Quantcast

Thinking about racing

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
So after MBW this weekend, Treesaw, Echo, and SQ-Earl have somehow planted a race bug in my head and I think I'd at least like to try racing. So where do I start? How do I find schedules for races near me? I'd also like to know what races would be good for a first time racer? I'm not expecting to do great, I just want to try it out. I've seen a couple races and I know that a large number of non-beginners race in the beginner class. Any help?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
lol... I'm in the same exact position (damn you Echo/sq-earl!), I'm just 2 days further along than you are. I'm pretty sure I know what races I want to do, now I just need to get to the training part.

Here's the gist (jist?) of the advice I've gotten. Start out with the smallest venue you can get into. Call around to you local shops and see if they know of any local races - either a weekly race put on by a shop (preferable) or any local race at all. If possible, find course that are close to you that you can preride a few times before race day to get used to the terrain. And go into it with the mindset that you are going to get p0wn3d.

As far as how to find out about races... the people you ride with and your LBS are probably going to be your best bets.

Here is a thread I started on another board that might help - see douglas' tips on training.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Sweeper, check out Doug's website to find a race: http://www.downhill.o-f.com/2005.htm

I only did one true XC race and didn't really like it. I think I'd prefer the longer endurance races (six hour ones, 40 milers...things like that). Most races do have a first timer category, but you'll just have to get used to the beginner category kicking your butt for a little while. You'll catch up fast.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Sweet! You have to try it at least once. I'd love to see more people racing. Racing breeds racing. :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Sweep - go for it! Douglas is a good resource if you want to learn about what races and race series are the ones to hit.

Too bad you didn't keep that Titanium Raleigh hardtail - you'd be a fast mofo on that bike. Do you still have it? Upgrade the fork on that puppy, throw on some new bars and you'd be flyin.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
yo

you looking for a regular xc race, or an endurance type of deal?

I'm thinking the root66 will have the closest race venues to you
http://www.root66raceseries.com/index.php

but the dudes that race in that series are pretty damn fast

The darkhorse 40(miles) would be a good choice for more of an endurance type race, the trails at stewart/STA are pretty fast w/no big climbs

Aug 7 DarkHorse 40 (Stewart State Forest) New Windsor, NY www.darkhorsecycles.com

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
You might want to try your local state championship races. My first race (DH--last year--it was my first race ever in my life) was the VA State Championship race... I heard about it on Ridemonkey via my local forum. Keep your ears open. Talk to other riders. See if any of them race. Then ask them how they got started. Good luck!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stoney98 said:
I'm in a similar spot here, I"m thinking about taking up XC racing. I've done a few races, when I was still racing DH competetively in college. I was racing expert DH, one race away from getting my semi license. I have not raced since sea otter 04, and not really ridden since March 04. Should I start out in Beginner or will I be sand bagging? I have the bikey skills, but no legs/lungs. Thoughts?

*edit* I did one "beginner" short-track and lapped the field, and placed top -5 in the sport race the next day. However, this was 4 years ago, and I have not been riding much in the last year +.

If I was in beginner, you lined up next to me and I heard you raced expert DH (or anything before) yeah, I'd be thinking you are a sandbagger

PLUS you'll get to do more laps in sport, and have stronger competition - more motavation to train harder

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stoney98 said:
I'm in a similar spot here, I"m thinking about taking up XC racing. I've done a few races, when I was still racing DH competetively in college. I was racing expert DH, one race away from getting my semi license. I have not raced since sea otter 04, and not really ridden since March 04. Should I start out in Beginner or will I be sand bagging? I have the bikey skills, but no legs/lungs. Thoughts?

*edit* I did one "beginner" short-track and lapped the field, and placed top -5 in the sport race the next day. However, this was 4 years ago, and I have not been riding much in the last year +.
Dude you are not a beginner and you know it.

Anyone who has raced before, I don't care if it was 10 years ago, doesn't belong in beginner. Be a man, step up.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
stoney98 said:
Okay, I'll race sport. Norba says you can race down 2 levels for xc to dh, or dh to xc. Just seeing waht you guys thought.
*runs away crying because echo yelled at him*

you sure bout that Norba rule, I really thought it was just one level

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I tried racing a bunch. Its fun, but found that I had to perform. I'd rather F-off and screw around.

