Quantcast

@#@ THERE@#@

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Another night waking up to painful cramps in my right thigh, Salt tab and Ibuprofen at 12:30 seems to have fixed it. 70^ at 3:30 in the morning so I guess I am not riding in 100 degree heat after work

Espresso then I'm out of here

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Working 2-10 pm from home today. Should pack at some point.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

#flashbackfriday to that time I saw a woman at a brewery whose buttcheeks didn't touch. Never seen such a thing before or since. Wild.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Monsoon rains forecast for everywhere this weekend. So much for heading in to the mountains to camp.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Doing summer activities at Bogus Basin today, as I required activities be outside due to my Dad's lack of shots. Maybe the pool afterwards.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Another night waking up to painful cramps in my right thigh, Salt tab and Ibuprofen at 12:30 seems to have fixed it. 70^ at 3:30 in the morning so I guess I am not riding in 100 degree heat after work

Espresso then I'm out of here
I’m not a doctor and I have zero knowledge of your medical history but this also sounds like it could be a trapped/compressed lower spine nerve thing. You drive a lot right? You’re even older than me (hard to believe :D ) Classic reasons for some. I would try and be sure you are flexing that lower back properly and don’t have a pinchy issue before blaming electrolytes.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I’m not a doctor and I have zero knowledge of your medical history but this also sounds like it could be a trapped/compressed lower spine nerve thing. You drive a lot right? You’re even older than me (hard to believe :D ) Classic reasons for some. I would try and be sure you are flexing that lower back properly and don’t have a pinchy issue before blaming electrolytes.
Over use. I have had shit loads of wheelchair transports lately. It's faster to do high step one legged squats to get up onto the raised lift platform and push the client inside for securement vs walking around to the side climbing in and pulling them in. I just need to remember to switch off legs each time to even the load.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The people at the table next to me are talking about how bizarre these "sand pit, emergency truck run-offs you see all over the Rockies" are. I'm in fucking Idaho. These people are confused by truck run-offs. We had them in CA just going over El Cajon pass, let alone here. Have these people never left Kansas before? Or never left the Eastern plains area of Idaho?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The people at the table next to me are talking about how bizarre these "sand pit, emergency truck run-offs you see all over the Rockies" are. I'm in fucking Idaho. These people are confused by truck run-offs. We had them in CA just going over El Cajon pass, let alone here. Have these people never left Kansas before? Or never left the Eastern plains area of Idaho?
1627654706594.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Wtf is so difficult to understand? We are talking rigs than can be 80K lbs loaded, coming down sustained grades. Is it incomprehensible to think you might have a brake malfunction and not want to send it off the side of a mountain through a local town?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Work! And then a short bike ride to test out this Shimano chain on Sram parts. Found two bent teeth on the Sram cassette last night.

Early morning tomorrow, meeting up with some friends at 7:30am to do a few shuttles of the Niagara Escarpment. Two hour drive for this one, ouch. But its the longest and steepest trail in the entire region, so worth it. Only questionable thing will be how much it has rained this week; the soil is clay up there and turns to a skating rink in the wet.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello IMO. I swam for an hour this morning. Well, an hour in the pool but 47 minutes of actual swimming. Solo MTB planned tomorrow morning, which will be nice after riding the tri bike five times in the past eight days.

Wife is out of town for the second weekend in a row, so it's just me and the three furballs again. New Dog is in daycare today, so she'll spend all day tomorrow recovering. Playing all day knocks her out for two days. It's great.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i did see a dumb ass bury their camry in one when i first moved to colorado....in the age before smart phones were a thing....

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Floated the river with @Montana rider and a few moose yesterday. Completed the three beer minimum!
Judging by the wagging tail and licks Charcoal the lady's man puppy seems to care more for @Heidi than me...

#ImNotBitter

Rained holy buckets yesterday so I hope that helps fire containment.

Meanwhile on the internet water is wet..

#FuckYourFeelings...

“Part of me is annoyed that [locals] even care. Why are they special for just being born here? Because I've lived in so many different places, I don't feel like a Californian. That was just part of my life,” Craigie said. “I think I'm still navigating the best way to handle that conversation.”

The couple had already planned to move from SoMa to Bozeman when the pandemic hit, hoping to take advantage of the city’s proximity to outdoor activities and lower cost of living. While they love the city, they said the transition wasn’t ideal, since it was hard to meet people during the pandemic. They wish they’d bought a house right away, instead of signing a lease to rent. In Bozeman, the median sales price of a home has increased 25%, and just a few months ago, they put an offer on a house, only to be immediately outbid by a cash offer. They have now decided to just wait it out another year.

“There’s a ton of anti-California sentiment in the area, especially from the all-cash buyers coming in...I do feel awful that if I do buy a home I’m taking it from like a teacher or a firefighter and some people can’t afford to live here anymore,” Craigie said. “I feel like I'm contributing to the problem, but I kind of felt that way in San Francisco too.”

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Dancing trans prostitutes.
Melrose Larry.
Junkies pushing rental e-bikes.
What will I see on the 2 minute drive to my coffee shop today? I’ve already seen those things this week, so what more could await?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Judging by the wagging tail and licks Charcoal the lady's man puppy seems to care more for @Heidi than me...

#ImNotBitter

#FuckYourFeelings...

“Part of me is annoyed that [locals] even care. Why are they special for just being born here? Because I've lived in so many different places, I don't feel like a Californian. That was just part of my life,” Craigie said. “I think I'm still navigating the best way to handle that conversation.”

The couple had already planned to move from SoMa to Bozeman when the pandemic hit, hoping to take advantage of the city’s proximity to outdoor activities and lower cost of living. While they love the city, they said the transition wasn’t ideal, since it was hard to meet people during the pandemic. They wish they’d bought a house right away, instead of signing a lease to rent. In Bozeman, the median sales price of a home has increased 25%, and just a few months ago, they put an offer on a house, only to be immediately outbid by a cash offer. They have now decided to just wait it out another year.

