Quantcast

Thinking is dangerous...

So let's say I was going to climb on the fat tire bike in New Haven, Vermont, with some vague idea of pedal pedal pedal so as to wind up, say, in S.F., weaving in as much off-road riding as I could manage, self-supported.

Route or other suggestions?

Not going to do it tomorrow, but I'm thinkin'.

Not sure what you're asking, but the idea would be to stitch together places with good trails and ride 'em as part of the trip. My place to Snake Mountain, ride it. There to Saratoga Springs. Ride the trails there. Maybe through Pennsylvania, with trail networks as waypoints to guide the overall route. Not thinking about driving a car from A to B, want to pedal.

I do not have spousal approval for the idea at this point...

Fat bike as in Pugsley type or motorcycle?
Neither. I ride a heckler. I meant not a road bike.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have been told there is some good riding up this way. The rework on Sandy Ridge, Stub Stewart, Powell Butte, Black Rock, just to name a few. The Heckler would do well around here.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I would start state by state between you and your destination. Go to mtbr and try to find local riders who can help you map out both trails and safe road routes. Also make plans to stop in and see people where you can.

I'd also bring an extra set of tires. Ride slicks on the road, and change tires when you get to more dirt. You should also research paniers.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Sounds like fun. The route planning part will prove to be the most difficult. Execution would be mentally and physically challenging and very memorable. Someday I would like to do a bike trip of this sort. Having owned one, I think I'd go with a converted mtb with an Xtracycle or maybe even just go for a Surly Big Dummy.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Put "New Haven" in Google maps, then ask for directions to "San Francisco" via "Bicycling". Then follow what it says. (1531 steps...)

Note:

Bicycling directions are in beta.
Use caution and please report unmapped bike routes, streets that aren't suited for cycling, and other problems here.

I have been thinking of something like that for years , only My plan is to fly me and my bike to San Fran , and then ride back home.
Herb pointed out that the prevailing winds are west to east, which would help. I have also considered home to Cafayate, Argentina, which would be more ambitious.

If I was dumb enough to do either, I'd like to do so carrying the least amount of equipment possible, close to nothing.

Just thinking.

You should stop thinking, you're not very good at it.
Given that we seem to share that, perhaps you should consider joining the stupid if it happens. You might come out the other end weighing 160 pounds.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
True. But I refuse to ride in Arizona unless its December if we're hauling gear.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I would start state by state between you and your destination. Go to mtbr and try to find local riders who can help you map out both trails and safe road routes. Also make plans to stop in and see people where you can.

I'd also bring an extra set of tires. Ride slicks on the road, and change tires when you get to more dirt. You should also research paniers.
Having to change tires would be a major PIA, but so would riding proper mtb tires for such a long time on the road.

Flying to SF and riding back sounds like a better plan imo.

I'd at least give this a cursory look for the "Eastern" part of the trip:

http://northcountrytrail.org/
Interesting. too bad it's theoretical at present in eastern New York State - Crown Point is right across the Champlain Bridge from our camp in Addison.

Having to change tires would be a major PIA, but so would riding proper mtb tires for such a long time on the road.

Flying to SF and riding back sounds like a better plan imo.
I think I'd put up with the mountain tires - changing would be a major PITA, especially with tubeless, and I would want to travel as light as I possibly could.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Herb pointed out that the prevailing winds are west to east, which would help. I have also considered home to Cafayate, Argentina, which would be more ambitious.
Not necessarily true:

http://hint.fm/wind/

Consider a Houston to South Dakota spin with a sail attached to your bike? :D

If you're going to go to Argentina, do it right and start from Prudhoe Bay... heh.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Your experience might be different, but to me those are completely unrelated (diametrically opposed?) goals: To ride across the country, and to mtn bike at different areas across the country.

Being self-supported means you're dragging all of your stuff (trailer?), which means that you'd have to drop it off somewhere before riding. I can't imagine that mtn biking would be much fun dragging all your equipment behind you.

Alternatively, doing 4,000 miles on a mtn bike with knobby tires sounds like pure and utter hell to me. I can't imagine going off to have fun on single-track after trying to ride a mtn bike (and pulling ~40lbs of gear) 500 miles from one riding spot to the next...