Good luck. If yer fast, try the sport category first. That's where most seem to ride. You'll get frustrated with Beginner... them dudes can't even figure out how to dismount correctly, making it near impossible to get past them on a hill.

I did race in the expert category a few times (1993). Back then a fellow by the name of Steve Tillford showed up. There were a total of 7 of us. Actually, 6, and Steve put 3 laps on the 6 of us.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stoney98 said:
*runs away crying because echo yelled at him*
Ha :D

I just don't understand the point of racing in beginner if you know how to race. Every time I race I see all these freakin sandbaggers on $3000 race bikes in the beginner class. Half of them could probably compete in expert, but they would rather get their rocks off beating down some poor kid on a $200 Rockhopper who hasn't ever raced before. And then those same asshats wonder why more noobs don't get involved in racing :dead:

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Echo said:
Ha :D

I just don't understand the point of racing in beginner if you know how to race. Every time I race I see all these freakin sandbaggers on $3000 race bikes in the beginner class. Half of them could probably compete in expert, but they would rather get their rocks off beating down some poor kid on a $200 Rockhopper who hasn't ever raced before. And then those same asshats wonder why more noobs don't get involved in racing :dead:
This has pissed me off to no end. I've come to the conclusion that most people are just afraid to lose. They'd just rather podium :(

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Crazy Sweeper said:
So after MBW this weekend, Treesaw, Echo, and SQ-Earl have somehow planted a race bug in my head and I think I'd at least like to try racing. So where do I start? How do I find schedules for races near me? I'd also like to know what races would be good for a first time racer? I'm not expecting to do great, I just want to try it out. I've seen a couple races and I know that a large number of non-beginners race in the beginner class. Any help?
What type of racing are you thinking of trying?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Heidi said:
This has pissed me off to no end. I've come to the conclusion that most people are just afraid to lose. They'd just rather podium :(
In comparison to road racing, there is a huge stigma to racing the beginner (Cat 5) category. But most importantly, the lower the category, the more likely a pack crash will occur. The lower categories are notorious for getting hurt...

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
I might want to get into endurance racing next year, but as for right now I just want to try racing for the sake of trying it. I'm thinking beginner class because: 1)I am, I've only been riding since last year, and 2)I don't know if I'm ready for a long race yet.

Also, how do I get ready for a race?

And, should I worry about my bike weighing 40lbs?

MMcG-no I sold the raleigh to get a friend into riding, I think it was a worthy sacrifice

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
stoney98 said:
I hear ya. I worry that I would have too much bikey skills, but my legs/lungs are poo. I guess I'll just put in a bunch of miles on the road, then start at sport.
Stone,

I race Jr.X DH, and last year me and my friends (all Jr.X) entered a XC race last year. We entered beginner and I won, and i hadn't ridden in awhile. Your bike skills will get you way past beginner class. XC racing is fun and a good change from DH.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
anybody know anything about this race?

Not too far from me, I could definitely preride it.

and whats all this norba stuff, should I just pay the non member fee?

also, should I race beginner or first timer? I've seen a first timer lap on one race and it only took about 20 mins to complete=waste of time.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Crazy Sweeper said:
anybody know anything about this race?

Not too far from me, I could definitely preride it.

and whats all this norba stuff, should I just pay the non member fee?

also, should I race beginner or first timer? I've seen a first timer lap on one race and it only took about 20 mins to complete=waste of time.
Just do the one day license until you decide if you like it and are going to do enough to warrant paying for the annual license.

Might as well do beginner to get more for your money.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
Just do the one day license until you decide if you like it and are going to do enough to warrant paying for the annual license.

Might as well do beginner to get more for your money.

I agree do beginner, and pay the extra $5 (compared to getting an annual license(I think its $60) that would expire Dec 31)

norba hooks the venue up w/insurance & makes sure everything is "official"

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:

in my last xc race one of the guys in my group used to race expert, he ended up getting 3rd, if I was the dude that got 4th I think I'd be pretty annoyed.

I did 1 sport XC in '03, 4 last year and so far this year 2 (20th/34 & 1st/13)......the 1st race I gave everyting I had and was beat by 19 guys BUT in my last race being I got a (my 1st) win, I think it would be wrong to race sport again next year, but I am not sure if I will have the dedication to train to race expert knowing even If I did, I'd be coming in last every race.

same thing happened with me & DH, I decided I did good enough that I needed to move up/out of sport, but I didnt/dont have the dedication to race expert.

