Quantcast

There Will Be Blood [Behemoth, Watain, In Solitude, The Devil's Blood]

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I caught the 2nd to last show of the "There Will Be Blood" tour sponsored by Decibel Magazine, and overall it was pretty fun. In Solitude was pretty average metal with an eye towards NWOBHM, i could leave more than i could take. The Devil's Blood has a good sound; think bands like Jex Thoth or Blood Ceremony...slightly doomy but more rock-ish, w/ a female singer. i got blasted by some flecks of 'blood' at one point from the bass player's hair.

Watain made the whole stage area stink w/ their collection of animal heads and bones...i didn't see any rotting flesh, but the stench was most noticeable and i gagged a few times...luckily they didn't toss out liters of foul, rancid blood when they took the stage. they are definitely cartoonish (think GWAR with no sense of humor), but play capable black metal. fun to photograph too, even under challenging conditions.

Behemoth were super tight and professional. No nonsense, plenty of power. good stage set up too; uncluttered and dramatic lighting. it wouldn't make me an instant fan, but i could see how they got so popular.

photos here:
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/behemoth-watain-the-devils-blood-in-solitude-the-p/#photo-1

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the 6th picture is so fvcking awesome it can't be described...