But in true RM fashion, I say GO FOR IT! Post pictures for us too!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Not necessarily true:

http://hint.fm/wind/

Consider a Houston to South Dakota spin with a sail attached to your bike? :D

If you're going to go to Argentina, do it right and start from Prudhoe Bay... heh.
See how the winds are seemingly afraid of Mexico and Canada? Weird Huh? Look at how when they get to Florida, they are hey lets get the phug out of here....

Your experience might be different, but to me those are completely unrelated (diametrically opposed?) goals: To ride across the country, and to mtn bike at different areas across the country.

Being self-supported means you're dragging all of your stuff (trailer?), which means that you'd have to drop it off somewhere before riding. I can't imagine that mtn biking would be much fun dragging all your equipment behind you.

Alternatively, doing 4,000 miles on a mtn bike with knobby tires sounds like pure and utter hell to me. I can't imagine going off to have fun on single-track after trying to ride a mtn bike (and pulling ~40lbs of gear) 500 miles from one riding spot to the next...

But in true RM fashion, I say GO FOR IT! Post pictures for us too!
I'd like to bag the stuff. Ride with absolutely minimum kit. I'm just slinging ideas around. I asked for suggestions in January and wound up having one of the most wonderful experiences in my life after following a suggestion posted here.

It's like shooting up. You get some, you want more.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'd like to bag the stuff. Ride with absolutely minimum kit. I'm just slinging ideas around. I asked for suggestions in January and wound up having one of the most wonderful experiences in my life after following a suggestion posted here.

Jeezus, dude. You don't have to go straight from shootin' up once to overdosing and killing yourself.

Baby steps:

http://coloradotrail.org/bike.html

:brows:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

My Friend Alex from TBI rehab has retired and bought a mobile home. He was planning to sell his home and Hike the AT this year. Well as what happened to a lot of us that have recovered. You get involved in life again and you realize it is very hard to give it all up and take on something like a AT Hike.
I digress. His plan was to take his partner with him and he would hike and his partner would meet him at a waypoint they would camp together in the camper and as time progressed he would be afforded the chance to hike the AT. The thought of sharing the experience together was exciting to them both (as might be the case if presented to your wife...). His partner now has Prostrate cancer and is unable to participate in Alex's dream now. Bill Bryson of Walk in the woods fame Hiked the AT using the Mail to resupply himself method. I brought this to Alex's attention and volunteered to be his supply person. He is now planning on starting his trip next March if he can....

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Dude, I'd do it. Come down to DC, we'll do the C&O canal up to where the trail to Pittsburgh picks up.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My uncle got me into this sort of thing when I was a Junior in high school. Talked me into walking the PCT with him, and while we didn't finish it, it was some of the most amazing time in my life.

That all being said, he passed a few years ago on the PCT. Fell off the side to his death. He went doing what he loved. I hope when I meet my maker I make the introduction in the same way.

So I say go for it. Damn what everyone, including myself, has to say on the subject.

Like Wooderson said:
Man, it's the same bull**** they tried to pull in my day. If it ain't that piece of paper, there's some other choice they're gonna try and make for you. You gotta do what Randall Pink Floyd wants to do man. Let me tell you this, the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have rode a few sections of the CO. trail. I have that as a high priority to ride the entire length very soon.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Friend Alex from TBI rehab has retired and bought a mobile home. He was planning to sell his home and Hike the AT this year. Well as what happened to a lot of us that have recovered. You get involved in life again and you realize it is very hard to give it all up and take on something like a AT Hike.
I digress. His plan was to take his partner with him and he would hike and his partner would meet him at a waypoint they would camp together in the camper and as time progressed he would be afforded the chance to hike the AT. The thought of sharing the experience together was exciting to them both (as might be the case if presented to your wife...). His partner now has Prostrate cancer and is unable to participate in Alex's dream now. Bill Bryson of Walk in the woods fame Hiked the AT using the Mail to resupply himself method. I brought this to Alex's attention and volunteered to be his supply person. He is now planning on starting his trip next March if he can....
Dude Hiked more miles last month then I have on my bike. He only has 10 miles left of the Finger Lakes Trail....