Quantcast

these aren't the droids you're looking for

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm aware of the various workarounds. JnJ has a very, very strict IT security setup. We can't use thumb drives that don't have the right encryption.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Interesting chart comparison:

points of differentiation:

1) battery life - droid takes talk time, iPhone takes standby. I consider this to be a draw

2) camera: 5 vs 3, also droid has a flash. Not much of a difference, but from what I've heard the software running the droid's camera is a little laggy

3) Multi-tasking: Droid ftw. Yes, you can get an iPhone to multi-task, but it is not a out-of the box feature; jailbreaking is the only way to enable (not something the typical iPhone user can do or wants to do)

4) Apps: yes, Apple wins this one. Or do they? More isn't necessarily better... I wonder just how many of these apps are useful, or are just ports of solitare and bejeweled?
so i dont really see a advantage over the Iphone.
The big question is do people really pay $1400/yr for their smart phones? :confused: :crazy:
yeah, i pay $1560 a year for my service but thankfully work covers my entire phone bill

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so i dont really see a advantage over the Iphone.
What's worth pointing out here, is that the iPhone is in its 3rd generation, while the droid is first generation. It's taken apple ~3 years to get their phone to the spec/feature level at which the droid is launching.

Yes, Apple had a 3 year head start, and Moto/Goog/Verz had the advantage of seeing what the competition was. The droid has *really* solid hardware. The software is what's holding it back. That isn't really a concern for me, as I have quite a good feeling that Google will be releasing updates more frequently than apple.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yes, Apple had a 3 year head start, and Moto/Goog/Verz had the advantage of seeing what the competition was.
when you stand back and watch the most succesful phone dominate the market for 3 years, then its pretty easy to put all those features in your phone.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
when you stand back and watch the most succesful phone dominate the market for 3 years, then its pretty easy to put all those features in your phone.
iPhone still doesn't dominate the market. They have the fastest growth for any device or brand in the market (smartphones), but they are still not #1.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What's worth pointing out here, is that the iPhone is in its 3rd generation, while the droid is first generation. It's taken apple ~3 years to get their phone to the spec/feature level at which the droid is launching.
This makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, this is 2.0 of Android, which has been on the market for a while now, so by definition it's not the first generation. Second of all, they're using current-generation hardware. Do you think if Apple launched the iPhone this year, that they'd have used the hardware in the original iPhone?

Your comment is akin to saying that a new release from a laptop manufacturer has a 2.4 ghz quad core in it and a SSD drive, while some other manufacturer has taken 3 generations to get there. Technology marches forward, Apple was working with the market and the technology and the batteries available 3 years ago. The market wasn't as large so they had to moderate their investment, and the chipsets have gotten smaller and less battery hungry.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, I meant in terms of hardware on Moto's part, as the OS they are running was developed by Google. Sorry if I didn't clarify that. I'm pretty sure that the Droid is the first device to utilize Android 2.0. (also, from what I've heard 2.0 is the first version of the OS that's really ready for general consumers).

Also, didn't Apple start using a different/newer processer when they released the 3Gs this summer?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
From what I hear the next gen iPhone isn't too far away. Will be pretty nutty in terms of features, visually stunning and Apple plans on making ****-tons of them. I'm not allowed to say anymore;)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also, didn't Apple start using a different/newer processer when they released the 3Gs this summer?
Exactly my point. You're saying that it's either promising on Moto's part or deficient on Apple's part that the current hardware spec is where it is (i.e. it's taken them 3 years to get there).

They use what is currently available at a particular price point when the product is launched. The 3GS uses a new, far more powerful processor than the 3G- it's the same processor that the Droid is launching with. It's not because the processor was available/practical 3 years ago and Apple ignored it, thus making it some kind of nefarious scheme or lack of foresight (or some kind of great genius insight by Moto). It's because that's the best combination of processing power/battery consumption/price point right now.

Why is it worthy of note that they're using a current generation processor (that is already in use by two other smartphones on the market)?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well I was expecting Apple to have hired Doc Brown to get a processor from the future.

Looks like I made a sh*tty comparison, its the end of the internet.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Looks like I made a sh*tty comparison, its the end of the internet.
I'm afraid the punishment for such an offense is a permanent banning. Good luck in life.

:monkeydance:

The Droid looks like it could be very good. But the market will remain competitive and I don't think it's going to out-race the iPhone any time soon. Apps are still the killer right now and there are a lot of very exception apps for the iPhone - it's had longer in development and has been a more profitable platform, so it's attracted more focused development.

I sincerely hope Android does well. I like the idea of my phone being open-source without the restrictions that Apple has on what you can and cannot modify or control with apps.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well I was expecting Apple to have hired Doc Brown to get a processor from the future.
It has happened before though. It took Apple 3 years, until the 5.5G iPod to replicate the features the Rio Karma had on release. The Karma chipset's IP was sold to the chipset maker that Apple and other makers used, so it was no problem for them to "innovate".

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
let's have a poll.

i use a dumb phone. maybe i shouldn't vote.
I got laughed at last weekend because my phone is just a phone. It got worse when I admitted to having vee brakes, a manual transmission, prefer an ax to a chainsaw and have a vacuum tube amplifier. I'm a proud Luddite.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Nobody here has one yet so what does it matter. I don't remember anyone posting on RM about their Android platform device ever.
98 posts though....there must be some sort of opinion about said product...

I got laughed at last weekend because my phone is just a phone. It got worse when I admitted to having vee brakes, a manual transmission, prefer an ax to a chainsaw and have a vacuum tube amplifier. I'm a proud Luddite.
I tell ya, one day I will wake up to find that MBC has replaced my Motorola Razr with some sort of newfangled PDA with all sorts of bells and whistles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
A useless one at best, it has not been released to the general public. eTesting is not useful.
t-minus 17.5 hours and counting sucka!

I think one of the reasons there's so much pre-release interest for this phone (marketing campaign aside), is that this seems (on paper and first hands-on impressions at least) to be the first device to come along to be a solid, good, direct competitor with the iPhone.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I think one of the reasons there's so much pre-release interest for this phone (marketing campaign aside), is that this seems (on paper and first hands-on impressions at least) to be the first device to come along to be a solid, good, direct competitor with the iPhone.
No argument with that, but it doesn't need superfluous Apple-like hype.

As usual, some stores don't pay attention - its out:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/05/motorola-droid-goes-on-sale-a-little-early-at-best-buy-mobile/

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what were they suppose to do? use the same processor theyve been using from the get go? new models have new hardware.
the Droid has near identical processor to the Iphone, but yet the Iphone came out months earlier.
bam

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what were they suppose to do? use the same processor theyve been using from the get go? new models have new hardware.
the Droid has near identical processor to the Iphone, but yet the Iphone came out months earlier.
bam
from what I've seen they are using the same chip. the droid is actually clocked 50hz slower from what i've read.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its nice that Google and Motorola aren't pricing fixing like Apple. That should be illegal.

iDon't use over hyped non-sense marketing. iDon't price fix.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
and its not just on the internet!
Its ok, I just figured out my eSATA port wasn't broke, it just needed drivers but didn't show up as missing a driver in the device manager so I figured it was plug and play. That or I thought my POS enclosure might have been hosed.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its ok, I just figured out my eSATA port wasn't broke, it just needed drivers but didn't show up as missing a driver in the device manager so I figured it was plug and play. That or I thought my POS enclosure might have been hosed.
I didn't notice a bunch of sample packages were cracked until we were about ready to send them in for analytical testing. oops.