Quantcast

Thinkin' about moving to upstate NY...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
...and I could use a little help from all you Monkies out there. A friend of mine has informed me there is a potential job opening at her place of employment, and as much as I absolutely LOVE living in Colorado I have always felt like I haven't seen enough of the country/world/earth/whatever so I'm considering a move. So...

Where's the hot place to live near Middletown, NY? She commutes from New Paltz every day, or most days, and I may be able to do some telecommuting a couple-three times a week so living 30-40 minutes out isn't too big of a deal.

I know Plattekill is fairly close, and honestly knowing that there is lift-serve DH riding nearby is one of the only reasons I am even considering the move. Well, that and NYC is a lot closer to there than here, and that could be pretty cool. What else is there to ride out there? What are the trails like? I ride/race DH/4X/slalom but I own and ride a roadie bike, a trailbike (575), an old Schwinn fat-tire cruiser, and a four-stroke 250.

Would you monkies from the area hang out with me? I'll try not to drink ALL your beer... and it would be nice to have some riding/partying friends when I gets out there.

Can't think of anything else specifically that I'd like to know, but if you have any insights on the area, feel free to post 'em. This is all just speculation, I don't even know if the job is truly open just yet, and who knows if I'll get it, but I'm strongly considering it. For ****s and grins, if nothing else.

Now I just need to figure out how to get my tattoo finished if I do make the move! Good artists are hard to find...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Oh yeah? Like... HOW far? Diablo looks fun as CRAP... as long as my Yeti-ridin' ass wouldn't get lynched out there! :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
FT - I'd PM Stosh and Bluebug for the skinny on Middletown.

I think Down Cycles is close by and that's a bike shop that caters to the DH and FR scene. Might be worth calling them to find out more about the riding scene in that area.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Like assh*le New Yorkers? Get used to it

Note: this is why I don't live in New York anymore...

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Its not going to be Colorado FT. You'll miss it quickly.
Of this I am certain, and I always think I will return here barring any unforseen disaster. But here's my thinking... I've been on this planet for 33 1/2 years, the first 25 1/2 were spent in the middle of the corfield known as Indiana, and the last 8 or so have been here. As much as I love it here, I really do want to see some other stuff. Seems like an opportunity to live "East Coast Hardcore" for a little while and see what that scene is all about.

I'm also really into live music, design and art, etc. so being close to NYC isn't such a bad thing! I mean, there was a time in my life pre-dating my fascination with all things on two wheels were I was completely obsessed with playing music and chasing that dream.

We'll see, my friend has submitted my resume to whoever it needs to go to and left that person a voice mail to call her back so she can hype me up.

:thumb:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Do it dude! I live a bit north of Middletown (Albany), but that part of NY (Hudson Valley) has a hell of a lot to offer, especially for DH. within easy driving distance, you have: Plattekill, Diablo, Mt. Snow (horrible riding but great race courses), Jiminy Peak and Whiteface- all within a 3 hour drive give or take. (Albany is awesome, central to most of those except Diablo). You can also do awesome weekend trips and ride the Mt. St. Anne WC courses or hit Bromont in Canada. Go east and you can hit Highland and some other place in NH whose name I am forgetting.

...and yes, we will ride with you if you bring beer, or tubes.

EDIT: Plattekill also has a LONG season, which is great - usually starting at the end of April through early to mid November.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Something else to keep in mind... 30 minutes north of middletown the cost of living is going to be pretty low. 30 minutes south and the cost of living will be through the roof.

FWIW... I know everyone's tastes are different, but I have family in Jackson Hole, WY and Tucson, AZ. I also have a friend in Grand Junction, CO. Those places are nice, and each has something special to offer, but I love living in the northeast. Sure, you can bitch about the weather and everything else... but there's just somethign about this region.

And if you're close to NYC... then the life/culture/etc that NYC offers makes the deal even sweeter.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sweet action! Sounds like the riding and such isn't going to be the issue... plus with NYC all close-like I'm getting pretty psyched to try something new.

Funny thing about those "@sshole New Yorkers" as someone mentioned... you can find those just about anywhere, right? The one time I visited my friend in NYC, everyone I met I felt was really laid back, down to earth, and friendly. In a lot of ways, more friendly than the folks here in Colorado.

Here's another question for ya'll... how's the winter out there? One thing I LOVE about Colorado is that if I WANT snow, I've got it. But usually, I'd rather ride my dirtbike during the winter months, and the Front Range/Eastern Plains are usually dry and sunny, with plenty of moto tracks around.

I'm not saying I HAVE to ride moto in the winter, but it would be nice to be able to spin two wheels at least a little bit during those months. Is this possible, or do you basically put the bikes away in November and not even look at them again until spring?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Winters in that area aren't too harsh, but they'll be snow.

Not like Rochester or Syracuse or Buffalo, NY snow though. You won't get those big "lake effect" snow storms like those cities get.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
How the heck is Middletown upstate? I always picture "upstate" as Syracuse, Rochester, etc. Albany is "downstate".

I always thought of Syracuse, Utica, Rome as Central NY, And Rochester, Buffalo etc - Western NY, and Middletown the Hudson Valley area, and Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga as the Capital Region. I consider Upstate NY to be the Adirondack Resion and really upper west part of NYS. And then of course you have the NY Metropolitan area too. How's that sound?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mark they should put you in charge of the "NY state area designation commission". :D

I always love Geography in school! :biggrin: And I toured a good part of NYS while playing college hockey. holy crap the North Country is mighty desolate in February let me tell ya.