“There’s a ton of anti-California sentiment in the area, especially from the all-cash buyers coming in...I do feel awful that if I do buy a home I’m taking it from like a teacher or a firefighter and some people can’t afford to live here anymore,” Craigie said. “I feel like I'm contributing to the problem, but I kind of felt that way in San Francisco too.”
i would not mind following him to his favorite camp site and smearing his tent with peanut butter and honey while he slept...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

#ImNotBitter

#FuckYourFeelings...

Yeah - like a lot of places in the West, I don't think that the problem is the people moving there to become "new locals"... I think the main problem is:

1627665535505.png

If I'm interpreting this correctly, it appears that there are over 300 properties available for STR in the "Greater Bozeman" area...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What with eviction policies (especially in the COVID era), potential damage to the unit, and the pure finances of it/flexibility with some use by the owner it just makes much more sense to do STR, IMO. Going through the 3rd party sites gives a layer of protection.

The true solution is to zone for and then build a bunch of apartments.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What with eviction policies (especially in the COVID era), potential damage to the unit, and the pure finances of it/flexibility with some use by the owner it just makes much more sense to do STR, IMO. Going through the 3rd party sites gives a layer of protection.

1627666685498.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

#ImNotBitter

#FuckYourFeelings...

And yet what do I hear every time someone complains about the cost of living being too high in their area?

"Well maybe you should just move to a place that has a lower cost of living."

So they do. And inevitably, the locals will always bitch and moan. As if the "move to a lower cost of living" thing can't or shouldn't apply to them.

Hate to say it, but being born in an area doesn't make you special or give you some innate right to it.

:stupid:

And this isn't just an issue in trendy areas either. We as a country need relaxed zoning laws to allow more condos/townhomes/apartments.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Eh, I don't know if returning 300 AirBnBs to rentals would even make a dent in the housing shortage.

I always thought we had too many hotel rooms in town but for graduation and other peak tourist events (sports tournaments) and there's even gobs more than there used to be, but they are all full in summer these days.

Rental cars are the same deal re: shortages @ $900/day currently.

I might should craigslist rent the honda to pay for timing belts / head gaskets for all 3 of our fucking subarus -- volume discount? / fuck my life...

We too moved from California (after wifelet finished Masters at UC Davis) but we were poor and worked a few years of local shitty wage jobs to save up for our down payment.

We also tried to get a feel for the local ethos, rather than Californicate Los Bozeangeles.

And to Toshi's point, there may in fact be more to life than /////monetizing your real estate holdings to their highest potential.

I thought I would be renting out my Island Park shitbox by now, but after getting it fixed up in 2022 (hopefully...) I am leaning towards enjoying it myself for the next decade (and learning how to ride bikes again) and reconsider my cash flow needs closer to retirement re: STRs.

Shitty times to be a frugalitarian/hermit/misanthrope in a boom town...

ETA: Of course building more "affordable" rental apartments would help. What's that? MSU and their ilk are building on/off campus housing with /////amenities that Mr. & Mrs. John Q Parents pay are willing to pay exorbitant rates for their precious spawn which only serves to drive up prices across the board.

I'm not suggesting that we close the gate, my brilliant decision to move here 21 years ago notwithstanding, Montana has always hated on out of towners trying to come in and change things to be more like where they came from...

It's not you, it's us ;)

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
And yet what do I hear every time someone complains about the cost of living being too high in their area?

"Well maybe you should just move to a place that has a lower cost of living."

So they do. And inevitably, the locals will always bitch and moan. As if the "move to a lower cost of living" thing can't or shouldn't apply to them.

Hate to say it, but being born in an area doesn't make you special or give you some innate right to it.

:stupid:

And this isn't just an issue in trendy areas either. We as a country need relaxed zoning laws to allow more condos/townhomes/apartments.
You're not wrong... but what I believe a lot of communities are going to realize is that having single-family homes that are dedicated to STR's *is* the problem in the short/medium term. And that is likely what is going to be addressed in the short/medium term. I suspect that more communities are going to implement bans on STR for SFH.

Eh, I don't know if returning 300 AirBnBs to rentals would even make a dent in the housing shortage.
I mean... I get your point, but 300 LTR couldn't *hurt* the housing shortage.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
You're not wrong... but what I believe a lot of communities are going to realize is that having single-family homes that are dedicated to STR's *is* the problem in the short/medium term. And that is likely what is going to be addressed in the short/medium term. I suspect that more communities are going to implement bans on STR for SFH.

A certain demographic of people with mountain houses they STR most of the year are gonna be so upset with you for saying that.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
But quite a few of those STR owners are new to BZN buyers (i.e. they didn't buy in cheap enough that LTRs pencil out... so they're "stuck")

The town made some noise 3 years or so ago about cracking down on STRs (i.e. requiring owners to live on site) and folks were ready to riot based on sternly worded letters to the editor re: freedom.

Same thing down in Island Park, West Yellowstone has literally NO LTRs either and they've outlawed STRs "in town" which makes gateway towns like IP the next stop on the capitalism crushing the soul of small town 'Merika (fuck yeah) tour.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
But quite a few of those STR owners are new to BZN buyers (i.e. they didn't buy in cheap enough that LTRs pencil out... so they're "stuck")
Seems like implementing a STR ban on these properties would, perhaps, burst the bubble in the immediate area?

I mean, one of the risks of investing in property for investment's sake is political risk - that the community in which you've invested decides your type of investment is no longer kosher.

I suppose in Montana, however, the freedumb-hollering will prevent any sort of common-sense policy being considered, eh?