Quantcast

Think you have a tough commute?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Swedish man wins bike for 'most ridiculous commute'

Fri Jul 4, 10:14 AM ET

A man deemed to have the shortest and "most ridiculous commute" in Malmoe has won a bicycle as part of a campaign to reduce car traffic in the southern Swedish city , an organiser said Friday.

"A man called Lasse Jonsson won the contest after his girlfriend Anna Holm signed him up. He drives his car every day less than 200 metres (650 feet) between his home and workplace, and also drives another few hundred metres to lunch," Sara Forslund told AFP.

Forslund is one of the organisers of Malmoe's municipal campaign called "No ridiculous car journeys".

splat

Nam I am
I thought it was going to about this guy

Mariposa resident Dave Givens makes a 186-mile drive -- each way -- five days a week to his job in San Jose.

The electrical engineer has been doing that commute since 1989, spending seven hours every day getting to and from work at Cisco Systems Inc. (NASDAQ:CSCO).

Givens is the "ultimate road warrior," according to Midas Inc. (NYSE:MDS) and drove home with its first-place prize in the nationwide search for "America's Longest Commute." Givens out-drove thousands of other entrants to take home $10,000 in gas money and a range of maintenance services and products.

"I have a great job and my family loves the ranch where we live," Givens said. "So this is the only solution."

On his long trek he said he listens to the radio, keeps his eyes on the road and drinks "a lot of coffee."

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I used to work for Fairfax County Public Schools building maintenance in Virginia. We had a bunch of people that commuted from West Virginia to come work. They left their house at 4:15am and got home around 6ish pm Out work day was from 7-3.

They said they loved where they lived, and make way more money in Fairfax than they could at home.