Quantcast

There really is no such thing as a non-camera phone anymore?

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Sure, but you'll have to pay extra for the non-feature. ;)

Actually, I just had to buy a new phone and the cheapest one I could get was a blingin' camera phone. There were still plenty of the old-fashioned kind for sale, though.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You can, but they're usually bottom of the line POS units. It seems a lot of the nice phone features like easy to read color displays are inextricably linked to the camera circuit.

I'm in the same predicament at work.

Mike

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I went through that last year and a friend at a Navy lab did as well. I ended up with an LG (model 4650 I think) and he got some Motorola. I've got plenty of features otherwise though - color lcd, speakerphone, voice dialing, etc.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The way I found a cheap non-bling phone was to ask friends/coworkers. Most people apparently get a new phone every couple years, so invariably someone will have an older unit. They might even just give it to you. :thumb:

J

JRB

I got an LG-4650 just recently. It has no phone and is a tri-mode, which is important, since I travel to areas that don't have digital towers. It wasn't ridiculously expensive, since I got them to take a year off of the contract to get the 2 year contract price.

Cell phone companies are stupid.

note to self - read Mike B's posts before blabbing off. :think:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
We have a big "no cameras" thing here too, and they even updated the policy to include camera phones as being prohibited. Everyone still has them in the building though.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Part of something sent out yesterday

Employees’ personal cell phones

Preamble
We must meet the industrial safety norms established by the Canadian government (Controlled Good Program) and that of the United States (ITAR - International Traffic in Arms Regulation). Generally speaking, must have an industrial security plan in place that takes into account the control, exam, possession and transfer of controlled goods. This same industrial security program must include control mechanism for cameras (cameras, cellular phones equipped with a picture taking device, and others).

a) All conditions in Usage (Section 4) apply with the adaptations needed for such telephones;

b) In addition, no telephones outfitted with the capacity to take/transmit pictures/images are allowed on premises.

c) No cellular telephone call may be received or made during regular business hours in the workplace.

d) Employees may take their voice mail message(s) for their personal cell phone during their rest period, lunch period and may receive or place calls during these periods. In the event of an emergency, employees may receive important phone calls with their supervisor’s authorization given beforehand, but not in the workplace or on the heliport however.

e) Employees who do not observe this policy will be asked to voluntarily or involuntarily turn in their telephone or leave facility premises, as required, and may be subject to appropriate and progressive disciplinary measures.

f) Sections a) and b) apply to visitors, customers and vendors. The receptionist and the security guards may impose this policy on them and notably refuse access to the facility to anyone who does not turn in their cellular phone ether voluntarily or involuntarily.

J

JRB

Seems as simple as leaving your phone in the car. You can't use it anyway.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
We have a big "no cameras" thing here too, and they even updated the policy to include camera phones as being prohibited. Everyone still has them in the building though.
exactly. same w/ our company.
mike, if you are worried about it, put the tip of an awl through the lens.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
fiddy_ryder said:
so what security clearnace do you have? The only other places ive been that say no camera are R&D type shops for big corps..
I work in product development for a huge corporation.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
I was working for Toyota Corp for at the national headquarters and corp office. In one R&D shop, to enter you had to walk through a certain door/device that emitted a some type of x ray that would expsose photo film :D

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
You can buy cell phones from ebay. They list all of the Cell companys and give you a break down on which phones work for the different providers. You can find the realy nice older phones for a good price.