Quantcast

Thinking about getting a singlespeed

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
So I would like to add a singlespeed to my quiver. The hubby rides a Kona Unit-29er, which I've ridden a few times and liked. But I want to see what else is out there. This is sort of a new thing for me, and I really don't know much about singlespeeds. I don't have oodles of money to spend, but I would like to get the best bang for the buck. Any suggestions?

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
To me the key things to look for would be a nice steel rigid frame (obviously one that fits you well), and something preferably with horizontal dropouts so you don't have to run a chain tensioner. Not that it's that big of a deal, I just think it's nicer that if you're going to ditch the derailleur, ditch it all and make it as simple as possible.

26 or 29 is really up to personal preference. I know 29ers are hot right now, but I know several people who've tried them and don't like them for cornering, etc. Others like them because they absorb the bumps better. I bought mine as a training tool to whip my handling/cornering/climbing skills into shape, so I went with 26" wheels, and I love it.

Also, make sure you put some decent sized tires on it (minimum of about a 2.25). And your gear ratio will depend on both your terrain and how averse you are to getting off and walking every now and then. But I have a 2:1 ratio and it's been working well for me.

edit: and I have a Bianchi P.U.S.S.

Hope that helps!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
what's your budget?

and how tall are ya etc. etc.

Lots of cool options out there these days.

Can't ever go wrong with a Surly 1x1

On One Inbreds are also sweet in 29er or 26er formats

Redline Monocogs are another economical way to get rolling

Bianchi usually has some great spec'd SS bikes too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would also throw into the mix a Kona Explosif...very versatile bike (can be run SS without a chain tensioner or you can change the drop outs and run a rear der.).

Personally, I have a Zion 853 EBB and it's great (steel and was very inexpensive to build). I am now thinking I need a race hardtail, but we'll see what happens with that.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
Yeah,my budget, I am thinking, is in the $500 - 700 range. Maybe a little more. I am 5' 9". I've seen a few Bianchi W.U.S.S.'s for sale at good prices, and I also came across these MISFIT Psycles, which I had never heard of before. I can get a team discount on anything Kona, which I suppose isn't a bad way to go.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yeah,my budget, I am thinking, is in the $500 - 700 range. Maybe a little more. I am 5' 9". I've seen a few Bianchi W.U.S.S.'s for sale at good prices, and I also came across these MISFIT Psycles, which I had never heard of before. I can get a team discount on anything Kona, which I suppose isn't a bad way to go.
The Kona's are nice. We have an explosif (basically a unit frame) & a Cowan at my house and I am thinking (if the opportunity were to arise) another might be in the works.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Can't go wrong with a kona then and you could decide between a 29er or a 26er.

I'm 5'9" also and ride a 29er On One Inbred. I think the big hoops do offer some benefits for SS riding (especially if you were to go rigid) - they roll over obstacles easier and they hold their momentum a bit better in my opinion.

And you can still ride technical trail features just fine with them:

I love this bike so I am a bit biased towards the big hoops.