringing my 4x bike so I can use it to cruise around campus and the city too.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Even for the bike park, you could ride everything on a 4X. Most of the runs were well-groomed. There was some roots and whatnot, but I think for overall riding there a DH bike would be overkill. I rented a Glory and would have been fine with the Trances they had as well.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
So it looks like the school lost some of my papers and I won't be able to get new ones to them in time to attend this semester... But..! Since I've already taken the semester off from school here, I made the decision to go ahead and go have a few months of playtime down there :weee: I'm getting an open ended round trip plane ticket this week, planning to leave Feb. 16th. I got a working holiday visa so I can work while I'm down there and I'm free to stay up to 12 months. Right now the plan is to find a room to rent around Auckland to use as a base camp for my adventures. My parents are giving me 2 months to find a job. If I find a job, I just have to be back in time to start school back here in the fall.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I did a working holiday visa right after college and had a blast. I was a manager at a ski resort on the south island and it was some of the nastiest terrain I've ever seen. Have fun - and spend as much time as possible in Fiordland.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Everyone I know that "took off a semester" during college never went back and are currently working dead-end jobs and living at home still. Literally. Every. Single. One.

Just sayin'....

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Everyone I know that "took off a semester" during college never went back and are currently working dead-end jobs and living at home still. Literally. Every. Single. One.

Just sayin'....
Most people that "take a semester off" really failed out. And I didn't do it on purpose. I was supposed to be in school while I was there but it didn't work out so now I'm forced to take a semester off. I have every intention of finishing school when I get back. I only have 4 or 5 semesters left!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Most people that "take a semester off" really failed out. And I didn't do it on purpose. I was supposed to be in school while I was there but it didn't work out so now I'm forced to take a semester off. I have every intention of finishing school when I get back. I only have 4 or 5 semesters left!
One of them was a ~4.0 GPA student at Harvard....

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

Just sayin'....
I took a quarter off to live in Tahoe and work at Squallywood. My room mates and I all finished school got jorbs and don't live at home.

Although sometimes I wish I had said fvck it and stayed in the mountains.