Quantcast

Thinking about racing

Dec 3, 2009
Connecticut
So I'm considering racing DH for my college's mountain bike team next year. I am most likely going to, but I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions or tips for someone just starting to race.
I'm also not sure what class to start racing in. I was thinking cat 3 or 2. I'm not a begginer at mountain biking, but I am at racing. I would start out in cat 3 to play it safe, but I'm not really sure how fast cat 3 riders are.
Thanks guys :weee:

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Collegiate racing is a great way to start. its a little more relaxed then regular racing. i would say start of racing class "C" (thats collegiate version of cat 3) you will know after one race if your in the right spot.

What school will you be racing for?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I started racing in expert, but that was because a couple of my friends raced and said I should. first race got 12th or so, after that I was on the podium every time, even won one race that first year.
So, if you have friends that race, try keeping up with them and see how you do and see what they recommend.

otherwise, cat 3.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Joelsman. Quick question, I might be going off to school from community college eventually here. What all does collegiate racing entail? Do they give assistance paying for bikes, parts, race fees, commodities while traveling? Do you have a team that you train with or anything?

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
Joelsman. Quick question, I might be going off to school from community college eventually here. What all does collegiate racing entail? Do they give assistance paying for bikes, parts, race fees, commodities while traveling? Do you have a team that you train with or anything?
Really depends on the school. My school is a D2 team and we had to pay $200 to be on the team and they paid for all entry fees and transportation. every school is different. my guess is if its a community college your going to be on your own for the most part. as far as i know only a few schools treat it like a varsity sport like football and basketball and pay for everything.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
The thing that improved for me after my first race was my nerves waiting in the gate. By my 3rd race I was no longer nervous but excited.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Really depends on the school. My school is a D2 team and we had to pay $200 to be on the team and they paid for all entry fees and transportation. every school is different. my guess is if its a community college your going to be on your own for the most part. as far as i know only a few schools treat it like a varsity sport like football and basketball and pay for everything.
I know about the limited funding from community college. But I may be transferring out to a bigger college eventually here.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I was D1, and we had zero funding. You paid $50 to be on the team, but that got you access to the team sponsors at cost pricing.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
If you're racing for a community college, make sure you have all the required licensing. I don't remember exactly what was needed, but they wouldn't let me race collegiate until I had the correct paper work turned in (USA Cycling that is).

uzziman

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Charlotte
Our school has a team but we don't get anything at all. like people have said before, it all depends on your school. I would suggest C class just for the first race, but just have fun with it

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Race cat 3 unless you're a natural ripper. If you podium, move up. At GES nats, there were a lot of fast kids in category 2, and you're on the same course, usually, for 2 and 3. One race should tell you where you belong! If you win, more points for your team!

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
it took me forever to start racing but now i'm completely addicted to it. i've ridden dh for a long time, i think for about 10 years, and now i'm old...36. i started in cat 2 and it has worked out i won a couple and almost won my class for the year (big deal right?). but it really is fun and brought dh back to life for me...

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I started in cat 3 in the local DH class. im not fast by any means and i got killed!!! it seemed pretty lame when the person who won cat 3 could have placed in the top 5 in cat 1 and top ten in pro class. It seems to go that way in every race though. people would rather take first in cat 3 then second or third in cat 2 or 1.

like stated above. just start in 3 and if you are winning everytime then go up.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
contact the school team(s) that you are planing on joining for the cost stuff. and remember to have fun, fast and smooth.