Quantcast

There is such a thing as dumb questions

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Okay, so I have this classmate who has been in college now for 3 years, and most of his classes have been science courses. We're both trying to get into medical school...ANyway, today we were in biochemistry, and there was a barnacle (little shell thing on the side of a boat) sitting in a jar of formaldehyde. So first he asked," So, is it still alive?" Our teacher in her infinite patience, said no that it was dead. So then he asked, "so what is a barnacle anyway?" She told him it was an arthropod http://insected.arizona.edu/arthroinfo.htm m

So then he sat and thought for a minute, then these were the words he said:
"So it's like, full of spiders?" I wanted to hurl... :dead: :nuts:

Anyone else had dumb questions asked in their presence. I've got more on the same guy, but I'll save those for later

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
I was taking a test one time in bio and a guy leaned over to me and said
yo.....how do you spell "OF"

after the test he informed me that he just had a mind blank and he thought it was spelled "UV" but somehow he knew that was not correct.....

the bio test was on DNA/RNA structure too :dead:

D

d-sop

i ask pretty dumb questions. partly because im dumb. and the other part is my adhd.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
foxfreerider11 said:
I was taking a test one time in bio and a guy leaned over to me and said
yo.....how do you spell "OF"

after the test he informed me that he just had a mind blank and he thought it was spelled "UV" but somehow he knew that was not correct.....

the bio test was on DNA/RNA structure too :dead:
Crap, I have to sympathize with that guy, this is embarrassing.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I had a roommate who shopped an astronomy class at a large university on the east coast whose color may or may not be crimson and one of the allegedly super-smart students actually asked in the first day:

"Is the north star always up?"

My roommate didn't take the class.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
NB: the thread title should be "there ARE no such thingS as dumb questions"

:nope: :nuts:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Open the door ya dirty whore!
It's Barnacle Balls da Sailor!

My old boss used to sing that on the roof when it rained, he was a funny guy. :)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Some girl in my history class asked what this figure was on the desk. It was a Swastika (sp?) She said she had never seen or heard of this so called symbol and asked what it meant. :dead: Keep in mind this was history class.

She also asked if a falcon was a bird. Cute blond, just dumb.

Some girl in one of my CAPT testing session leaned over and asked, "hey, what month is it" I aked her if she was kidding and she said, "Hey! I dont keep track of these things."

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Toshi,

WHo gives a crap? And that would be the opposite of what I was trying to say. But thanks anyway grammar-nazi.

OK. Round two.
Last year in my preparation for med-school class, we'd been having an ethics discussion about stem cells.http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/basics/
We'd been talking about it for a good 15 minutes or so and he decides to chime in with," Do you all mean the cells of a plant stem?" Once again, I wanted to hurl

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
given that your point seems to be that you're a sharper kid than your buddy i think my dig is very much on topic.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
wannabeabonedoc, what school do you go to? i sure what to make a point not to get anywhere near that place. don't get me wrong, i've heard stupid questions, but those stop at, like, "what's an augmented 6th?" or "what does the little circle next to the 7 mean?"

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
I had a guy in one of my E.M.T. classes ask if someone looses their hand is it possible to grow it back?......... and he was totally serious.
the instructor told him "only if you catch it in erly stages".

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
See inbred, here's the thing. I go to a small liberal arts college where the largest class size is maybe 20. Most of the science classes we've taken have had no more than 10 people in them, and the professors are superb.

I'm not assuming that I'm smarter than him as I often come up with really dumb questions, but I have the common sense to either realize thier absurdity, or just not ask them outloud.

Round Three: We'd been talking in physics about projectile motion and wind resistance and stuff, and how calloway golf balls have hexagonal dimples so apparently it makes them spin in a way that it cuts down on wind resistance.
http://www.callawaygolf.com/en/ProductCatalogContent.aspx?product=46

So he proceeded to ask, "Did they know about that before golf was invented?"

GeoffW

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
My school had alot to do with Agriculture and the design of Machinery...had one guy who was a farmer and for the first year would always get a cultivator, swather, combine, and auger mixed up. Atleast there's a happy ending to this story..his job haas nothing to do with the design of ag machinery :)

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
wannabeabonedoc said:
Round Three: We'd been talking in physics about projectile motion and wind resistance and stuff, and how calloway golf balls have hexagonal dimples so apparently it makes them spin in a way that it cuts down on wind resistance.
http://www.callawaygolf.com/en/ProductCatalogContent.aspx?product=46

So he proceeded to ask, "Did they know about that before golf was invented?"
hmm, so what's the answer to that question?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
wannabeabonedoc said:
Toshi,

WHo gives a crap? And that would be the opposite of what I was trying to say. But thanks anyway grammar-nazi.
If you can't deal with mild jabs, I'd refrain from posting threads like this in the future.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Bjern Fita said:
a girl I went to school with, who was a senior prefect along with me, asked in her biology class if birds could see.

she now takes her clothes off for money
It was definitely worth signing up for RM just to post that. Nice work.