Hmm, maybe '06 is will be a road race year?? or even better a goof off year :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:
I did 1 sport XC in '03, 4 last year and so far this year 2 (20th/34 & 1st/13)......the 1st race I gave everyting I had and was beat by 19 guys BUT in my last race being I got a (my 1st) win, I think it would be wrong to race sport again next year, but I am not sure if I will have the dedication to train to race expert knowing even If I did, I'd be coming in last every race.
I'm curious why after a 20th/34 and a 1st/13 this season, you think it would be wrong to race sport again next year. I guess if you dominated the field but were beaten by 19 sandbaggers in the first race, then maybe I could understand. But it seems to me that you are still middle of the pack when it comes to sport. Sure, you won the second race, but didn't make it into the top half of the first race.

Being someone who's never raced before, I'm just curious about how things work... about the "ethics" of racing.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
jacksonpt said:
I'm curious why after a 20th/34 and a 1st/13 this season, you think it would be wrong to race sport again next year. I guess if you dominated the field but were beaten by 19 sandbaggers in the first race, then maybe I could understand. But it seems to me that you are still middle of the pack when it comes to sport. Sure, you won the second race, but didn't make it into the top half of the first race.

Being someone who's never raced before, I'm just curious about how things work... about the "ethics" of racing.

race#1 (root66) series seems to have a faster group of riders compared to masters of the mountain (race#2)

last I knew NORBA"S rule is:

Five top 5 finishes or three top 3 and you have to move up, the catch being there has to be 15 people in your group. catch#2 is if this happens mid year & you are trying to do well in a series you can delay your move up until next year.

I already have 3 top 3's, actually 4 - but so far they have all been in races with less than 15, so 'officially' I do not need to move up.

BUT, The masters of the mountain series is what I consider my local series, I podiumed all 3 last year and I like I said I won this years 1st one, I plan to do the other 2 and plan to do well in both.....so I personal feel I need to either move up or not race that series next year. Basically, I would feel like a total sandbagger if I did sport there next year.

If I do move up and do a root66 next year, I am 100% sure my ass will be immensely kicked - but, oh well.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
douglas said:

BUT, The masters of the mountain series is what I consider my local series, I podiumed all 3 last year and I like I said I won this years 1st one, I plan to do the other 2 and plan to do well in both.....so I personal feel I need to either move up or not race that series next year. Basically, I would feel like a total sandbagger if I did sport there next year.
ah, ok... makes sense.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
in my last xc race one of the guys in my group used to race expert, he ended up getting 3rd, if I was the dude that got 4th I think I'd be pretty annoyed.

same thing happened with me & DH, I decided I did good enough that I needed to move up/out of sport, but I didnt/dont have the dedication to race expert.

Hmm, maybe '06 is will be a road race year?? or even better a goof off year :thumb:
The age old issue - when to move up. I have just always wanted to race at the highest level possible for the longest distance possible :) If you don't want to train hard, then ya, sport is probably cool. Definitely race road at least once though. I think you should join the circuit RM and I want to host. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
The age old issue - when to move up. I have just always wanted to race at the highest level possible for the longest distance possible :) If you don't want to train hard, then ya, sport is probably cool. Definitely race road at least once though. I think you should join the circuit RM and I want to host. :)

I did my 1st road race last week, a TT - got 5th/7......and a 70 plus dude (obviously in a dif catagory) kicked all 7 of us cat 5 guys asses :eek:

what's that (the circuit RM) ??

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
douglas said:
what's that (the circuit RM) ??
It's Aaron's old idea enhanced a bit. :) It brings racing back down to it's roots and away from the centering on pros and catering to whiners. It's short track, only with jumps, water crossing, technical sections, and lots of obstacles.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Heidi said:
It's Aaron's old idea enhanced a bit. :) It brings racing back down to it's roots and away from the centering on pros and catering to whiners. It's short track, only with jumps, water crossing, technical sections, and lots of obstacles.

nice........sounds like fun

"obstacles" > how about a jump thru a ring of fire into a water crossing (just in case) :dancing: