Quantcast

Think this is worth an hour's drive to Woostah? Older Spec Sirrus

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Saw this ad on craigslist. Looks to be a decent bike for the price. Built up by a shop mechanic so I assume it was well built.

Whattya think? Anyone have a guess as to what brand of old saddle that is?

I think I might cut out of work a little early to take a drive to go see it. I think it'll fit fine and it could be worth it just for the hell of it.

I think I'll pass on the seller's free pizza offer though.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/bik/461383296.html

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wow, seems like a great deal to me!

It looks from the drivetrain photo that it has braze-ons for rack and/or fender mounts.

The front fork doesn't look like it has enough rake for maintaining quality riding with a moderate to heavy load, but you'll probably never bother putting a rack on the front anyway.

I'm guessing threadless? I like the stem.

If the bike is in overall decent condition, no frame/fork issues, and it fits, that's a mutha fockin' steal right there.

Cuz some bitch *cough*James*cough* made me dump my PM box, I don't have the PM with what the size of your Jamis roadie was. I have to imagine if your Jamis was a 54cm that this bike will be a more relaxed, upright ride?

As for Saddle, I doubt it's a Brooks eventho it looks a little like it. But it appears to have some padding.

Did you keep the saddle from one of your previous bikes?

Yes, go look at it.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
:stupid:

I'd go scope it....could be a great find for $75. Older bikes are cooooool :)

splat

Nam I am
, I don't have the PM with what the size of your Jamis roadie was. I have to imagine if your Jamis was a 54cm that this bike will be a more relaxed, upright ride?
His old Jamis was a 53 , his serrotta ( that he never should have sold of which the same can be said of the jamis ) was a 54.

ANd what does it matter ? You know it will be sold ( for a Profit ) before spring time rolls around.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
His old Jamis was a 53 , his serrotta ( that he never should have sold of which the same can be said of the jamis ) was a 54.

ANd what does it matter ? You know it will be sold ( for a Profit ) before spring time rolls around.
IF he's making a profit, then perhaps it's time to consider it as a real side job?

:)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
splat - you've probably sold just as many items as I have as of late.

I'm going to take a look at it this evening.

Cutting out of work a little early to make the trek to Woostah!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Oh and it does have braze ons to run a rear rack. One of these (spec'd a lot different) just sold on ebay for $315.00 (same frame and fork.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
cool, let us know if you get it. That saddle looks like a Brooks....they use those large brass rivets (but...being older who knows)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Nice find Mark! Just curious, what shop did the guy work at? I live in Worcester and frequent the Bike Alley, wondering if it was one of the guys there.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You're an honorary jew now! ;) :busted:

So, did you at least ride it for a few minutes? Does it fit?
What would it make me - McGrathowitz?

I rode it around yep! It rode nice and fits good. The guy is a shop mechanic so, the headset was re-greased, new mismatched wheels put on it and everything was tuned-up. The saddle is kinda crappy, but that is easily replaced. Components are primarily Suntour 4050 level stuff and the brakes and brake levers are Diacompe Edge. I guess you'd call them side pull brakes??

I went for a short ride on it this morning, but my toes were freezing so I cut it a tad short.

For 60 bucks it is a decent little bike. :thumb:

Hard to believe but out of all the bikes I've owned in these last 6 years or so - this is my first Specialized.

The shop in Worcester - the Bicycle Alley - was really nice. Loads of really nice road and mountain bikes and a big BMX section and selection too. Everyone there was wicked friendly as well.

IF you are in Central Mass and want a Santa Cruz - this probably would be the place to go.

Cheers,

Mark

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Nice Ride! And $60 is a steal!

whats a "brace-on" ?
Do you mean braze-on? If so, those are items not part of the tubes that allow you to add components easily. Like tabs for cable holders/stops or eyelets to add fenders or racks, I think the holes for water bottle cages are also BOs. Or the part that allows you to connect the front derail directly to the bike instead of via a clamp.