Quantcast

Things you would like to see from bicycle manufacturers

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
What do you want to see in bicycle manufacturers web sites?

Me:

Videos of rear suspension working under the rider in the terrain where the bike is meant to be ridden,
This video from GIANT is an example for something like that:
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/218823/

a video where you can see the frame from the side, front, and back.
Where you can see how the rear suspension works on square edge hits, small bumps, and so on...
Where you can see the stiffness of the rear, if it flex when you corner and how much.

Well you probably understand what I mean :)

What do you think?
Do you want to add to the list?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
You can't really tell dick all looking at a video of the shock hitting bumbs. You need the displacement/time record (provided by a datalogger and linear displacement probe/laser/whathaveyou) and you pair that with a shock dyno graph and you get your forces.

What you can tell from a video sometimes is lack of rebound damping (only apparent with a nice side view in slow motion and good quality) and bottomout, not much else.

Also, gearboxes, grease nipples everyfrackingwhere (mainly pivots and one between oil and dust seal on fork and shock) more carbonz. A Pinion carbon Nomad....just ****ing do it Santacruz!

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why didn't they wait for DW to do it and steal his video?

I don't really see any positive points of the video, everything is smooth in super slow-mo.

I did like the suspension movement animation on the old Corsair website, you could click the rear axle point and move the suspension through it's travel.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
How about building some bikes back here in the states? You know, build a factory, hire some skilled workers, build some beautiful frames, keep sharp tabs on QA, learn more from having manufacturing on site, apply knowledge... Kind of like that Chris King guy.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Carbon AM Zerode with 170mm of travel.

And prices of bike parts to go down!! $10k bikes is getting out of hand.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
How about building some bikes back here in the states? You know, build a factory, hire some skilled workers, build some beautiful frames, keep sharp tabs on QA, learn more from having manufacturing on site, apply knowledge... Kind of like that Chris King guy.

And end up with bikes that look like they have been welded by drunken paraplegics ala Intense?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
consolidation of brands, and industry-wide standards.

4 o 5 big brands (at most), selling reliable bikes for decent prices.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
- More Carbon 150mm Bikes with adaptable dropouts to accomodate 650b OR 26" Wheels
- Cheaper Wide Carbon Rims to accomodate above
- Better dropper post internal cable routing
- Space Magnets

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I want websites with MOAR FLASH!

Simple easy to navigate websites filled with useful information are so lame. I'm looking for something with so many animations and pretty pictures that I just wander around in a daze clicking on stuff till my eyes fall out.

Here's a good example of what I want to see!

http://www.jimcarrey.com/

My point? Flash = shimz of the interweb.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The corsair animation was pretty neat. Maybe a flash animation showing the size of the bump or terrain, and the expected reaction from the suspension? Maybe a "virtual tuning" station?

From the manufacturers themselves...budget options that let people get into the sport or people who would otherwise have rented buy.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Bring jobs back to the USA. Our shop used to carry Ross out of Allentown, Pa. Bill would call and tell them what size and color we wanted. If they didn't have them in stock the guys at Ross would tell him that they'll get "Joe" to paint some red ones. They'd assemble them there too. You could pick them up yourself and walk through the factory while you're there and give them feedback! It took less than a week. If you needed a part you didn't hear "we don't make it anymore" or "we won't have any for another 4 months". In 1996 My Trek 930 rigid w/STX cost $530 The frame was made in the USA! It lasted me 15years. Now the companies say they NEED to make them overseas to keep the cost down for consumers on $10,000 bikes! Fuch you Trek, Sants Cruz, Cannondale...

Standardize seat post, these new STUPID bb's (5 new ones?), wheel sizes (142, really?), cassettes (9spd was enough) just offer different ratios.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Good guides for bike setup and overall guides. Lists of shops. Geo. Proper sizing suggestions. Real frame weight. Shock suggestions. Responding to frame issues (ie. like the 951 that didn't clear some cranks). A vid for every frame like banshee would be nice

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
- Geometry at recommended sag amount
- Suspension leverage curve, using standardized x and y axis units
- Wheel rate curve for each shock option the frame is offered with

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Web sites or better web sites (yes you 2 know who you are)
prices to come down a bit
industry standards to stay where they are at and companies to stop making new ones ie. Bb, integrated stems!
Actual weights no more peak power adds like car audio
A bit more focus on customer and less on the customers money, if its a good product it will sell but take care of the person ....I'm sure economy and tighter budgets have something to do with the urgency but being a bit personal and relaxing a smidge can go a long ways...

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Definitely would like to see geo at sag as mentioned above, as well as more 26/650b options like the new Banshee Spitfire offers.

And not frame related, but it'd be great to see a lot more 140-150mm SC forks with 34-36mm stanchions with a 20mm axel.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
If only there were more headtube, wheelsize and bb standards.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Would be awesome if more websites provided baseline settings for shock tunes/setup for their frames. I'd also like if they provided linkage files, but can see why they wouldn't.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
To the guys wishing for sagged geo, enlighten me. 98% of dh bikes are 8-8.5" of travel with a few going over 9" and most run around 30% sag. What is sagged geo going to tell you that you cannot glean from static geo numbers? The only thing I can think of that would be interesting would be the change in chainstay length and given the pivot location on most bikes I doubt that would vary much. Most people don't even set up their bikes with the proper sag anyhow.
To the guys whinging about standards, I wish you had to ride a bike with cantilever brakes, a 1" threaded steerer tubed fork, a 68mm square taper BB, 130mm rear hub spacing, toe clips, thumb shifters, and a 25.4mm seatpost. :think:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
To the guys wishing for sagged geo, enlighten me. 98% of dh bikes are 8-8.5" of travel with a few going over 9" and most run around 30% sag. What is sagged geo going to tell you that you cannot glean from static geo numbers? The only thing I can think of that would be interesting would be the change in chainstay length and given the pivot location on most bikes I doubt that would vary much. Most people don't even set up their bikes with the proper sag anyhow.
Suspension leverage curve is different for each frame, therefore the distance that the wheel travels to reach 30% sag isn't consistent between frames even with the same amount of travel. I set my bikes up with proper sag.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Suspension leverage curve is different for each frame, therefore the distance that the wheel travels to reach 30% sag isn't consistent between frames even with the same amount of travel.
Sure, but by how much? Pretty small numbers I would imagine - like single digit mm's.
I set my bikes up with proper sag.
So do I but I don't think most people do.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
To the guys whinging about standards, I wish you had to ride a bike with cantilever brakes, a 1" threaded steerer tubed fork, a 68mm square taper BB, 130mm rear hub spacing, toe clips, thumb shifters, and a 25.4mm seatpost. :think:
Yeah, let's bring those back too! We can't have enough!