Quantcast

Thinking about getting an EVIL Sovereign to Replace My Chameleon

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Well yesterday’s sovereign (god that is hard to spell) and chameleon talk that was nested in the ipod nano thread got me thinking about swapping out. I did a number to number comparison on the evil vs the SC and to my surprise they are almost identical. The only difference is that the evil is about .5 lbs heavier. I would be using this bike for almost completely XC/Trail riding around here, but our XC trails are very tech and tight. I am going on 6 years riding a Chameleon and love the bike but im thinking that a basically steel version would be incredible not to mention the EVIL quality. I also have a DOC as a street bike so this would make going back and fourth a breeze.

The components i am running on my XC bike are

fox vanilla fork 05'
Hope mini monos
Sram x.o stuff
Thompson stem/seat post
mavic crossmax enduro cranks
Shimano xt cranks without a big ring.
Carbon oversized bars
I run a Larson 2.3 in the back and a intense 2.3 front tire... just so you can get an idea of the build.

If I do decide to go with the evil the next decision would be the color, i think it would either be silver or green :confused:

Comments anyone???

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah but the chameleon can be a jack hammer on these east coast rocks i think the .5 might be worth it.

oh it will cost me another $300

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
could you run another DOC as a trail bike? or would the geometry be whacked? Still a steel frame, pretty much the same weight as the Sovereign isn't it? and about $350 less expensive than the Sovereign isn't it?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MMcG said:
could you run another DOC as a trail bike? or would the geometry be whacked? Still a steel frame, pretty much the same weight as the Sovereign isn't it? and about $350 less expensive than the Sovereign isn't it?

exactly what I was thinking...D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I think im going for the uber bling here...i like my DOC for beating up on the street, but there is just something on the sovereign

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
Age has *nothing* to do with it, man......... :p
quit derailing my frickin thread...

so i cant find those pics of that green sovereign that were floating around...anyone know where they are?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
so your thread is about how you've decided to buy a sovereign since it's "bling", and how you sympathize with stoney98. what's there to derail? :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Toshi said:
so your thread is about how you've decided to buy a sovereign since it's "bling", and how you sympathize with stoney98. what's there to derail? :D
Well put. :think:

Here - I'll officially derail it.

I found a picture of Stoney and manhattanprjkt83. I leave it up to the reader to identify each:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
quit derailing my frickin thread...

so i cant find those pics of that green sovereign that were floating around...anyone know where they are?

Mike D has one..I think it's the best color...I have a pic of it but it's too big to post (800KB)....you can send me your email addy and I'll send it to you...D

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
SkaredShtles said:
Ladies and Gentlemen, I present for your amusement:

Stoney Junior
rest asure i will not post pics obscure pics of my girlfriend in an odd shadow or compromising position with other males.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
Well put. :think:

Here - I'll officially derail it.

I found a picture of Stoney and manhattanprjkt83. I leave it up to the reader to identify each:

Picture poacher.

The joy of myspace.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
manhattanprjkt83 said:
yeah but the chameleon can be a jack hammer on these east coast rocks i think the .5 might be worth it.
The sovereign is not exactly "plush" you know. Evil's steel frames are easily as stiff as most aluminum ones. Given I've only ridden a DOC and sovereign on dirtjumps and slalom track stuff but they're both pretty darn stiff in the cornering/landing sideways departments.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
kidwoo said:
The sovereign is not exactly "plush" you know. Evil's steel frames are easily as stiff as most aluminum ones. Given I've only ridden a DOC and sovereign on dirtjumps and slalom track stuff but they're both pretty darn stiff in the cornering/landing sideways departments.
Maybe we should explain to the n00b that it's not the material, but the design that's important. ;)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
kidwoo said:
Do people come up to you and just yell "WOO" at you? I would.