Quantcast

Thick winter gloves and forearm pump

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Yesterday, when riding I got the worst forearm pump that I've had all season. I haven't had forearm pump all season. It was so bad I had to stop a couple times every mile or so. I thought it was my brake levers being too far out, but they have been adjusted that way for a few weeks and I've done some 20+ minutes DH runs. The only other thing I can figure is I was wearing thick winter gloves.

Anyone else have this problem riding in cold weather with thick gloves?

Any suggestions on gloves that are warm but thin in the palm?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have these. i know you're in the US, but MEC's stuff is usually a knock-off from another company, so if you look around I'm pretty sure you'll find something. I think Pearl Izumi, DaKine, Sugoi, and I'm pretty sure Fox make similar gloves. I usually don't use those unless it's below freezing and they work fine down to about 19°F for biking.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Check out the DaKine White Knuckle glove. It's what I use for cold weather riding. Windproof and insulated on the back of the hand but a nice thin palm. Can't believe the cold is here already. 25 in Park City last night!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ Thanks for the tip on those Thors. I'm always looking for single layer gloves for bike and moto. double layer and palm padding suck!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Ironclad winter work gloves work for me until about 20* (wind/water proof, thin palm).
Your local lumberyard probably has them. Cheap too.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Wear a thin polypro glove liner under any gloves, helps immensely. Keeps the overall bulk down....

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Have you thought about putting on a smaller grip too? It makes sense. If a large grip and thin gloves causes pump, then you get a smaller grip.

ustemuf

Monkey
Apr 8, 2010
Bay Area
Last edited:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Go check out a snowboard shop and look at the half pipe gloves.
Ton of styles.
All I use in the winter are snowboard gloves. And I live in Utah.
VM

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Those are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton.

How are they for size compared to other gloves?
I wear a medium in regular gloves and these are a medium too. The felt a little big when I first got them so I put them thru the washer and dryer to shrink them a bit and they fit good now.