Quantcast

Thinking About Getting New Bike

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
key word here is thinking. not actually getting, yet. i want opinons. i have ridden both and love the way they feel.
either

or

just thinking nothing actually happening yet or my other thought is keep my P.2 but who knows

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
How about the GIANT Reign X. I saw it in DECLINE as Jared Rando's Sea Otter DH bike....Beefed up version of the Reign or something!

Did KONA beef up the seatstay yokes on those bikes ??-Above the rear brake mount- I never bought another KONA after mine cracked at the yoke on my 99 Stab dee-lux..They did warranty it .

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
wouldn't sell the big hit. i just want a small low travel bike so i can dirt jump, ride XC, and do pisgah and places liek that without having to borrow a bike or pushing the bighit.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
escapeartist said:
Both are killer bikes for sure. Why no more bighit?
wouldnt sell it i would sell the p.2 instead. i love my big hit. i would keep it for big stuff and for dirtjumps and trail rides and **** i would take the SX or Cowan. but i am not buying anything yet. just looking. and i would keep it low travel. i would also probably do some dual slalom so. i would want it to be low travel

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
If you want a Trail/Pisgah bike, and still DJ rideable, i would stay away from both of them. I mean, don't get me wrong, both frames are sweet, and they both, particularly the SX, is great at the jumps. However, I think that from a versatility and long-trip rideability standpoint, something like a Kona Coiler/Coilair or an Enduro/Enduro SX Trail would be a far more versatile bike than a DS/DJ frame, especially for long trail rides such as Pisgah.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
WKC said:
If you want a Trail/Pisgah bike, and still DJ rideable, i would stay away from both of them. I mean, don't get me wrong, both frames are sweet, and they both, particularly the SX, is great at the jumps. However, I think that from a versatility and long-trip rideability standpoint, something like a Kona Coiler/Coilair or an Enduro/Enduro SX Trail would be a far more versatile bike than a DS/DJ frame, especially for long trail rides such as Pisgah.

Many people seem to think this way, but the SX is a different beast.
I have been riding Pisgah for over 11 years now on everything from hardtails to Dh rigs, and I have never ridden a bike more suited for ripping Pisgah trails than my SX.
The long SX had the same top tube length as the medium 06 enduro.
The geometry is also adjustable, and in the steep setting, it has a 69 degree head angle, a little higher BB, and a steeper seat angle. I do the same length rides in Pisgah as I did on my Turner 5 spot.
Plus, for 95% of the trails in Pisgah, all you need is a small travel bike.
Its low and fast and is probaly my favorite bike that I have ever owned.

TCP21

Monkey
May 13, 2005
Greensboro, NC
Jeremy R said:
Many people seem to think this way, but the SX is a different beast.
I have been riding Pisgah for over 11 years now on everything from hardtails to Dh rigs, and I have never ridden a bike more suited for ripping Pisgah trails than my SX.
The long SX had the same top tube length as the medium 06 enduro.
The geometry is also adjustable, and in the steep setting, it has a 69 degree head angle, a little higher BB, and a steeper seat angle. I do the same length rides in Pisgah as I did on my Turner 5 spot.
Plus, for 95% of the trails in Pisgah, all you need is a small travel bike.
Its low and fast and is probaly my favorite bike that I have ever owned.
thanks to both for the input but if i do anything i will probably do the cowan because i love the bike i have ridden it and fell in love with it. but i dont know yet i might just keep the p.2 and chase the coilair is way to expensive, i dont want to spend that much i am looking at spending like $1200 and the cowan is $1069 so its perfect but i dont know yet.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
TCP21 said:
chase the coilair is way to expensive, i dont want to spend that much i am looking at spending like $1200 and the cowan is $1069 so its perfect but i dont know yet.
Yea but your buying just a frame with the Cowan, while the others are complete bikes in the $2000-$4000 range. Are you are planning on switching parts from your P.2???

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Yea I know. At any rate, I'm sure you'll be happy with the Cowan or the SX, no matter what components are on them. They are both sweet frames and I yet have to hear a bad thing about either one of them

Josh,
Both of those bikes are sweet, I would say either one of them you can't go wrong with. I really like the SX. I've got a Kona Coilair and I would say it's my favorite bike ever. Handles just about anything Pisgah can throw at it (that the rider can handle) and did great on everything at Snowshoe, especially on the East side of the mtn. It's a little slack for trail riding locally (Charlotte), but it's manageable - and i think you said your in G-boro so your trails are probably similar to ours. Sounds like you are looking for 4-5 inch travel bike though so it is probably over kill. Next time I see you your welcome to take it for a spin. Fox DHX air in back with a fox 36 up front.

Try to find someone that owns an SX and ride it. Get a fox shock though, not the progressive.