Quantcast

These look decent?

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
It'd help if you throw up some specs vs just pretty pictures. But generally Missions are really nice. The Pioneer is unfamiliar territory for me. I personally like Yamies, NADs, Denon (if you're REALLY feeling rich), and Nachs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Are you going with that mini speaker system because you can't bear to have any bigger speakers than that in your living room?

Just because basic physics dictates that the specs on those speakers are going to suck - and looking at them, it's true. They start at 120hz. If you look at some physically larger speakers, even inexpensive ones will absolutely wipe the floor with those.

That said, if you're just using it for a substitute for your TV speakers, they won't be so bad. They just won't have the punch and the realism that another set might have - and you'll get sick of listening to music out of them pretty quickly.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Well, what I'm after is really a do it all kind of system. I know, no such thing...

Here are the specs for these little Missions:http://www.mission.co.uk/index1.htm

I heard them in the store watching a scene from Ice Age where the glacier collapses. Big sound. Didn't listen to any music. I was told that Mission speakers would be better for music than Denons.

Here are the specs for the Pioneer receiver:
516http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/pioneer-VSX-516p1.php

The Pioneer receiver and the Mission speakers together: 655$CAN
I could upgrade to the Pioneer 1015 for $1000CAN taxes included...

Thing is, I can get a full Denon home theatre receiver and speakers (6 satellites plus centre!) for a little more than the Pioneer plus Mission package (about 30 bucks more)

Here is the Denon setup I was looking at:
http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/2856.asp

I could get this for 688$CAN

I don't want huge speakers, yet.

There's the info. Living in an apt. for now, I don't want a giant system. The sub alone from either of these systems will likely disturb some dinners in the resto downstairs...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That Denon system doesn't list a single spec for the speakers :think:

Just go audition some packages. Really, that's all that matters - you sit down and listen to them and if you like them, buy them. Specs are great but nothing beats an in-person listening session.

If you're ready to plunk down the better part of a thousand dollars, get a sales associate to set some stuff up for you. Tell him you want these speakers with this receiver and and you want to hear a scene from a movie. Bring a CD that you're familliar with and give it a quick listen.

If they won't let you audition the package, find another store. A good store will let you listen before you buy.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is true. I think maybe I'll just wait til I decide to spend money on something else. I'd really prefer cool wood looking speakers anyway... This stuff only gets cheaper anyway...

Thanks for the advice though.