Quantcast

Thinking of a long summer road trip. Driving/schedule question?

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
We're thinking of hitting the freeways in August for a 2 week road trip. We leave San Diego and we want to head east towards NM, to TN then Diablo - NY then back thru the midwest then CO and maybe wrap up at Mammoth.

Is two-week going to be enough to drive and hit that much riding spots? We're worried that by week one we're still in the South.

We want to hit Angel Fire, (is there a lift accessed resort in TN?), Diablo definitely, somewhere in NY, Sand Point, Durango or Vail, Brian Head or Deer Valley. It would be nice to meet and ride with some monkeys around the areas listed above.

So back to the question, is two-weeks enough for the drive time alone? Or should we just focus on few ride spots to cover more distance in less days?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
When I drove to Tucson, AZ from Rochester it was 3 pretty long days each way. I think you need 3 weeks minimum, otherwise you will be rushed the whole trip and never have time to enjoy yourselves.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I used to drive from Massachusetts to New Orleans a couple of times a year and that was 2, at least 12 hour days of driving and that was going at a pretty good clip. I wouldn't want to try and have a good time riding after sitting in the car for 12 hours the day before. I would think that 3 weeks would be better so you have some easy driving days rather than killing yourself to get to the next stop.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'm driving from Norcal -> MA and taking 2 weeks and even with that amount of time I'm going to be missing out on a bunch of places that I wanted to ride at.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Diablo was like Laguna beach this weekend. Bunch of f'ing little kids with bikes their parents bought them and some dumb chicks following them around in their tank tops.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Shyrmp said:
We might have to change plans or way consolidate the ideal trip then. Thanks for the input. Orvs really wants to hit the NY spots.

......back to the drawing board.
Werd. Tell him to bring it! :thumb:

J

JRB

Can I submit a list of people I would like you to kick in the crotch???

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
There isn't a lift assisted mtn in TN, but there is windrock - which is what I'm assuming your talking about. I don't want to go putting words in other people's mouths, so Joey (dhbuilder) and Doug (profro) would probably be the ones to talk to and they can give you the low down and answer questions. I don't know if this mtn is on your plate, but from the cats I've met who have ridden all over, it comes highly recommended. Then Snowshoe is ~6hours north too.

I've never made the cross country trip so I can't help you on logistics...but I think it might require more time. Quit your jobs and spend 3 months or so traveling and riding and eating and meeting local people and all that. Thats what I would like to do!

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Heather, keep us informed on the dates you'll be where once you get that all figured out. It'd be a blast to meet up with you guys and ride somewhere in CO or even down at Angelfire. :)

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
hmmm NY huh?? 2 weeks is not enough... it takes a mighty long ti me to croos the US.. maybe fly one way drive back or something..

it would be pretty insane if you guys came to NY.. plus youd have a tour guide!!!!

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Shyrmp said:
We're thinking of hitting the freeways in August for a 2 week road trip. We leave San Diego and we want to head east towards NM, to TN then Diablo - NY then back thru the midwest then CO and maybe wrap up at Mammoth.

Is two-week going to be enough to drive and hit that much riding spots? We're worried that by week one we're still in the South.

We want to hit Angel Fire, (is there a lift accessed resort in TN?), Diablo definitely, somewhere in NY, Sand Point, Durango or Vail, Brian Head or Deer Valley. It would be nice to meet and ride with some monkeys around the areas listed above.

So back to the question, is two-weeks enough for the drive time alone? Or should we just focus on few ride spots to cover more distance in less days?
Come to the PNW and Whistler. 2 weeks should give you a fair amount of time to ride while making time for the drive too.

Here's some friend's pix from this weekend:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1915528

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Definitely hit up Brian Head and the whole Zion area if you're driving east...I can get you in touch with Derek (formerly of SD) if you're headed that way. He can show you all the good stuff. Might be getting a bit hot right now, though...it's best in mid-fall.

Maybe do the PNW this summer, and head eastish for a fall trip?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
d.e.f. said:
There isn't a lift assisted mtn in TN, but there is windrock - which is what I'm assuming your talking about. I don't want to go putting words in other people's mouths, so Joey (dhbuilder) and Doug (profro) would probably be the ones to talk to and they can give you the low down and answer questions. I don't know if this mtn is on your plate, but from the cats I've met who have ridden all over, it comes highly recommended. Then Snowshoe is ~6hours north too.

I've never made the cross country trip so I can't help you on logistics...but I think it might require more time. Quit your jobs and spend 3 months or so traveling and riding and eating and meeting local people and all that. Thats what I would like to do!

I second this post. Windrock should definately be a place you stop by on the try. It's my favorite place to ride out of all the places I've been to on the east coast.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
sandpoint? Thats a bit out of the way if you ask me. but if you can hit all the resorts in CO and UT on the way back, it would be pretty epic, brianhead is super cool, and deer valley has the slowest lift ever, but a fun ride for a day.

Shyrmp

Nekkid Girl Gone Wild
Dec 31, 2002
The suburbs of Mexico.....
Velocity Girl said:
Come north to Whistler :D
Orven's freeride license has been revoked.

We really want to hit up a lot of spots in different places -road trip.
East coast is getting farther out of reach for the time being.
CO, UT and NM...hmmmm