Quantcast

Things that seem simple to others that you find confounding:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know everyone must have a few of these...common moments or situations that you often have problems with, but seem really easy for everyone else.

I'll start:

- Shower Controls at other peoples' house: Like a damned Rubik's cube to me alot of the time.

- Tipping a barber/hair stylist: WTF do I do if Im paying with a credit card? Wait for the receipt and pray there is a line to add a tip in? Always disconcerting.

- Spanish II: I have to be the only college senior in the world who hasn't yet completed highschool spanish II. Don't ask how I've gotten around the holds this long. I'm taking it this summer. :banghead:

- Those spinning/rotating doors: Can't master this device for the life of me. Looks like they're being phased out lately. Thank god.

How about you? Don't be ashamed.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
- Shower Controls at other peoples' house: Like a damned Rubik's cube to me alot of the time.

- Tipping a barber/hair stylist: WTF do I do if Im paying with a credit card? Wait for the receipt and pray there is a line to add a tip in? Always disconcerting.
My barbershop is cash only. Give them a twenty and I'm done.

Shower controls can be a pain to deal with.

splat

Nam I am
-- Molding , door window, I just can't seam to get it so it looks like it was done right I've tried all the techniques, I just don't get it .

-- Making Eggs over easy , I just can't flip the egg with out breaking the yoke .

-- Art , anything Artistic -- Drawing , Painting , sculpture , music Creatively Just can't do it.

( don't feel bad about the Spanish II I never took it either . for that matter I forgot all my Spanish 1 )

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
- Spanish II: I have to be the only college senior in the world who hasn't yet completed highschool spanish II. Don't ask how I've gotten around the holds this long. I'm taking it this summer. :banghead:
I took Latin in high school. Spanish is like, well, a foreign language to me. Jenn keeps trying to hammer in the occasional phrase (she's fluent), but it just doesn't stick. So, yep, Spanish and actually all foreign language doesn't seem to stick in my brain very well.

splat said:
-- Art , anything Artistic -- Drawing , Painting , sculpture , music Creatively Just can't do it.
That's the biggest one for me. There's a disconnect between my brain and my hands when it comes to anything artistic. I can't sketch, can't paint, can't do ANYTHING. Even my stick figures suck.

Other people's microwaves. Why has the microwave industry decided that all the buttons should be labeled the same, but they should be pressed in a completely different order depending on the brand? :rant:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The proper use of affect vs effect. I was a damn English minor and I can't figure that one out.

Getting the can to latch onto an electric can opener. I just assume smash the ****ing can open with a hammer.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Other people's microwaves. Why has the microwave industry decided that all the buttons should be labeled the same, but they should be pressed in a completely different order depending on the brand? :rant:
oh great, another product segment that apple must swoop in to save... ;)

Pat Tellier

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
Montreal, QC, Canada
- Manuals on a bike. Can't figure it out.
- Dancing. The only time I tried I looked like frozen Jell-O in a microwave oven.
- Chemistry. I guess they force us to study chemistry in high school so we learn the true meaning of the word "humility".

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Exactly , I know in my Head what I want to Put on the paper , but its Just not getting there no matter how hard I try.
I'm guessing it's the same Part of your head that suggests you Capitalize the occasional Random word :D

IAB; the simple rule is that affect is a verb, and effect is a noun. There are exceptions to both cases, but virtually all uses fall under that rule.

If you can remember that effect is a verb only when it means "to cause" (I effected a change = I caused a change) then you've covered almost all the remaining exceptions. Toshi's example nonwithstanding :p

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
String theory, WTF?

My barber Rudy just raised his prices to $11, so is a $20 still appropriate, or should I give him $21?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You tip your barber $9?!?!?!? He better give a hell of a reach-a-around.
Rudy has been cutting my hair for the past 5 years. He does it perfect (and I have changed styles from military to civilian) and he's old school. Straight razor on the neck, trims the eyebrows, talks sh!t about the locals.

So you figure $11 for a hair cut, $3 for a shave, $3 for an education, and $3 for a tip.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Rudy has been cutting my hair for the past 5 years. He does it perfect (and I have changed styles from military to civilian) and he's old school. Straight razor on the neck, trims the eyebrows, talks sh!t about the locals.

So you figure $11 for a hair cut, $3 for a shave, $3 for an education, and $3 for a tip.
Eyebrow trimming is a violation of my person.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Colors.

The financee was looking at color swatches for various whites to paint the ceiling and trim of our dining room.

Me: "They all look the same to me. I thought white was white."
Her: :panic::banghead:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Colors.

The financee was looking at color swatches for various whites to paint the ceiling and trim of our dining room.

Me: "They all look the same to me. I thought white was white."
Her: :panic::banghead:
It's NOT white, it's clearly "eggshell". - JD's wife at Home Depot

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
maths. I can do algebra just fine, and I'm pretty handy with a calculator, but if my girlfriend is trying to calculate bills, I sit and stare and take her word for gospel. There was one time she added something, divided by 2 for each of us, then added something just on my side of the bill, and said it was fine....I was like, "OK, sure....wait what?"

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
- Those spinning/rotating doors: Can't master this device for the life of me. Looks like they're being phased out lately. Thank god.

How about you? Don't be ashamed.
They aren't being phased out, you just don't live in a windy city. There's not too much to get, they spin you walk.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Back to the question at hand, I have general issues with walking. So much so that falling without injury has become my forte.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I have a tough time when people use negatives or double negatives in sentences;

Eg questions:
"Wait, so you're saying that he didn't not to go the store?"
"That dude's drive train didn't fail as he was riding that rock section?"

Typical answer:
".....................................................................................yes?"