Quantcast

these aren't the droids you're looking for

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
BV, have you ever heard of something called the "National Audubon Society"? I hear they make some books that would be right up your alley

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BV, have you ever heard of something called the "National Audubon Society"? I hear they make some books that would be right up your alley
Oh, I have bird books.

People look at you funny when you walk around with a large book and a tape recorder of bird calls stuck down the front of your pants, though.

Especially when your crotch starts chirping.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Oh, I have bird books.

People look at you funny when you walk around with a large book and a tape recorder of bird calls stuck down the front of your pants, though.

Especially when your crotch starts chirping.
and with the app, you can keep your inner geek private...great idea! ;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ATT owned:

Engadget said:
AppleInsider published a piece this week that does a good job rounding up the latest counterarguments we've been hearing against Verizon's claims in its suddenly ultra-aggressive attacks on archrival AT&T's network -- attacks that have offended AT&T right into getting the legal team involved. Both sides are applying enough spin to make you dizzy at this point, so let's break down the latest round of pot shots, shall we?

* Verbiage on Verizon's site suggests that swaths of its 3G network are still running at EV-DO Rev. 0 speed: false. In fact, 100 percent of Verizon's 3G coverage has been Rev. A since 2007 -- the wording refers to 1xRTT, which is the transport technology in use where EV-DO hasn't been deployed.
* You can't distinguish between EV-DO and 1xRTT on Verizon's coverage map: false. Turns out Verizon has one of the more comprehensive coverage browsers among top-tier carriers. The technologies aren't called out by name, but they're there -- they list compatible features in different coverage zones, ostensibly to reduce customer confusion since your average Joe (not to be confused with our own Joe Flatley) doesn't know or care what "1xRTT" means.
* EDGE approaches the "low end" of EV-DO Rev. A: false. At the top end of the specification, EDGE can theoretically approach 500kbps in a cleanroom environment -- but in reality, it's runs at a fraction of that and suffers more severe latency issues in practice (which is sometimes a greater detriment to a mobile web browsing experience than raw speed) than UMTS and EV-DO. Heck, AT&T itself claims 75-135kbps. Meanwhile, we got 823kbps on the downlink in real-world modem use on Verizon's Rev. A.
* AT&T's 3.6Mbps and 7.2Mbps deployments are significantly faster than EV-DO Rev. A: true, but only in theory. We're getting downlink speeds ranging from the low 100s -- yes, 100s -- to the high 800s in Chicago and New York; Chicago's got a trial 7.2Mbps network that's live, but even if we're not connected to it (hard to say), we should still be on 3.6. We seriously have no idea what AT&T's doing behind the scenes with these rollouts, but in urban areas, at least, they're not helping. At all. And that's assuming we can help ourselves from dropping down to EDGE.
* AT&T's service is augmented by the nation's largest WiFi network: we won't even justify that with a rebuttal.
* Verizon's gaming the system by comparing only their 3G networks: the truth hurts, AT&T. Verizon's commercials would have you believe that by comparing only 3G coverage, Verizon wins by a country mile. And guess what? They do. To AT&T's credit, the 3GPP's WCDMA technology path is considerably more advanced and extensible than EV-DO Rev. A is, but beyond UMTS's simultaneous voice / data capability, the end user's experience is pretty similar in day-to-day use. We go where the faster real-world speeds (and the reliable calls) are.
* Verizon is "defending steep losses" with its anti-AT&T, anti-iPhone commercials: false. Verizon added 1.2 million net customers in the most recently reported quarter, excluding acquisitions.
* LTE is "still years away from viable use" on Verizon: false. They'll have 20-30 markets commercially live in 2010, which is 20-30 more than AT&T will have. It's not nationwide coverage by a long shot, but it gives the carrier a notable lead in the 4G transition since AT&T has sparsely detailed its LTE plans and isn't expected to go live with any markets until 2011 at the earliest.

To be fair, Verizon's taking a questionable angle in its advertising by trying to associate 3G coverage with call reliability -- in AT&T's case, the two are totally, completely unrelated -- but the fact remains that for a bunch of New York, Chicago, and San Francisco-based Engadget editors, Verizon bests AT&T in both categories, and we're having a hard time arguing with personal experience.

So listen, AT&T, we're sorry Verizon made you upset, but the solution's actually pretty simple: compete. Fix your network, keep scoring hot exclusives, and get hungry again -- because in a year or two, no one's going to give a damn that you used to have an exclusive on the iPhone.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I agree.

Tried to play with one at Best Buy this past weekend. The model they had on the floor was non-functional and looked like it had been abused so I won't hold the creaky build against it. Nice form factor but they keyboard didn't have that pleasant tactile feeling that the G1 had (I could type like a fiend on the G1's keyboard). Again, might have been the abused floor model though.

I wasn't about to wait in line for a moron there to hand me a demo phone and hover over my shoulder. Wish they had a functional floor model.

Oh, and BTW... why did they take away my scroll wheel?? I loved having the front panel scroll wheel on the G1 :rant:. I really just wanted an updated G1 in a lower-profile form factor.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think the possibility of customizable gesture controls has a ton of potential. I'm sure someone might even figure out a software solution for a scroll wheel. I know its not what you want, but unless you're handy with a soldering iron you're SOL

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Not really interested in a software scroll wheel. The software cursor locating works adequately. I just really liked the ergonomics of scrolling or moving the cursor with the ball.