Echo - how are the Amerks this year? And is there still a professional lacrosse team in Rochester??

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Sweet action! Sounds like the riding and such isn't going to be the issue... plus with NYC all close-like I'm getting pretty psyched to try something new.

Funny thing about those "@sshole New Yorkers" as someone mentioned... you can find those just about anywhere, right? The one time I visited my friend in NYC, everyone I met I felt was really laid back, down to earth, and friendly. In a lot of ways, more friendly than the folks here in Colorado.

Here's another question for ya'll... how's the winter out there? One thing I LOVE about Colorado is that if I WANT snow, I've got it. But usually, I'd rather ride my dirtbike during the winter months, and the Front Range/Eastern Plains are usually dry and sunny, with plenty of moto tracks around.

I'm not saying I HAVE to ride moto in the winter, but it would be nice to be able to spin two wheels at least a little bit during those months. Is this possible, or do you basically put the bikes away in November and not even look at them again until spring?
I think
#1. you may have met good people! You will have the NYC A-hole factor the closer you get to the city! That said, I have several friends who live there and aren't A-holes, nor are their friends, but they have sculpted their group of like minded people!
#2. winter is good, you may want to trade the dirt scooter in for a snowmobile:biggrin:
#3. I ride all year round, I don't get as much lake effect snow as the NY contingent on here, but most of them ride year round also... a little snow never hurt anyone!

Good luck in what ever you choose!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I'm not sure how winter moto compares to winter MTB, but...

There will be snow. But unless it's a really harsh winter, it'll be rare that you can't get out and ride. I ride all winter long, and except for 2 winters ago (which was a particularly bad winter), I don't usually have any problem getting out a few times a month.

I do bring the roadie in for the winter though...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I always thought of Syracuse, Utica, Rome as Central NY, And Rochester, Buffalo etc - Western NY, and Middletown the Hudson Valley area, and Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga as the Capital Region. I consider Upstate NY to be the Adirondack Resion and really upper west part of NYS. And then of course you have the NY Metropolitan area too. How's that sound?

from where I am, having relatives all over NYS I always thought of anything outside of NYC as upstate (mostly cause the relatives I have range from Buff. over to Endicott/Endwell and pick up again in the big Apple!):biggrin: your description makes much more sense than mine!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
SWEET HEAVENLY STARS ABOVE!!! Dude, we'll be neighbors! I'm currently in the process of looking for a place to live in the New Paltz area. (Which means I won't have the NYC crash pad to offer you after one of your rock gigs, but oh well.)

If by chance you're into rock-climbing you'll be close to one of the mecca's (to my non-rock-climing ass's understanding). The Gunks.

I've heard moto'ing is kinda tight there. If that's true, I have also heard there are a few mx tracks so maybe I'll get to line up with you at the gate! Bring in on big fella!!! Brappity brappy brap.

Wow, FT as East Coast Gnar Core. What a great addition you will be indeed. (Plus maybe your level-head and sense of humor can help straighten out some of the less chill vibe that occasionally pervades the DH scene.)

Seems doubtful you'll be a fraction as thrilled with East Coast snow (read: ice) as you might be about Rocky Mountain fluffy stuff. However, loads of riding fools pedal their bahooogies off all winter long. I plan on being one of them as soon as I'm out of New York Poopy.

Yippy, yea and goodie two shoes! Trucker's heading East.

(ps: you're in deep doody if you've been to nyc in the past four years...eh-hem.)

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
How the heck is Middletown upstate? I always picture "upstate" as Syracuse, Rochester, etc. Albany is "downstate".
Help! Help! I'm being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!

J/K mang. Keep in mind that I don't know a DAMN thing about the state of NY... I just figured that everything that surrounds NYC is "the city" and everything that isn't in the NYC metropolitan area is "upstate" ! :D

So far: thanks for everyone's input, regardless of what area they may or may not live in. It all depends on if this job actually IS available, and whether or not they want to give it to some punk-ass from 2/3 way across the country instead of looking locally.

Montreal Strip Clubs? I'm IN.

splat

Nam I am
and what about the Island ?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
For most people who don't live in NY, "upstate" is everything outside of NYC.
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA totally!

tmx said:
(ps: you're in deep doody if you've been to nyc in the past four years...eh-hem.)
Oh SNAP! You know I ain't been to no NY without telling ya! And ya hey, New Paltz is looking kinda nice, but whatever I can get into for cheap rent and good beer close by is where I'll go. Keep in mind that I have to actually be OFFERED the jobby job before I can get all Gnar Core with you and your crew! And hey... I heard Doc is done with BMW? Send me a note offline and lemme know what's going on with that!

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I live right outside of New Paltz which was just ranked one of the best outdoor towns by Outside Magazine. I love living here, so much to do and amazing trails and places to ride. PM me with any questions you have.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Now I just need to figure out how to get my tattoo finished if I do make the move! Good artists are hard to find...
Pat Sinatra is in Woodstock. If you know anything about ink, you should be familiar with her work. She's world-class dude!! Lot's of great people up my way (Albany and north) as well as out roch-cha-cha way. Have you seen DHS's backpiece? It's the sh*t!!