Quantcast

THICK gripzzz.. who makes em?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
i had these on my DJ and have never had so much love for a pair of grips (other than the sh!tty grub screw clamp system), from what i understand, these are discontinued..

can anyone recommend some thicker grips like this with a soft rubber compound? (not interested in thick grips with a hard compound) id really like some thicker grips for the DH bike i am currently building.. the sunlines really helped with hand/arm pump, not sure why thick grips arent more popular. they were like pillows for my hands. :D

thx in advance
B

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
can anyone recommend some thicker grips like this with a soft rubber compound? (not interested in thick grips with a hard compound)
Not quite sure what "soft rubber compound" you're looking for but I only use the larger grips on all of my bikes since I've got fairly large hands. I've got the ODI Rogues on my DH bike, Specialized Enduro XL's on my full suspension bike, and Raceface Strafes on my hardtail. All of those are the larger sized grips.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
boy- ive felt those on numerous other bikes and do not like them, they started hurting my hands pretty damn quick. IIRC they start out as a hard compound and then get softer as you ride them.. id like a grip thats ready to go.

kid-do you know the diameter of them? i googled but no luck. i havent had a mushroom style grip since the bmx days.. maybe its time to go back! 13 bux is also a damn fine deal for some lock ons.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
kid-do you know the diameter of them? i googled but no luck. i havent had a mushroom style grip since the bmx days.. maybe its time to go back! 13 bux is also a damn fine deal for some lock ons.
They're the biggest grip I've ever had on a bike. I can measure when I get home.

Yeah I was going to offer to give them to you if you're ever up here but with as cheap as they are, they're a pretty easy decision.

I'll get back to you.

boylagz

Monkey
Jul 12, 2011
SF bay area
Dem Free Agents damn similar to what Im running now, Sensus'. By far my favorite. Kinda on the skinny side but the wave pattern I really like. Good amount of grip, like the feel and control I have using em. With or without mits on theyre awesome.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
Not quite sure what "soft rubber compound" you're looking for but I only use the larger grips on all of my bikes since I've got fairly large hands. I've got the ODI Rogues on my DH bike, Specialized Enduro XL's on my full suspension bike, and Raceface Strafes on my hardtail. All of those are the larger sized grips.
its hard to explain what the sunline thicks were like, because simply put, ive never felt a grip like this before. and i want moar

due to the soft compound and thickness if you squeeze hard enough while riding your hands can shift around a little bit without actually physically moving your hand. i saw a thread here earlier (dated late 08 or 09 i believe) that someone brings this up and said they didnt like the sunline grips b/c of that.

i have never felt a grip that acutally disperses & dampens small vibrations until i tried the sunlines. im now hooked on thick grips

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
I'll get back to you.
no worries, you dont gotta measure them. ill take your word for it. :D
Dem Free Agents damn similar to what Im running now, Sensus'. By far my favorite. Kinda on the skinny side but the wave pattern I really like. Good amount of grip, like the feel and control I have using em. With or without mits on theyre awesome.
ive always wanted to try those as well. maybe when i come down from my 'i want thick grips' phase

edit:
thanks for the suggestions everyone else too!

as for the oury grips, ive also tried those and dont like them. they start off somewhat hard and then get soft. they also make a mess all over my hands.. (i dont ride with gloves sometimes) =/

i wish i wasnt so picky..

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
havent seen those northshore ones.. ill look into them!

kid, how far 'up' are you? im in sacramento (probably not far enough)

edit:
thx again, apprecaite you guys helping me out with what rubber you prefer :D

Last edited:

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
image.jpg
superstar component have the biggest and longest i've seen so far.
There about the same softness as the rogue
I use them on 3 bikes

Last edited:

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
I remember seeing a video with some pro (might have been kyle strait) talking about a new grip that he had helped design specifically for people with man hands. I'm sure someone on here remembers what I'm talking about.