Quantcast

Thinking about a job change

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I am bored with the rat race of "in home sales" (right now I sell heating and air) I am really thinking of taking a job at a LBS. the pay won't be what I am used to (may have to get a part time bartending gig too) but cycling is the one thing I am really passionate about.
I am being crazy, is this a mid-life crisis???

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
MunkeeHucker said:
I am bored with the rat race of "in home sales" (right now I sell heating and air) I am really thinking of taking a job at a LBS. the pay won't be what I am used to (may have to get a part time bartending gig too) but cycling is the one thing I am really passionate about.
You'll be surrounded by bikes and you'll be talking about bikes, but if it's full time you might not be able to do much riding of bikes. And you'll probably be asked to work weekends.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
the only way you'll know if it's going to make you happy or not is to try it. your old line of work will still be there if you decide bike bum doesn't work out.

J

JRB

I'm considering the same thing. I will take a $16,000 pay cut to do it. I am not sure that I dislike this that much yet.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I slummed it for 6 months and came back with a new outlook. I often think about a change, but I haven't made the choice yet.

I think the only thing I would be happier at that would pay the same or better is if I work for myself.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
munk- I say "go for it!" Sometimes the best road in life may not be the "sane" or "normal" choice. Live a little, enjoy it.

I'm leaving my job at the end of the summer as a field biologist (great job, mind you) to work in a rock climbing gym and go back to grad school. I'm gonna be poor as hell, but happy as sh!t.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i've seen way too many good riders and racers get so burnt out on cycling by working in a l.b.s.
that they quit riding all together.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:

Are you in Little Rock? Cuz I have some good friends who work at Bike Seller.com/Competive Cyclist up there...

J

JRB

N8 said:
Are you in Little Rock? Cuz I have some good friends who work at Bike Seller.com/Competive Cyclist up there...
I'm sure he'll want to rush right over to hang out with YOUR friends. :think: :D

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
N8 said:
I live outside of Little Rock, but that's where I work currently and would probally try this switch. I don't really know the folks at CC that well, but everything is worth a shot.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MunkeeHucker said:
I live outside of Little Rock, but that's where I work currently and would probally try this switch. I don't really know the folks at CC that well, but everything is worth a shot.

If you have a resume ect, I can get it to the right people.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
OGRipper said:
You'll be surrounded by bikes and you'll be talking about bikes, but if it's full time you might not be able to do much riding of bikes. And you'll probably be asked to work weekends.
The shops here are all closed on Sunday , and most are open like 10-6 the rest of the time so there's plenty of time to ride, right now I have to fight for time to ride, I have to carry my bike with me and a change of clothes in case I get a quick ride in....