Quantcast

Think I need a New Seat- My junk fell asleep..

SDoldskool

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
North County Dago, CA
Hey guys, any advice on a a good all purpose saddle for my hardtail XC bike? I have seen a bunch that look good from WTB, but which one is the most popular for long rides- SoCal and AZ singletrack (I don't do any crazy downhill stuff, but ride pretty aggressively when I can).

Thanks for the help

lunicycle

Chimp
Oct 15, 2010
Central Victoria, Australia
Junk falling asleep isn't that unusual but still not good of course. Much worse is actual damage etc.

Take the opportunity to get your sit bones measured and get a saddle that fits, rather than playing lucky dip based on how saddles look.

For the first time ever (at 43) I ran into problems caused by a saddle, so got my sit bones measured and got a Specialized Phenom sized to suit, best thing I've ever done saddle-wise.

Last edited:

collin7

Chimp
Apr 10, 2008
Clemson, SC
If you can't afford that route though, I'm a fan of the SDG Bel Air. The nicer model, I think its the RL. They are super comfy, a decent weight, very durable, and not too expensive. I haven't had one for about a year but am ordering one ASAP to replace my current POS seat!

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There's lots of good saddles out there, but no way to know what will work for you unless you try it. In any case, I have a WTB Silverado on my XC hardtail and it's been pretty good. No real complaints, thought it might be a tad wide for me. Previous saddle was a Fizik Nisene, which was great until it broke in half (after quite a few years of use).

lunicycle

Chimp
Oct 15, 2010
Central Victoria, Australia
If you can't afford that route though...
Getting your sit bones measured by a bike shop is usually free. They just need the gadget which is a fairly basic thing. And a body geometry saddle like the Phenom - there are many saddles that cost more.

It's surprising there so many seats are still one size fits all. Bummer... literally! :p

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sometimes just up the angle, height, fore or aft position will solve the problem.
This. Don't buy a new seat yet, get someone who knows what they're doing to to look at that stuff first. Hell, I could do a bit with a side on picture of the bike.

SDoldskool

Chimp
Nov 23, 2010
North County Dago, CA
Thanks guys. Still have the OEM seat on my bike, so it's pretty much a piece of crap anyway. I'll be heading down to my LBS and getting it sorted soon. (training for a half marathon is eating into my riding time until the 2nd week of Feb).

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
WTB Rocket-V has always been good for me.

I hear that Selle San Marco makes awesome stuff as well... Have also her good things about fizik saddles.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Go find a reputable shop that has WTB and Fizik demo saddles. That way you can actually ride a saddle for a decent amount of time and determine if it will work for you.