More than anything, my disappointment stems from the fact that the G1 was so close to what I'd consider to be an ideal device in terms of ergonomics, with just a couple improvements, and instead they substantially departed from its form factor. Remodeled a good keyboard, removed a good scroll wheel, took away the couple useful hard buttons.

Still a sweet device and I have no fewer ergonomic beefs with the iPhone. Both devices come really close on my personal preferences. Just a personal thing, though, I have no reasonable expectation that the rest of the world shares my preferences. But they would, if they knew what was good for them :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
AT&T got BURNED:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/16/verizon-responds-to-atandts-map-for-that-lawsuit-the-truth-hurt/

AT&T did not file this lawsuit because Verizon's "There's A Map For That" advertisements are untrue; AT&T sued because Verizon's ads are true and the truth hurts.

In the final analysis, AT&T seeks emergency relief because Verizon's side-by-side, apples-to-apples comparison of its own 3G coverage with AT&T's confirms what the marketplace has been saying for months: AT&T failed to invest adequately in the necessary infrastructure to expand its 3G coverage to support its growth in smartphone business, and the usefulness of its service to smartphone users has suffered accordingly.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ATT's map response campaign is even lamer, they show the map for all their coverage, not just 3G. 3G is key with smartphones and other connected media phones.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

yup. they are referring to it as a tablet phone.
what they neglect to mention is its a mini-hdmi.
What is throwing me off the most is the screen size. Why wouldn't you want a larger screen?

Maybe its just me, but based on the info available about this device there seems to be too much overlap between the 2 devices, which may lead to them cannibalizing each other.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Google is not very big yet but Apple is still totally own3d by RIM in the US (Apple's biggest market) :

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Imagine that. A company making 7 current models of phones (not including minor model levels) and enterprise integration software, that has been selling phones for over a decade, is a stronger competitor than a company making one model that was first released two years ago.

I'm shocked, I tell ya'. SHOCKED. :shocked:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Its not just a larger share in the US, its the whole world and they are still growing faster than Apple too. Forbes ranked RIM as the fastest growing company in the world, Apple was ranked about 40 on the same list. Apple's iPhone hype is inflated BS - the numbers clearly demonstrate this.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
One thing I read the other day, the Android app store has hit the 20,000 apps mark.

What's more noteworthy, is that just over 60% of them are FREE apps. Where as in Apple's app store, only about 25% of the apps are free.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Google was honesty and said that fan site was off by a bit I think its around 17K. This is a refreshing contrast to Apple who dishonestly inflates their numbers by counting each app and its variations like travel guides for each location from the same app, sports trackers for each team from the same app, etc. It should only be counted once as the application does not change only the content loaded by the same app.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Google was honesty and said that fan site was off by a bit I think its around 17K. This is a refreshing contrast to Apple who dishonestly inflates their numbers by counting each app and its variations like travel guides for each location from the same app, sports trackers for each team from the same app, etc. It should only be counted once as the application does not change only the content loaded by the same app.
Still, its grown substantially since the droid was launched. I think what's more noteworthy is the % free vs % pay.

Don't forget - Apple counts all 10,000 or so of the e-books towards their app total!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
to resurrect this thread, re: death of standalone (paid) gps.

The casualties have started:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/12/vodafones-wayfinder-is-first-victim-of-free-smartphone-navigati/

Back in January 2009, as Vodafone was preparing to close a £20 million ($30 million) deal to buy Swedish mapmaker Wayfinder, it was seen as a bold move from a carrier intent on entering the apparently lucrative market for location based services. Fast forward to the present day -- past the bit where free Google Maps Navigation destroyed TomTom and Garmin share prices, and past the introduction of free turn-by-turn navigation to Nokia's Ovi Maps -- and you'll find Wayfinder gently sobbing into a handkerchief as it permanently closes up its doors. Vodafone's Anna Cloke gives us the reason for it with devastating concision:
"We could not charge for something that others gave away for free."
So there we have it, the paid navigation services deathwatch has its first fatality, and it's the unfortunate nature of the beast that plenty of others will be following suit, unable to resist the destructive effects of the free and ubiquitous services now on offer.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Was going to post in here this morning, Droid is down to $99 for me but, I tether my blackberry at home for internet, supposedly there is a app that I can download that will allow me to do this with the droid.

Do I take the chance?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There are multiple tethering apps that you can use with Android, or you can download/flash a custom ROM if you're feeling adventurous that will support it natively.

My iPhone has PDAnet on it which works great. PDAnet is made for Android as well, so that's definitely a viable option.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
There are multiple tethering apps that you can use with Android, or you can download/flash a custom ROM if you're feeling adventurous that will support it natively.

My iPhone has PDAnet on it which works great. PDAnet is made for Android as well, so that's definitely a viable option.
Did you buy the PDAnet version?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Did you buy the PDAnet version?
Yes. I was doing field server support so remote access to customer servers paid for itself dozens of times over.

I think the free version supports all HTTP access so if that's all you want to use it for, you don't need to buy anything. There are a multitude of applications that provide tethering, though, some may be cheaper than PDAnet.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Well I down loaded the free version, not much I want to buy on the net that I can't order when I get to work.

So my Droid will be here tomorrow, $160 with the car charger and window mount.

My plan is $20 less a month so if it works well, it pays for it self by the end of the year.

Plus watching youtube at work is a big plus.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
So tethering is up and running, phone seems cool a little touchy when writing things, I have sent a few messages half way through typing something.

I am going to give it a month or two for full approval.