Quantcast

these aren't the droids you're looking for

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
not a hard plastic, but the blister film becomes more rigid after its formed. We are trying some experimental stuff with the sterilization process, and thats where things went awry.
Those impossible to open blister packs are your work:rant:

Amazon has the new frustration free packaging for some of their products now.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Amazon has the new frustration free packaging for some of their products now.
my customer drop ships for Amazon and i saw their Amazon shipping line.

the blister packages are a lot nicer than previous, but the GIANT envelopes that they come in make up for the stupid packaging.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
can the Iphone or the Droid handle more than 1 email account at a time? my WiMo fone can do 3, and i need them all....
If they can't natively, I am sure they can with a third party app but it won't be as integrated like a Blackberry.

RIM does 10 BIS + 1 BES account (Exchange or Domino or Groupwise) plus you can access intranet resources securely without a VPN connection requirement.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If they can't natively, I am sure they can with a third party app but it won't be as integrated like a Blackberry.
my HTC Fuze integrates it within the WiMo interface. its huge convenience for me b/w my business email and two main personal email accounts

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
can the Iphone or the Droid handle more than 1 email account at a time? my WiMo fone can do 3, and i need them all....
Yes, they both can.

My iPhone handles as many as I want (I've had up to 6), and they stated in one of the product videos that the Droid can.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The product video said the Droid had an integrated email view which is kinda cool - doubt I'd use it much but a cool option. The iPhone account list looks like this - hit email and you get:

When you start a new message, you select the account you want it sent from (it'll default to whatever account you're viewing the mail of). Exchange, IMAP, POP, whatever. Same with calendars, except there is an integrated calendar view to show all calendars together (it uses colored dots to mark which event is tied to which calendar).

Check out the various Gizmodo videos linked in this thread for Droid's setup.

bwolmarans

Monkey
Aug 23, 2006
The Angels, Kalifornia
I could do without the keyboard, the on screen keyboards are fine.

It needs a killer app to beat the iphone. It doesn't look like it really offers any big advantage, and is thicker and goofy looking.

Teenage girls won't buy it, basically.

EDIT: And that limits how many people will buy it, and that matters big-time for developers of Android apps, which is what matters to me.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
thats a fail on so many levels. hopefully the apps arent 128mb each
Supposedly that's just executable code and the app can still store things like graphics and maps and stuff on the SD card, but that seems like an appalling oversight. Actually, it's not an oversight since it was noted a problem with the G1 too, this is just deliberately ignoring the need. There are hacks to put apps on the SD card, but it seems ridiculous to have to use a kludgy hack on your phone just to get some reasonable storage space.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure google is already pushing for an Apps to SD solution for the Android OS that they can ship installed on the phone. There is a google group searching for developers. There is a link in the 2nd article posted above. I guess people are rooting the phone now to get around this 256 issue.

The motivation behind this phone was to do all of the things iphone and the like dont. I would think Google would tackle this issue quickly to avoid a flop. Had it been developed by Microsoft I probably would agree that none of this would ever happen. Which has me thinking if Verizon has had anything to do with the app size, since they like to have their say in just about everything.

I went to the store yesterday to give the Droid a test drive. I must say i didnt walk away from it as happy as I thought i would be. While the OS is very intuitive i thought the ergonomics of the phone were a bit weird. I found the physical keyboard harder to use than the virtual one. One of the main reasons I wanted the phone was the physical keyboard. I pretty much never used it when i was playing around with it. The 5 mp camera was the other reason i was so interested, but it seemed pretty lame. Yes i know its a camera phone but again weird to operate and the pictures didnt look so crisp. Maybe they would look better once you get them on the computer. Of course verizon didnt have any music loaded on the droid so i couldnt play with the mp3 player very much but it looks very easy. All i really care about is the playlist feature and the controls. Youtube was very quick on the phone It took about 20 seconds to load the 90 second Mw2 trailer. It sounded and looked good too. At the end of the day though i think i might wait a little longer. Maybe long enough for the blackberry essex to come out or until my current BB drives me nuts which ever comes first. Just my .02.

http://www.salomondrin.net/2009/10/03/blackberry-essex-spotted/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive always wondered what size the apps are for the Iphone. i would never really use it for the Ipod feature since i have two huge Classic Ipods, so im guessing the smaller capacity Iphone would be more than enough for the apps right?

i just cant get past the part of not having a keyboard tho

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
ive always wondered what size the apps are for the Iphone. i would never really use it for the Ipod feature since i have two huge Classic Ipods, so im guessing the smaller capacity Iphone would be more than enough for the apps right?

i just cant get past the part of not having a keyboard tho
I have ~2gb of apps and have some pretty substantial apps on there. I'd say the 8gb model is more than enough if all you want is to store applications.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have ~2gb of apps and have some pretty substantial apps on there. I'd say the 8gb model is more than enough if all you want is to store applications.
thats what i was thinking. i dont need anything more than that, but the 8gb isnt the new Iphone version. theres only a 16 and 32gb 3Gs model

Last edited:
So, this completely ruins the phone for me:

http://androidandme.com/2009/10/news/google-fails-to-address-app-storage-issue-with-droid-and-android-2-0/

http://9to5mac.com/android-rom-install-256-droid

Goodbye, any chance of my considering a Droid. What were they possibly thinking? I know the G1 has this limitation, but I didn't seriously believe that a next-generation, hyped-up smartphone would actually be limited to 256mb of apps.
Good thing I'm not a gamer.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Good thing I'm not a gamer.
Meh, if a third party maps application is better than the Google maps and you want it, that would be bigger than 256mb. Any kind of good reference application (dictionary, encyclopedia, reference guides) will be bigger than 256mb. I have a birds identification app that's a few hundred megs because it has photos and illustrations and song recordings.

