Quantcast

Thinking about replacing my bike

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have an Azonic Saber right now I have been on it for 2 seasons. Its incredible to ride its like a tank and it gets me over every thing. But the frame has some problems. The clear coat was really thin so any place that got a scratch now has some really nasty corrasion. I think its from me sweating like a pig on the long climbs we have here and me keeping in the basement witch is damp. Either way its gotten bad. So im thinking Either replace it get it cleaned up and powder coated. I guess I want recommendation for replacement frames. The only thing I have seen like my Saber are the Eallsworth moments and the new Fuji thrill. I just don’t want to pay the money for the Moment and im questing the quality of the fuji.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I'd think if you like the frame so much, just get it powdercoated. I dunno what that corrosion is, but aluminum doesn't really rust, so whatever it is it's prolly just cosmetic. No reason to replace a frame you love with something unknown just on looks.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
SuboptimusPrime said:
I'd think if you like the frame so much, just get it powdercoated. I dunno what that corrosion is, but aluminum doesn't really rust, so whatever it is it's prolly just cosmetic. No reason to replace a frame you love with something unknown just on looks.

I talked to spectrum power works about the frame. They told me that if its just on the surface that there bead blasting will take it off and the powder coat will cover it just fine. But if its not it would cause the powder cote to come off.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Sir_Crackien said:
you may not want to bead blast the frame. the pipe are faily thin and can damage them. you migth want to think about that
its an Azonic..... its made of actual metal. dont be worried, its not a 3 lb road bike.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
dude have you ever seen the cross section of even a heavy frame? i have and there is still much much there! more than road and xc but still not much. most of the extra weight cmoes from bigger shocks and th larger and burlier linkages!

think about it more next time. i have seen more than one frame ruined because people got gun ho about thing like this!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
but i'm all for the powder coat idea just watch out for media blasting. look into getting it walnut blasted instead it much more gentail with the metal and will still remove all of the other stuff SAFELY. its more expensive though and can be hard to find but worth the money

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
spectrum knows what they're doing they don't actualy sand-blast I think they use plastic beads but don't quote me on that, anyway take it to them and let'em do there thing, I was just a Adrenaline bikes today and they had a Yeti ASX fresh back from spectrum, only turquoise one ever, and it looked flawless.
But just to be safe get another bike also, having lots of bikes is good for you.

johnbrittain

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Amarillo, Texas
word to the wise, dont fVck with fuji, my friend trashed two fuji frames in less than a month, on just street riding and stuff like that. no offense to any fuji owners, but those bikes are shabby stuff.