Quantcast

there were about 2 good records released in 1976...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
one was the ramones' 1st, and the other is the Modern Lovers' debut. damn, i finally got around to getting a legit copy, and this stuff is ESSENTIAL. jonathan richman is the well-known nasally singer of the lovers, but other alumni include david robinson (later better known as drummer for cars) and jerry harrison (later better known as keyboard player for talking heads).

get it.

yr life will be enriched.

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Thank you God narlus cause I might have died had you not posted that ,BTW I was wearing combat boots, white tee shirts and army jackets ,levis 501`s then I was the origional PUNK ,Dam i`am getting old that was my 6th grade year

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
"one was the ramones' 1st, and the other is the Modern Lovers' debut."

I'd have to say it was the double-live album, "All the world's a stage"
by North America's greatest band EVER......Rush.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i don't know what the hell i was thinking last night...that modern lovers record was released in '72 or so.

it's still a great record, though.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Dude, you suck at life.
I bought the Modern Lovers LP when I was like 12, and I didn't own a record player.

Last time Jonathan came through he played for 3.5 hours at Pearl Street and played all those Spanish songs the no one knows, then he played all of his standards in French, and even Road Runner in Italian.... Freaking freaky genius

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
hey, one can't have ALL the essential records, can they?

just to make me feel better, i bought a lathe copy of the Dead C's "Metalheart" single while sipping coffee in Michael Morley's flat in Dunedin. ;)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you are into that whole prog-type/wank scene where people see how many 64th notes they can cram into their songs, then i guess those records would qualify as "good".

me, i'll pass on that (at least in large doses - i do like a few early genesis and king crimson records). but rush? i have to draw a line somewhere. plus, they are canadian. it's a well-known fact that canadians have no good bands, or taste in music for that matter. how else can you explain crap like triumph, quarterflash, tragically hip, barenaked ladies, or loverboy?

and don't try to take credit for neil young either. the only decent stuff from CA is the constellation records/ GYBE! axis, and that's Quebec. they are desparately trying to separate themselves from canada too.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
A misc selection of the "Best" from '76: (Billboard top 40)

I actually dig alot of this stuff...

Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band (#1) - what's not to love about THAT many innuendos in one song?

Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow) - Rhythm Heritage (#20) - I LOVE this theme!

The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy (#12) - whew, glad they aren't around anymore...

# Can't Hide Love - Earth, Wind & Fire (#39) - oh yeah. THE music for sexy time w/ the ladies...

Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas (#11) - lyrical hilarity

# Crazy on You - Heart (#35) - prime

(Don't Fear) the Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult (#12) - more cowbell!

Evil Woman - Electric Light Orchestra (#10) - ode to my ex.

I Wish - Stevie Wonder (#1) - perfect music right there.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
H8R said:

Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band (#1) - what's not to love about THAT many innuendos in one song?

Baretta's Theme (Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow) - Rhythm Heritage (#20) - I LOVE this theme!

The Boys Are Back in Town - Thin Lizzy (#12) - whew, glad they aren't around anymore...

# Can't Hide Love - Earth, Wind & Fire (#39) - oh yeah. THE music for sexy time w/ the ladies...

AHHHHHHHH! MY PANTS ARE TOO TIGHT!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
H8R said:

Excellent, Smither...EEEEXCELLENT!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
raw power was '73. plenty of great stuff released in that year. roxy music's 1st, bowie had ziggy or man who fell to earth, lou reed's _berlin_? neil young had _time fades away_. pink floyd had _dark side of the moon_. that's just off the top of my head. i am sure there are at least 30 other records from that year which could be considered must owns.

seriously there was a big drought in '76

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
ACDC, High Voltage (released in Australia in '75 but elsewhere in '76) as well as Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. High Voltage has probably their best song imho....."A Long Way to the Top" although that was on the TNT album in Australi...The original clip for that song was the band on the bed of a truck driving through Melbourne in the middle of the day. Bon playing the bagpipes, absolute pearler.