There are lots of applications besides games that could have large storage requirements. Even several applications with medium storage requirements would fill it. There are/will be hacks for it, it just seems like a truly bizarre design choice to give a device a giant amount of storage capacity but limit what you can use that storage capacity for.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
youd think a simple firmware update would solve this to you can store the apps on the MicroSD card, but it wasnt mentioned in the upcoming update.

even if you dont use many apps, 256mb is pretty stupid....especially if they are trying to compete with the Iphone which can use all of its onboard storage for apps

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Interestingly, though, this was an issue with the first release of Android and they went through an entire major version release cycle over the course of, what, a year and a half since the G1 came out (?), with no fix to it.

Meh, if a third party maps application is better than the Google maps and you want it, that would be bigger than 256mb. Any kind of good reference application (dictionary, encyclopedia, reference guides) will be bigger than 256mb. I have a birds identification app that's a few hundred megs because it has photos and illustrations and song recordings.
When I find an app that big that I want I'll complain then. :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
When I find an app that big that I want I'll complain then. :)
Yes, its not typically a problem even for a power user and the Android community is well aware of it but its not a high priority in their list of things to implement. If you are one of those few power users, there are various workarounds until they sort out the issues (security/stability) of using removable storage - one from teh google:

http://code.google.com/p/android-roms/wiki/A2SD

This is not a deal killer in the real world.

Yeah, I have 115 apps installed and I've still got 162mb of space left. That being said, I'm sure I will run into problems eventually.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
This is not a deal killer in the real world.
third party maps application...Any kind of good reference application (dictionary, encyclopedia, reference guides)...games...
You're right. None of these are "real-world" applications.

You can have a "power user" who downloads 115 widgets that are all tiny, or a "power user" (or even, gasp, a "regular user") who simply wants one sizable reference guide. Or, just someone who plays some games; the phone has a powerful processor and graphics chip. Or someone who might not like the caching Google Maps TBT and wants a TomTom application.

Maybe these apps will be smartly designed to use only executable code on the linux partition and write everything else to the Fat32 partition. But flash memory is cheap and it would have been only a marginal cost to throw a gig or two in there to at least mitigate this problem. It's up to the app designers now.

edit: to clarify, I'm not saying this will affect all or even most users. I'm saying it's a fairly blatant problem that will have a strong effect on some users and could have been remedied easily, without necessitating taking root on your device and performing a hack that will only extend your installable space by ~500mb or so (at least, that's what the hack says that was linked to).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its not at the top of their priority right now but its already been implemented third party for SD app storage (class 6 SDHC is probably faster than the internal flash too). These devices have Internet access so third party maps and reference are still available without dedicated applications. Google is all about cloud computing which is another reason they aren't moving too quickly.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You're right. None of these are "real-world" applications.

You can have a "power user" who downloads 115 widgets that are all tiny, or a "power user" (or even, gasp, a "regular user") who simply wants one sizable reference guide. Or, just someone who plays some games; the phone has a powerful processor and graphics chip. Or someone who might not like the caching Google Maps TBT and wants a TomTom application.
Or an amateur ornithologist with a poor memory ;)

BV = bird nerd :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Or an amateur ornithologist with a poor memory ;)

BV = bird nerd :D
:disgust1:

It's true. I blame my dad. He's far more of a bird nerd than I am. But the app was too much to resist - it has drawings, photos, behavior patterns and recorded songs of all the species in North America, and is searchable by a couple dozen different identifiable traits.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:disgust1:

It's true. I blame my dad. He's far more of a bird nerd than I am. But the app was too much to resist - it has drawings, photos, behavior patterns and recorded songs of all the species in North America, and is searchable by a couple dozen different identifiable traits.
That's cool and all, but I just like saying "bird nerd" because it rhymes. :thumb:

Or just use the Internet, there are plenty of high quality free references out there, especially for birders.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org
but! but! you might go over your monthly data allowance! unlimited != unlimited! :rant::think:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Or just use the Internet, there are plenty of high quality free references out there, especially for birders.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org
I don't think you understand that online resources are not an exact match for local apps.

Even at 3G speeds, loading isn't even beginning to approach the loading speed for a local app. Not to mention, the app I've got has a ton more searchable parameters than any free resource I've ever found.

Frankly, until we have 100% wireless coverage over the majority of the country, I still like local apps. Cloud computing is great if you have a reliable internet connection and while my connection is great in Raleigh, even Verizon's superior coverage isn't there yet in some buildings/areas/remote locations.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The bird app has the same resources for free searchable the same ways - http://identify.whatbird.com/mwg/_/0/attrs.aspx

If its an especially large database (not a small number of birds), having the server do the heavy lifting is ideal...

They also have cloud computing video game models just on the horizon just like this. They'll have better graphics than a smartphone can do locally.

Last edited: