Quantcast

things @kidwoo likes thread

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Meh. Honestly, of all things to skewer Tesla and Tesla owners about the stainless panels are pretty harmless.

301 SS, which is what is used on that abomination, is higher strength and slightly less corrosion resistant than 304 SS. I have quite a bit of both grades in various pieces of equipment. The 301 does “stain” faster and doesn’t clean up quite as nice as the 304, but it’s not like it crumbles to dusty rust flakes if you don’t hose it down in alcohol once a day.

Perhaps the expectation that a SS car will stay shiny and blemish free without any care or maintenance is what people should be lambasted for…

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Or someone who generates a bunch of industrial fallout
it's like industrial waste and nuclear fallout went to summer camp together

Or just written by an idiot

I think cybertrucks count as industrial fallout now that I think about it.....

so cybertrucks just exist to protect you against other cybertrucks

Oh man, talk about selling to both sides of the war!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Meh. Honestly, of all things to skewer Tesla and Tesla owners about the stainless panels are pretty harmless.

301 SS, which is what is used on that abomination, is higher strength and slightly less corrosion resistant than 304 SS. I have quite a bit of both grades in various pieces of equipment. The 301 does “stain” faster and doesn’t clean up quite as nice as the 304, but it’s not like it crumbles to dusty rust flakes if you don’t hose it down in alcohol once a day.

Perhaps the expectation that a SS car will stay shiny and blemish free without any care or maintenance is what people should be lambasted for…

To be truly "stainless" it must be passivated. The other alloying metals in stainless oxidize with a clear, hard and durable surface, but the majority of the content is still iron that can still rust or blush, just at a lower rate as the iron atoms are surrounded by other elements.

Passivation uses acids and electrolysis to dissolve the top few microns of iron leaving the other alloying metals that will oxidize in a more friendly way. At scale passivation is an expensive process as the process needs to happen when the metal is in its final form.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
To be truly "stainless" it must be passivated. The other alloying metals in stainless oxidize with a clear, hard and durable surface, but the majority of the content is still iron that can still rust or blush, just at a lower rate as the iron atoms are surrounded by other elements.

Passivation uses acids and electrolysis to dissolve the top few microns of iron leaving the other alloying metals that will oxidize in a more friendly way. At scale passivation is an expensive process as the process needs to happen when the metal is in its final form.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yep, flood time downstream.

Good for us though, means we can stop sharing our cold air with the south.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Free gondola lodging.......apparently
Lol, saw that story. I believe that she was from Spain or somewhere in Euroland. When I saw the pic of her with dreadlocks I thought someone’s trustees or estate is going to slaughter that ski resort in court. But I don’t know how that stuff works overseas, only experience with that species was in Asheville.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
This poor guy and his family... :(

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
This poor guy and his family... :(

About The Author

Financial Samurai
Sam started Financial Samurai in 2009 to help make sense of financial chaos. With an MBA from Berkeley and 13 years of experience at Goldman Sachs and Credit Suisse, he helps readers achieve financial freedom sooner. Sam is excited about investing in private growth companies in the artificial intelligence space with Fundrise, an affiliate partner. In 20 years, he doesn't want his kids asking why he didn't invest in AI near the beginning!
:rofl:

Fuck this out of touch prick.