Quantcast

There goes the summer ):

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
On my 3rd run on A-line Saturday, I over rotated on a table :stupid: and landed on my wrist and head. I shattered the ends of both bones in my arm, and wound up with a couple stitches in my head. And I actually consider myself lucky...coulda been worse. Time to buy a new helmet, this ones tired of saving me.

6-8 weeks in a cast. A summer of riding plans, up in smoke. :angry:

Thanks for the sympathetic ear.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Get well!!
Become a photographer (if you can use your arms and wrists) and take lots of riding pics while you are down....

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
bibs said:
sorry bro! thats no good at all! im out for same amount of time plus some....we can go watch people ride and heckle them :) sit at SST with a lawn chair and some beers and heckle everyone :) and take pics :)
How are you w/ a BBQ grill? I sense a cookout in your futures!!:oink:

Sorry to hear about the carnage and heal faster than they expect!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I just got back, and was looking for ya! I kept looking for a Giant Ac1 but I only saw one, and it wasn't you. I'm sooooo bummed for you.
This was my first trip up to Whistler since the summer before last. I was loving it. The place was alittle wet on Sat. but not too bad. We hit Dirt, Aline, Crack addict,Pirate, Schleyer and it was all good. We woke up to heavy rain so we headed home.
It was fun to see how a yr. of progressing has changed that place for me. It's all good to go. I held back in some spots and let it go in others. I was looking forward to riding with ya Bro, after seeing you charge so hard at Fromme a few weeks ago. Get well soon!!!!!

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Man, another one hurt - and not little stuff like sprains. I lost count on all the people w/ broken this and broken that.

Heal up dude!

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
SuperSlow said:
over rotated as in throwin 3's?
Nah, the lip kicked up my back tire and it just kept going...and going...and going. By the time I hit the groung, my bike was almost riding me! To the casual observer, it might have looked like I was trying a forward flip.

I guess it's one of the few tables on A-line that requires you to pull up.

To those familiar, it was the last big table before the GLC. The one with the big SLOW sign, and plywood at the bottom. It has a reeaal steep and long tranny. I guess I should have read the sign.

I'll find out tomorrow if I need surgury.

Keep it safe out there!

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
You rode today? I took one look out there and it was ugly. My bike would hardly ride after the end of Sat. So gunked up. Good times though! I wish we had met before, we could've rode a few runs. We met two guys from Seattle, but I didn't know their names (Bullit, downhillzone jersey) was one guy.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
From 10-noon, it was great. It had rained earlier, but it was just tacky when I was riding. I guess it started raining pretty hard later, but I was headed for Seattle by that time.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
That same section was claming alot of people last year. It's those last two or three hits before the GLC that you really gotta adjust your speed accordingly. Heal up soon, we gotta get back to the shore!

Gex

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2004
Seattle
largextracheese said:
You rode today? I took one look out there and it was ugly. My bike would hardly ride after the end of Sat. So gunked up. Good times though! I wish we had met before, we could've rode a few runs. We met two guys from Seattle, but I didn't know their names (Bullit, downhillzone jersey) was one guy.
Yeah we rode sunday it was a rediculous mud hole. As for that last table so many people seem to over shoot it. It had atleast 2 people that i saw down on it. Iv got my whistler season pass now so ill be going up lots :) DM 2 aline all day long... Insert Joy ride a dab of clownshoes throw in a whistler national run call it a day.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Doc said I'll need a titanium bracket and a couple screws to put things back where they belong.

I guess I'll have to change my name to Mechanized Descent, Steel Freerider, Ti Guy, or something equally cheezy.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Wow, that's some serious stiff bro. I feel for ya. I sasume it's a peice that will eventually be taken out? Di you get to see the xray? If you got it, scan and let's see it. I'm surprised more people havn't thrown some xrays on here. Seems like it would be a better reality check. Like I said, I skipped last yr. at Whistler due to work and injury. Going up there this yr. it amazes me how everyone is going off. I mean everyone. The big GLC is how everybody ends their run now, as an example. It just seems that injuries are so prevalent lately.

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Big B said:
Nah, the lip kicked up my back tire and it just kept going...and going...and going. By the time I hit the groung, my bike was almost riding me! To the casual observer, it might have looked like I was trying a forward flip.

I guess it's one of the few tables on A-line that requires you to pull up.

To those familiar, it was the last big table before the GLC. The one with the big SLOW sign, and plywood at the bottom. It has a reeaal steep and long tranny. I guess I should have read the sign.

I'll find out tomorrow if I need surgury.

Keep it safe out there!
That table took out more than a few riders last year, locals were even getting wrecked on it because they assumed they could beat it, one guy knocked himself out cold...the slow sign, really is there for a reason :)

Heal up, 6weeks isn't the whole summer you will still have tonnes of ride time, hopefully it isn't bad enough to warrant surgery :)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Good lord...if there is anything I have learned to heed, it is 'caution' or 'slow' signs. My very first trip down a-line, I nose wheelied out of the first two big tabletops, actually steering the bike before the rear wheel came down. Talk about instant pucker factor! What the original poster described is why I no longer attempt BMX-style doubles on my MTBs.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
Roasted said:
That table took out more than a few riders last year, locals were even getting wrecked on it because they assumed they could beat it, one guy knocked himself out cold...the slow sign, really is there for a reason
At the time, I figured SLOW meant I could really sky off the sucker if I kept my speed.

...and boy did I fly...big air. Woulda been great if I landed it! Oh-well. Live and learn. I'll go slower next year.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
I'm surprised that we haven't come up with names yet for each of the tables on A-line:confused:

That last table was one of my favorites when I went last year. I think that was the most time I've ever spent in the air on my bike...while being in control as well!