Quantcast

thinking about giving it up

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA

Once again some of my tools were stolen. I happened about 2 years ago as well, at least this time it was only about $60 worth. Last time it was over $200 and they had been locked up with a cable. The main problem is there isn't enough of a rider presence here and the punk kids from the development nearby come out and leave their trash and mess with stuff.

I'm just too busy to get out there more than 1-2 times a week to keep an eye on things. I've got 3 years of digging into this place and it kills me but I think I have to let it go. If there were more people around to ride there things would be different.

If anyone wants to take it over, you're welcome to it. I can even provide you a place to store your tools (away from the trail).

Droptopchevy

Monkey
Jan 1, 2009
Morrisville, PA
I never leave my tools out. Looks like a nice spot. I would love to take over, but I have my own spot with similar problems. I would be willing to check your place out and help if needed.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Invest in a basic paintball gun and a bag of paintballs. Freeze the paint. Take a couple days off and wait for the little bastards, then light them up.

I would be more than happy to take over your digging if I lived near.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
The tools were in a pretty good hiding spot, but eventually stuff gets found out. I can't just take off and wait for the little bastards, I have more important things to do. I don't think I'll be digging there anymore. I'm just gonna have to find a new spot...

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
The only thing I can add is that this year started with our rigid fiberglass shovels and new wheelbarrow grew legs, that sucked. Then the poaching started.

But after this weekend it was all worth it. Nothing more rewarding than stacking moist dirt on a cool dry weekend with a couple of hommies. Add in a session and your fully hooked!! Hang in there.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I was thinking the same thing the other day, Casey. It does wear you down at times. For me the digging used to be half the fun but now it seems like work and I seem to be riding less and less and digging more and more. When I am digging I start thinking of all the other stuff I could be doing, like riding my xc bike or road bike. I start thinking that I could just go get my fix at Trilogy on tuesday and thursday open practice without all the back breaking labor.

I still plan on going full bore this season if you want to come down for some bbq and trails, but this could be the last season for Rancho Relaxo.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
I hear you man, the more jumps you build the more work you have. Maybe you should just try and scale it back to a more manageable number of features. I was thinking about the time yesterday too, I got out there and saw what happened. I was was just like, I should have gone to ride wiss or something else instead. At least you don't have to slog your tools a half mile into the woods to get your kicks. I'm definitely down for riding at your place some this year. I gotta get over there a couple times before race season starts and I'm gone every weekend.

You should adopt a kid that you can use for slave labor.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
tough decision. a spot getting plowed has more closure than being pushed out by unsavory characters. i guess move along to a more secluded area.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I'm not saying I'm done digging, I'm just done digging there.
Somewhat recently my buddies and I experienced similar issues, non-riders hanging out at the trails. It got to the point where lips actually got hacked up, after rebuilding them multiple times we finally ditched the spot. It's been a ton of work, but we ended up getting a new spot together which turned out to be really sick and haven't had any issues with strangers finding it. Find a more secluded spot and try to make it even better that what you had before :thumb:

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
people attract people. sadly the less people that know about a spot, even if they are riders, the better. word gets around about spots and kids bring out their friends with them to check it out. word gets around fast and soon people show up to party, ride dirt bikes and quads, or just mess things up for "fun". being selective and secret is the key

Rideforfun

Monkey
Nov 23, 2009
Invest in a basic paintball gun and a bag of paintballs. Freeze the paint. Take a couple days off and wait for the little bastards, then light them up.

I would be more than happy to take over your digging if I lived near.
Not to derail the thread but I feel like I had to chime in here and tell you that you CANNOT freeze paintballs. All putting paintballs in the freezer will do is make them really brittle.